1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Step I and anatomy, embryo and histo.

Discussion in 'Step I' started by Tastebuds, May 7, 2007.

1. Tastebuds

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Can anyone enlighten me on how much time I should spend studying anatomy, embryo and histo for Step I. Are these subjects heavily tested on step I? Also, are first aid and the kaplan book enough? These subjects are not my strong points :(

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. flumazenil

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    no one really knows what subjects are heavily tested on step 1. your duty is to study hard and smart and learn the main concepts on what the books say are important and the types of questions you keep getting ( brachial plexus , lumbosacral plexus, knee joint, blood supply to gut, dural venous sinuses, etc) Try doing USMLE World questions on anatomy section and you will see what types of questions they feel are relevant. If i had to pick out of the anatomy discipline I would have to say embryology, then brachial/lumbosacral plexus, and neuroanatomy are the highest yield.

4. lord_jeebus

lord_jeebus 和魂洋才
    Moderator Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I had way more neuroanatomy than embryo

5. goodies

goodies Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    is it worth it to read through roadmap neuroanatomy or woudld that be overkill?

6. blz

blz Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Do all three before you start each organ system. so for example, i'm doing cardio today. the plan: start the day with cardio anatomy, histo, embryo - move on to brs for cardio phys - finish with goljan path and pharm recall for cardio pharm. yep, long day today, but it must be done. i also do 50qs in the morning and 50qs to end the day.

i actually already read HY embryo because it's good to get a good overview of embryo and how all the systems are related developmentally before you single each one out.

7. ginger60

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Studying histo separately is not really necessary unless you didn't learn it at all during your classes. One thing that is high yield is to look at pictures--the images at the back of FA for anatomy and histo are helpful. As for anatomy, I think that neuroanatomy is pretty high yield but you don't need to know too much detail--FA covers a lot of the necessary stuff, and I think I spent half a day reviewing a few other sources (neuroanatomy MRS for an overview, HY neuroanatomy as well but it is too detailed to read all of it). I know that practically all the general anatomy on my exam was in FA and I only had to memorize those sections, although I have heard horror stories of people getting an anatomy-heavy test so its kind of hard to predict. You will probably get screwed on a couple of random questions regardless of how much you study, however the comment about doing anatomy questions is good, and I would also devote part of an afternoon to reading HY embyrology in the days before your exam.