Step I and Gen Surg

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by Sede Vacante, Apr 4, 2002.

1. Sede Vacante

Sede Vacante New Member

I hope that this question hasn't been asked and answered, but I did search the board and didn't find it, so here goes...

Is there a generally recognized minimum Step I score for general surg residencies? My spouse is an MS3 at a Boston school (not Harvard), loves surg and it shows - performs very well in clerkships and can get great recommendations. But is not AOA and had a Step I of 206 (it was a heartbreak, she studied plenty hard but tests have always been a weak spot, even back to the SATs).

Any comments or thoughts appreciated -

P.S. - As a non-doctor, let me just say that I don't know how you guys do it. You study and train longer and harder than any other profession, your compensation is declining, you have to deal with HMOs and Medicare, you are the subject of frivolous lawsuits, and the public is constantly whining and expects you to provide services for free. We in this country really need to wake up, respect you more, and realize how spectacular our doctors are.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Jim Picotte

Jim Picotte Senior Member

She'll probably be fine. A 206 is just a few points below average and US seniors only filled 75% of the categorical surgery spots this year. Now if she wants to go to a very competitive program, she may have more difficulty but I really wouldn't worry about it. Especially if she's a hard worker, gets good letters and does well in her clerkships she'll get into a very good surgical residency.

4. Tigger14

Tigger14 Ready to move

Resident [Any Field]
    My score was lower than that and I matched at my first choice. As it was said before, unless she is looking at a top academic program, a lot of other things can affect how she matches. I dramatically increased my Step 2 score, had excellent 3/4 year grades, letters and Dean's letter, and it balanced a yucky step one score. :cool: Good luck!