devildoc2

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2003
Visit site
Status
OK, I am the dumbest person at my med school, and will finish near the bottom of the class.

For my Step I prep, the only thing I did was:

1) casually read First Aid once over without really memorizing anything or retaining that much info. Let me say this again: i did not retain much at all from First Aid, it was just a very casual read one time thru. I did not memorize anything from it.

2) do every single question in Qbank at least twice, taking time to understand the right as well as wrong answers.

I got my score back today: 225

Yes, I know thats a mediocre score, but I think its important to recognize that I got that score from ONLY Qbank without using ANY other sources.

So my conclusion is that YES, knowing Qbank inside and out will give you almost an automatic pass on the Step I. It might even get you to hte national mean score (like me). But beyond that you need to use other sources.

ndspider

Lurk
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
Wow,
Since I didn't recieve my score yet this could be good news or bad news for me!
I did do Q-bank like crack. So hopefully I can expect a score in the same range... it would make me happy.
Nice job.

Dr. Rosenrose

HELP
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2004
Dirty South
Status
WOW! YOU MUST BE THE SMARTEST GUY ON HERE!...There, is that what you needed? Or do you also want me to mention how much cooler and more attractive you are than the rest of us that study?

About the Ads

superoxide

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2006
Munich, Germany
Status
Dr. Rosenrose said:
WOW! YOU MUST BE THE SMARTEST GUY ON HERE!...There, is that what you needed? Or do you also want me to mention how much cooler and more attractive you are than the rest of us that study?
Thats a bit uncalled for. I dont think he/she was fishing for compliments. He/she was just sharing his/her experience. Congratulations devildoc...your hardwork has paid off. Thats a very good score :thumbup:

Fif the Great

Slowly Cracking Up
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2004
Status
Dr. Rosenrose said:
Studying is for chumps. :D

YouDontKnowJack

I no something you don't
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2005
Status
this is a good post.

it would even be better if others would be willing to try this method.

a while back, i did a little experiment with first aid only and NBME form 1. First aid was enough to get a 220 equivalent on the nbme. I did not rely on any past knowledge to answer the questions. I am also ranked in the bottom quarter of my class.

medhacker

We can end world poverty!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2005
It's all 'bout God's strategy
Status
Dr. Rosenrose said:
:thumbdown:

FutureDocDO

1K Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Congrats and thanks for sharing! It helps to know that it's possible to pass confortably when your grades make you doubt yourself.
devildoc2 said:
OK, I am the dumbest person at my med school, and will finish near the bottom of the class.

1) casually read First Aid once over without really memorizing anything or retaining that much info. Let me say this again: i did not retain much at all from First Aid, it was just a very casual read one time thru. I did not memorize anything from it.

2) do every single question in Qbank at least twice, taking time to understand the right as well as wrong answers.

Yes, I know thats a mediocre score, but I think its important to recognize that I got that score from ONLY Qbank without using ANY other sources.

So my conclusion is that YES, knowing Qbank inside and out will give you almost an automatic pass on the Step I. It might even get you to hte national mean score (like me). But beyond that you need to use other sources.

thackl

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2003
Austin, TX
Visit site
Status
Bottom of the class to a 225 nationally is a huge jump. Congrats!
devildoc2 said:

Dr. Rosenrose

HELP
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2004
Dirty South
Status
I am sorry for the above post. I highly recomend that those in the bottom of the class only memorize q-bank. If I were you I wouldn't even bother looking at FA. I actually look forward to you pulling down the averge step1 score so my score looks even better. I am sure you can just pick up the knowledge some where along the way to manage the health of your future patients. Best of luck to ya!

LAZYGUY

Playing the match game
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
isolation....
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
Dr. Rosenrose said:
I am sorry for the above post. I highly recomend that those in the bottom of the class only memorize q-bank. If I were you I wouldn't even bother looking at FA. I actually look forward to you pulling down the averge step1 score so my score looks even better. I am sure you can just pick up the knowledge some where along the way to manage the health of your future patients. Best of luck to ya!
:thumbdown:

thackl

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2003
Austin, TX
Visit site
Status
Dr. Rosenrose said:
****!-off. Like M1&2 really matter for that anyway.

Dr. Rosenrose

HELP
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2004
Dirty South
Status
How's that? All i am saying is that if you are at the bottom of your class you might want to put a little more effort into step 1 prep than just learning q-bank. it is misleading to tell people that you are an idiot and only memorized q-bank and did 8 points above the national average. but i am the "meanie"

superoxide

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2006
Munich, Germany
Status
Dr. Rosenrose said:
How's that? All i am saying is that if you are at the bottom of your class you might want to put a little more effort into step 1 prep than just learning q-bank. it is misleading to tell people that you are an idiot and only memorized q-bank and did 8 points above the national average. but i am the "meanie"
I think the OP has put in a lot of effort (Going through Qbank questions and answers 2-3 times and understanding the material as he stated) is no easy task.

YouDontKnowJack

I no something you don't
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2005
Status
dude. zip up your pants.

all he's saying is that qbank is a very good tool for helping you do at least decently on step 1.

Dr. Rosenrose

HELP
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2004
Dirty South
Status
ok, i am a dick . but he did not say memorize q-bank and do ok, he said "step 1 is easy". pass with qbank alone. i think that it is bad advice and i will leave it at that. if you dont like my opinion, i care.

About the Ads