Step I scores and matched programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tekram

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering those who just started could post step 1 scores they got and what program they mateched at to get an idea of what the prgrams look for. (i am particularly intersted in UCSF, Stanford, UMich, MGH, Duke, NYU, Columbia, UofWashington, UCLA, and UofChicago but i figure there are others interested in otehr programs.)

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think this would be very helpful...please post

I was in the 240's for step 1 and didn't take step 2 until after the match. I went to UCSF and matched at Penn (1st choice). I know for a fact that UCSF doesn't care about board scores as much as it does about IM clerkship, SubI, WHERE you went to med school and AOA. I think board scores matter more for applicants that are coming from a school that isn't considered elite by the admission snobs. My understanding is that boards are used more as part of the initial screening and rarely ever are used to decided who actually matched once the interview is granted.

260, University of Michigan

I tend to agree with the above statement, while board scores are one helpful element that can open the door, they will likely consider your clerkship and sub-I grades, and letters of rec more impt.
I think for me the scores mattered a bit more b/c I didn't come from a top twenty med school or anything like some of the other posters.
Also, I suspect, though I can't confirm, that scores beyond 240 don't really add anything additional.

Hope this helps.