Step I scores at top tier programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

footprints

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congratulations to those who recently matched and goodluck to those who are scrambling. I am applying next year & have a few questions:

1. What are average step I scores for those who matched at some of the top tier programs (MGH, BID, Hopkins, UCSF, UCLA etc...)?

2. Would it increase one's chance of getting an interview at these institutions if one were to do an audition rotation there?

3. How heavily weighted are Step I scores?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There are no real answers to your questions. As you probably have read in many of the forums here, most schools look at the complete package. If you are interested in the top programs, I would say that you should aim for AT LEAST a 230. Many programs do use this number as a cutoff, although not all. I wouldn't be surprised if the average Step 1 score at many of the more desired programs is considerably higher (my guess would in the low 240's). Then again, this doesn't hold for all programs. If you perform just okay on Step 1 but kill Step 2 (and have your score in before your interview), I am sure some programs would forget your Step 1 score (especially since Step 2 is probably a much better indicator as to how you will perform as a resident).

Of course, if you do an away rotation at one of these places, and perform well and obtain a good letter of recommendation (and maybe meet the program director), it can't hurt.

And to answer your final question, each school factors in Step 1 differently. I would say that most of the top programs have a cutoff, but once you are past this cutoff, it doens't matter how much higher you scored. Your clinical grades (especially in medicine), LORs, research, extracurriculars, and interview are all important.