Transformers

10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2007
Status
This sounds silly and sorry to rant...but having just finished up Step Up To Medicine + Uworld 2-Medicine questions (currently Im on my medicine shelf), I'm realizing knowledge-wise and problem-wise the only additions to my fully-annotated First Aid Step I knowledge (from Step I UWorld + Pathoma) are based on just what I've done are:

1.) Workup of chief complaints
2.) Step-wise Management and Diagnosis of diseases from first 2 years

Other than that, you take out gen micro, gen immuno, embryo, anatomy, mechanistic stuff and all the biopsy/path stuff and throw in longer question stems with more lab values and a harder differential, and that is what the questions on Uworld Step 2 appear to be like because aside from the addition of cheif complaints/management stuff, I'm not noticing a significant knowledge gain from the first two years. Did anyone else feel that way?

My point being, I feel like I wasted my time reading Step Up and felt I should've just done problems and looked up the workup of chief complaints/diseases more (maybe like 1/20th of step up) and management than pouring through that dense book. A good example-even my stuff from First Aid Step I sufficed for all the UWorld Step 2 psych questions.

Last edited:

calvnandhobbs68

I KNOW NOTHING
7+ Year Member
May 20, 2010
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
It's pretty true. I even went back to Pathoma to study for my medicine shelf, which was surprisingly helpful.

OP
Transformers

Transformers

10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2007
Status
It's pretty true. I even went back to Pathoma to study for my medicine shelf, which was surprisingly helpful.
Yeah I only criticize this because im sure when we all studied for Step I, we had these photographic schema in our head for different categories of diseases/drugs...however, reading the tome that Step Up is with a lot of redundant info kinda sucked...for Step 2, I'm just thinking of adding little post-its of Diagnosis and Management to my First Aid Step I book book and heck using that to study for boards along with my Anki errors from Uworld/MKSAP. Because when it comes down to it, an annotated (with Pathoma + Uworld Step I) Uworld First Aid step I was a pretty dense book to master. I feel like my medicine rotation/step up just gave some pearls to systematic management but lets be real, in no way will it be easy to master that book word for word