Step I vs USMLE released sample items

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cchoukal

Volunteer Staff
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a repeat, but I was wondering how the USMLE sample items compare to actual USMLE exams. I ask because I'm not doing so hot on Kaplan (like 60%), but I killed on the USMLE items. There seems to be a clear difference in difficulty. Which questions (Kaplan or USMLE) are more like the actual exam? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't taken the USMLE yet, but I recall an earlier thread on this site where people were saying the released items were easier than the tests that we will be taking. I think the Q bank are slightly harder, but not 100% representative of the test. I've been told that the NMS USMLE questions are the most representative.

Hi there,

The emphasis on given subjects on the the real exam is variable, therefore i don t think you can predict the difficulty of any given exam. Concerning the sources that you mentioned, I think that( at least in my case) the actual exam was much more difficult than both of them. I did pass, but since I haven t received my score report yet, i can t tell you what the score was. I had an average 70% in q bank, and a 75% in the released items, if that s of any help to you. I would say that q bank was more difficult than the released items, and therefore closer to MY exam. Additionally, it has much more questions, so I think it gives a more spherical represantation of what may be asked. A friend of mine got 73% on the released items, and scored 83 in step 1.
Hope it was helpful,
Theodore