• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Step II CK lower than Step I - report to programs?

Topological

Jan 23, 2013
  1. Medical Student
Step I = 248, Step 2 CK = 223
I knew I wasn't prepared for Step 2, but had to meet my school's deadline. I'm applying in psych. My grades are not great. The rest of my application is decent (research, pubs, etc.)

Only 1 program has asked me for scores. Another has said that they want to see that I passed, but do not use Step 2 for ranking. How bad is this? Should I send it to the programs that haven't mentioned it and will they even rank me without it?

GoSpursGo

Allons-y!
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2008
  1. Attending Physician
If programs are specifically asking you for scores, you're pretty much stuck; they wouldn't request them if they didn't actually want them, and you can't submit them to a select group of programs without submitting them to everyone. That's a big enough drop that it'll probably raise some eyebrows, but you still passed and I don't know there's much you can do about it at this point unless you'd rather just roll the dice with the programs that haven't asked for it.

About the Ads

GoSpursGo

Allons-y!
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2008
  1. Attending Physician
At what step1/2 difference do the eyebrows start moving?

*shrug* idunno, and not every program would care the same way about Step 2. I've been told that in most cases as long as you're in the same ballpark between steps 1 and 2, you're not going to hurt yourself, but without putting an exact number to where the "ballpark" ends I'd say 25 points "feels" significantly lower.

Again, for someone going into a noncompetitive field with a strong Step 1 like the OP, it's unlikely to make a big deal.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.