Step II CS and program rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quickfeet

Smooth Operator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I can't take USMLE Step II CS until December. Per the USMLE website, that means scores won't be reported until February, possibly as late as February 22nd (also happens to be the deadline for programs to turn in rank lists per the Match website).

Does this mean there are many programs which won't rank me since I won't have my CS score in by the time they compose their rank list?

Members don't see this ad.

So I can't take USMLE Step II CS until December. Per the USMLE website, that means scores won't be reported until February, possibly as late as February 22nd (also happens to be the deadline for programs to turn in rank lists per the Match website).

Does this mean there are many programs which won't rank me since I won't have my CS score in by the time they compose their rank list?

To my understanding, this will depend on your medical school. Prior to a program ranking you, your medical school must certify to the NRMP that you are eligible for the match/expected to graduate. At my school, you are required to pass CK and to take CS in order to graduate. If you fail to meet either of those requirements, you cannot be certified for the match, as my school cannot guarantee you will graduate.

So if your school requires you to pass CS then you must take and have it scored prior to then. In other words, take any site available in order to take it earlier. If your school only requires an attempt (like mine), then it isn't necessary to graduate (although you still must pass eventually).

That's not the only problem.

A lot of programs have instituted policies that they NEED to have a passing score in order to rank you. This is usually an institutional rule made by the GME office. It's above/out of the program's hands in those cases.

OP should try to move it up. There are swapping programs/websites available these days to my understanding.
Really? I didnt think you needed CS score to be ranked, just to start. I thought you did need CK though.

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Really? I didnt think you needed CS score to be ranked, just to start. I thought you did need CK though.

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile

Lots of programs require CS to be ranked.

Ok I rescheduled to a testing date for later in September. Per this website http://www.usmle.org/step-2-cs/#reporting - that would mean I should receive my Step II CS score at latest by January 11. Do you think this is enough time for programs to get my updated scores and consider me for ranking?