Step II results and the match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ursus Martimus

Ursus Martimus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So despite a good step I score our school requires us to take step II by end of December. I haven't been quite in the study mode these days. I selected to be notified of my score before I release it to programs on ERAS. In the event of an absolute disaster, do I have to release my scores before match lists are due and will they even know I have taken it. Sneaky I know but knowledge is power.

Members don't see this ad.

Wait, does your school REQUIRE step 2 by December or HIGHLY RECOMMEND step 2 by December? I only ask because our school highly recommends that we take Step 2 by December 1st (they think we're stupid and will fall for this trick so that they can see our scores before rank lists are due). However, the absolute rule at our school is that we must take Step 2 by Feb. 1st.

Anyways, if you are required to take step 2 by December, I guess you should take it as late as possible but within your school's deadline. Definitely don't send them automatically and don't even send them, especially if disaster strikes. Amy is right. Most programs and specialties don't REQUIRE step 2. But competitive residencies may use step 2 as a discriminating factor when deciding between two strong candidates. But if you're like me and not applying to a competitive field, screw step 2. You don't need it and neither do they. And if a program "requires" step 2 before ROL entry time, tell them to piss off cuz most of your other programs won't require step 2 prior to Feb. 23rd.

My school also requires step II early (by the end of November). I took it, got a slightly lower score than step I, and still matched. It's not the end of the world. I would, however, recommend more than one week of preparation, as that is what netted me my decreased score (I sympathise with not being in study mode in 4th year - it's very difficult).

is this true...I'm applying for psych and 2 of the program directors that I interviewed with told me passing step2 is required for them to rank me...

My school also requires the Dec 31st deadline for both steps. I worked out that one of my programs required taking the exams by the same date. If you like your score release it. If not wait two or three weeks when programs submit their rank list. Overall I don't think it matters. Med schools just hate having two or three students who don't pass and have to hang around until they do to enter a residency. It hurts their rep with programs. Just my thoughts thou