step III last minute tips (taking exam in 2 days)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

factoid

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys

i'm taking step III in 2 days. i've done a few questions; haven't studied otherwise. i'm doing usmleworld. i did like three sets and got 68%, 58%, 60% (i guess i'm getting dumber) right. i'm wondering if that's too dismal. i don't have much extra time left over and am just finishing up a yr in surgery, so not much medicine practice. anywho, anyone else with these kinds of scores who passed the step III? any last minute tips?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

factoid said:
hey guys

i'm taking step III in 2 days. i've done a few questions; haven't studied otherwise. i'm doing usmleworld. i did like three sets and got 68%, 58%, 60% (i guess i'm getting dumber) right. i'm wondering if that's too dismal. i don't have much extra time left over and am just finishing up a yr in surgery, so not much medicine practice. anywho, anyone else with these kinds of scores who passed the step III? any last minute tips?

thanks
3 sets is a pretty small sample size, but I had 60% overall and got 213 on the exam.

factoid said:
hey guys

thanks

Hi there,
All you need is a pass. If you are not too far out from your fourth year or your PGY-1 year, you should be fine. If you are in a surgical specialty, you start to forget the medicine stuff pretty quickly.

Step III is such a waste of time and energy but good luck. Getting the thing done is the best!

njbmd :)

you should be fine to pass by getting 60% on the USMLE world. I studied for it a total of 3 full days and about 10 hours per week x 2 wks before while working 90 hours per week and I ended up passing around the mean. Given it was significantly below my Step I and II, but like what njbmd says "Step III is a waste of time/energy", don't worry about your score, if you pass then you are golden. I spoked with the Ortho chiefs in my program and they all told me, Step III was not even a factor in their Fellowship Application.

Good luck, and if you know how to treat vaginal bleeding/discharge like the back of your hand, then you should be fine. :D