Step one: time and detailed info required...HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HiddenTruth

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello...I am interested in knowing that abt how much time did you guys spend studying for step one like on your own...would anyone recommend taking KAPLAN courses...i heard there is one in NJ which is amazing but quite costly...what study tools would you all reccomend? The way I have my scedule going is that I have march april may open...(one month being a study month, one being an elective month, and one ebing a vacation month) and I plan on taking it end of may...you all think thats suffice? I will ahve taken pharm by november of this yr. And then I have some electives to fill in by february, giving me 3 months to solely study for step one. I am interested in a competetive residency program (ortho, neuro, surg). I want to do really well. My school also has a science gpa system. I am avg 3.6. Want to tear it up on step one. Any advise? Like do you have to be agenious to tear it up or if you put enough time into it, it can happen? Where do you think I stand. Please let me know, thanks. Also what was your guys' study habbits and schedules when you devoted your time just to step one. As in study abt how many hours a day, and then during the last 3 wks ro so I ehar dyou should be ready and be putting all your time in Q. bank. Let me know some detialed info. I appreciate all your guys' time. I know you all are busy. Thanks a lot.

-Step one help

Members don't see this ad.

Well, the last few posts have been a bit rude. Anyways, the last poster gave good advice: doing a search is a good way to quickly zero in on posts about step 1. There were hundreds of posts during the summer months.

Perhaps an even better way, however (so you don't miss posts with strange titles), is simply to scroll down to the posts in this forum over the summer months, mostly June and July. This is when most people post about their experiences.

Most US med students (who seem to make up the majority of the posters) don't take Kaplan, so I don't know if you'll get much advice on that front, but I'm sure there are the occasional posts about Kaplan.

Well thanks a lot for your advise. I will try doing that. I am glad there is atleast someone out there who is willing to help. Again, thanks for your time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kaplan is EXELLENT if you have the time or your Med. Science knowledge is weak, but there is nothing special about it. I ony had 1 month and a half to take the test, so Kaplan was not a practical option. I started with the Kapaln books/videos, but then I changed my plan to just reading First Aid :love: , Brs Path, Brs Pysio, HY Behav., HY Neuro., and HY Bio. I relied on FA for Anatomy/Embriology, micro/immuno, and Pharmacology.

But again, if your Konwledge in these subjects is weak, the Kaplan books are exellent if you have the time to read the Huge amount of material. But whatever you do FA :love:, BRS Path.:love:, and QBank:love: are a must.:)

Our school gave us 9 weeks off to study for the exam. I used a ton of books, but mainly one for each subject:

Phys - BRS Phys
Path - BRS Path, some of Robbins
Pharm - Lippincott's Pharm
Biochem - High-Yield Biochem, Lippincott's Biochem
Beh Sci - High-Yield Beh Sci
Micro - Micro Made Ridiculously Simple
Anatomy - High-Yield Embryo, lecture notes

I studied about 10-12 hours a day. I also went through Princeton Review's online course during second-year and did Kaplan's QBank and Integrated Vignettes. A few weeks before the exam I did the two online NMBE tests, as well as the practice one at school and at Prometric.

Originally posted by doc05
I suggest you learn about paragraphs.
Are you an english nerd or something, all you do is jump on peoples nutz for bad spelling and grammar. Don't get your panties all bunched up, spelling and grammer isn't being graded here.

Originally posted by doc05
I suggest you learn about paragraphs.
Yeah what a bitch a$$, you're the kind of foolio who gets pimped on rounds and all you can do is correct peoples english, can't contribute to anything medical related.