PookieGirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 4, 2004
Boston, MA
Status
Does anyone else find this ridiculous? I've been out of college for almost 5 years now, and because my mom remarried when I was 25, I have to put her husband's income down? Makes no sense, especially when he has no role in supporting me financially. This is different from a parent because he had no parenting role in my life and he never financially supported me. In truth, institutions should factor in the age of the applicant at the time of remarriage.

Who has dealt with this issue before and what advice do you have regarding step-parent financial information?

fun8stuff

*hiding from patients*
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2003
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
PookieGirl said:
Does anyone else find this ridiculous? I've been out of college for almost 5 years now, and because my mom remarried when I was 25, I have to put her husband's income down? Makes no sense, especially when he has no role in supporting me financially. This is different from a parent because he had no parenting role in my life and he never financially supported me. In truth, institutions should factor in the age of the applicant at the time of remarriage.

Who has dealt with this issue before and what advice do you have regarding step-parent financial information?

i too share your paint, but get this: my step dad has never given me any financial support and has just been a real ass*ole for the last 17 years that he has been my stepdad... anyways, he is now divorcing my mom because "she has been sick for too long" (brain cancer survivor).... I have to include his info on my fafsa because they were married for 2004. Sucks balls, but what can you do?

Mistress S

Don't mess with the S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2000
Thunderdome
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I agree that this is crap. My mom remarried in Sep 2004 (just after my 24th b-day), I called the school I will likely attend and they said they wanted me to include both of their incomes. Their combined income is still pretty small (<$40K), but my mother's was only ~18K last year and since he has zero parental or financial role in my life it seems ******ed that I have to include his income. I'm concerned because with just my income and my mother's income for 2004 I would almost certainly qualify for need-based aid (to the extent that this is even available), but with his income factored in I may not be quite poor enough to be eligible. Whatevs, I guess we'll see.