STEP score weighted less due to semester off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ktrn305

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a current MS2 who missed part of the second semester of MS1(2016) due to family health issues. Missing this semester caused me to have to join the class below, be unenrolled for their MS1 Fall semester (2016), then repeat the Spring semester (2017). I was wondering if this would devalue the weight of a high STEP score to residency programs. Would this be viewed as having an unfair advantage since I had 3 years leading up to the step exam instead of the standard 2? I really didn't get to use my time off for studying, it was mostly family time and research. This was also during MS1 so STEP wasn't really on my mind. I just was hearing how students taking off a year right before the step exam (between MS2 and MS3) to get a large chunk of extra study time might have their scores scrutinized more and was wondering how much this would apply to my situation as well. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

No one cares. They will just be looking at the number. I doubt anyone really wants to check and see how many years you had to study and whatnot. Current PDs and residents can correct me if I'm wrong of course. Personally, I feel a good part of step is preparation and actual hard work...which will probably get you into the 240s...but beyond that...I think you'd need natural intellect/luck/prowness.

Reactions: 1 users
No.

-people take step 1 anywhere between second and third year to the end of third year.

Only two places out of many knew this and that was when I already made it through the cut most likely. The score gets your application looked at no matter what the context. Remember that, it’s important and a small amount of time served me well.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You will likely have to explain any gaps in your education (any time off, regardless of what caused it). Your Step score stands on it own, and it's one of the few things that can compare applicants to applicants, even though it wasn't really intended to stratify medical students, but to guarantee a certain level of understanding and competency in basic sciences (for Step 1).

i imagine some programs will put more scrutiny towards this than others. i could also see a situation where merely the score is relevant to get interviews, but then you will be asked to explain in more depth when you actually arrive for interview day.

source: straight out of my rear end! good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a current MS2 who missed part of the second semester of MS1(2016) due to family health issues. Missing this semester caused me to have to join the class below, be unenrolled for their MS1 Fall semester (2016), then repeat the Spring semester (2017). I was wondering if this would devalue the weight of a high STEP score to residency programs. Would this be viewed as having an unfair advantage since I had 3 years leading up to the step exam instead of the standard 2? I really didn't get to use my time off for studying, it was mostly family time and research. This was also during MS1 so STEP wasn't really on my mind. I just was hearing how students taking off a year right before the step exam (between MS2 and MS3) to get a large chunk of extra study time might have their scores scrutinized more and was wondering how much this would apply to my situation as well. Thank you
You're in med school now, stop thinking like pre-med.

i imagine some programs will put more scrutiny towards this than others. i could also see a situation where merely the score is relevant to get interviews, but then you will be asked to explain in more depth when you actually arrive for interview day.

source: straight out of my rear end! good luck!

This is exactly what happens from experience. Not necessarily in depth, but if you delay Step 1, the way your school will do it is put something personal LOA, etc. You DON'T have to check the box on ERAS for taking a leave of absence per my counselor because 1.5 months (my extension) did not qualify as a significant gap (again my school's judgment). Then, I think at interviews, some interviews/programs are more nitpicky and noticed an LOA on my transcript and almost always towards the end of the interview they asked about it. I always just said I electively took more time to study for Step 1 and sacrificed a vacation month at the end of the year and had to do some of my electives while interviewing in exchange. I don't think it had any effect on my application overall and it definitely was much better than not delaying and scoring 20 or even 10 points lower on my Step 1.

Last edited: