Step Up to Medicine Errata

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zeloc

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess this isn't really an errata thread, but for changes that are newer than the book. For example, there is a new recommendation to get LDL cholesterol under 70 in some populations, but nothing is mentioned in the book, and I am pretty sure that the HTN recommendation for diabetes and chronic kidney disease is 130/80, not 135/85. Feel free to post what you have noticed.

Members don't see this ad.

yes that is true. i would just read the book to get general guidelines but not HTN, DM, CAD cutoff numbers. Most likely the shelf will make it quite clear what the dx. is despite the new cutoffs. I found similar "errors" or old guidelines in other similar texts such as First Aid and Case Files (not the one that just came out). Overall, the book is pretty good though.

congratulations on finding this "errata." also let me welcome you to the world of medicine...which is ever changing and likes to frequently revise their recommendations on how one should practice what we call "medicine."

Members don't see this ad :)
congratulations on finding this "errata." also let me welcome you to the world of medicine...which is ever changing and likes to frequently revise their recommendations on how one should practice what we call "medicine."

there's a small handful of errors. FHH is written as familial hypocalcemic hypocalciurea. there's a couple of others i can't remember. but they're relatively obvious. still by far the best $40 i've spent in med school

However, it is generally safer to use the book data when studying for tests, since they simply can't keep up with changing EBM.
Thus, the gold standard for the medicine shelf for PE was still angiogram, even though that test isn't really used anymore due to the morbidity/mortality/invasiveness related to it.

As the author of a new book, I can tell you, I wrote the majority of it in 2003. It JUST got published in January of 2007! A lot of things change in four years!

Q