step up to USMLE step 2 or MTB step 2? +secret+UW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uchicago

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So what do you think guys; MTB step 2 or Step up to USMLE step 2 is better with secrets and UW? I am aiming for 260+ :xf:. Any constructive comment/question is appreciated. Thx for your time. Btw, I'm not optometry, I'm allopathic, no idea how that came up in my profile. Anyways...

Members don't see this ad.

I used SU2S2 with DIT. If you're not doing DIT, I think it's a pretty weesh source. Haven't used MTB, so I'll leave that for someone else.

Good luck rocking that score!

I used SU2S2 with DIT. If you're not doing DIT, I think it's a pretty weesh source. Haven't used MTB, so I'll leave that for someone else.

Good luck rocking that score!

So what if I didn't use DIT? I mean is it a must to make effective use of SUS2S? I'm looking to use SUS2S and fill it up with my notes from UW, would that be good?

I mean, it wouldn't be terrible..

SU2S2 is a really flimsy resource. It has a ton of errors, doesn't always delineate when to give treatments for what stage of a disease, stuff is outdated, etc. DIT helps you annotate it to make it useful, plus they give a giant packet to supplement it. On its own, I would have tossed it out. Hell, even with DIT + SU2S2 I went back and read Step up to Medicine for some chapters.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean, it wouldn't be terrible..

SU2S2 is a really flimsy resource. It has a ton of errors, doesn't always delineate when to give treatments for what stage of a disease, stuff is outdated, etc. DIT helps you annotate it to make it useful, plus they give a giant packet to supplement it. On its own, I would have tossed it out. Hell, even with DIT + SU2S2 I went back and read Step up to Medicine for some chapters.

Yeah I felt the same about SUS2 so I ended up reading MTB. I bought SU2Medicine but there is no way I can read that whole book with the time I have. Can you tell me which chapters are a must-read in SU2Medicine? Thanks.

Yeah I felt the same about SUS2 so I ended up reading MTB. I bought SU2Medicine but there is no way I can read that whole book with the time I have. Can you tell me which chapters are a must-read in SU2Medicine? Thanks.

Would you please tell us a bit about your experiece with MTB so far? Do you feel it is helpful, specially when answering UW, if you did any?

Just read through SUtS2 and in my opinion, it's crap. Okay that's mean... It sucks. Okay, still mean... I would advise against it.
Don't know anything about MTB. I haven't taken ck yet but I thought SUtS2 was soooo low yield (maybe I'm wrong). All the errors and vague management recommendations were so annoying! What a waste of precious time :mad:

I read cards, pulm, renal, endo, gi, ID, and the ambulatory.

Of those, I think cards was overkill, and most of pulm (except COPD/asthma) was overkill. Spent wayy too much time trying to learn all the different interstitial pneumonitides. Endo and GI and ambulatory were very worth it and should be higher up on your list of to do than reading ID/renal. In order of importance, probably 1) Ambulatory, 2) Endo. World + Secrets should be top priority though.

I read cards, pulm, renal, endo, gi, ID, and the ambulatory.

Of those, I think cards was overkill, and most of pulm (except COPD/asthma) was overkill. Spent wayy too much time trying to learn all the different interstitial pneumonitides. Endo and GI and ambulatory were very worth it and should be higher up on your list of to do than reading ID/renal. In order of importance, probably 1) Ambulatory, 2) Endo. World + Secrets should be top priority though.

for some reason I am thinking of: MTB step2+Kaplan USMLE step 3 white coat pocket guide+secrets+UW. I don't think that someone tried that combo before. But I have read through that pocket guide and seems decent.

Would you please tell us a bit about your experiece with MTB so far? Do you feel it is helpful, specially when answering UW, if you did any?

MTB did help me answer quite a few questions on UW but I gotta say that I am answering a good amount of questions based on Step 1 knowledge, esp. when it comes to immuno stuff. For the ones I am getting wrong..still trying to figure out the best source for these, and something tells me there isn't. I think UW just has some real good stuff that's hard to find in a review book. So I guess my combo will remain: MTB + UW + supplement from SUTM/Secrets where needed.