Step Up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Peeshee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what other books besides the First Aid could be good as a review book.

Has anyone used Step Up and found it helpful to fill in the gaps?

I am looking for something as a complement to First Aid or maybe something with a little different perspective or twist to it, in order to make studying more interesting...I have added notes to my First Aid from textbooks and from practice questions......but I would like to study something that maybe says the same thing but in a different manner.....Any ideas?????

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Step Up is a sweet, sweet book. Great supplement to First Aid, IMHO.

IMHO, step up is better than FA at integrating necessary step one material. I think almost everything in FA is in Step Up also, if im not mistaken.

step up is a great book. i'm planning on rereading it this weekend. the table with the cardiac cycles of MS/MR/AS/AR is awesome (and not in FA), the protein synthesis diagram showing where the drugs act is MUCH better than FA's. there are lots of other "extras" in step-up that i think can complement FA not only in putting things together in systems but actual content.

if you're not a chart person, how about pathophys for boards and wards?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have Step-Up too. I haven't begun to digest a lot of the material because I'm still working on FA. But I'm definitely going to finish Step-Up before I take the exam -- the pharm stuff in the back rocks...

71 cases in Step Up to the Bedside (a different book by the same people). I read two a night and I think it's awesome. You guys might wanna check that one out too. It's case based and totally readable and relevant and generally good.

here are my "personal" opinions....

Step up is great!!! do get it. however, it should not act as supplement to First Aid because it adds nothing to it.

Basically, yes, I do feel that Step Up and FA cover similar amount of material but Step Up is organized by system so it is a LOT EASIER to go through than FA.

So what I would do is go through Step Up from cover to cover to know the material at least once. Then go through First Aid and use "High-Yield" series as supplement. For every couple pages of First Aid, start flipping through High-Yield to get more details. Trust me, this scheme takes a long long time to finish.

I bought several other review books and did not have time to go through them. High-yield looks thin but in the end, you do not have THAT much time if you want to go through First aid 2-3 times + doing practice questions, etc. etc.

For physiology, I do recommend BRS instead.

Is there a Step-Up book for Step 2? Or is there only one for Step 1?

There isn't a book for Step 2 yet, but we're working on it!

Glad to see all of the feedback on Step-Up. Student feedback is key to the success of this book. If you have any comments, please contact me.

Thanks!

Scott
[email protected]
Lippincott Williams & Wilkins

what's going on here? nothing but rave reviews about step up. i'm an ms2 and i haven't even heard of the book. everybody at my school uses first aid first and foremost... i have no idea about step up

was there a bunch of mistakes in step up a couple of editions ago??couple of kids i used to go to school with were talking about it...just a question i have not used it i am thinking of using it now

The first printing of the first edition had errors, predominately in the drug index. LWW did a revised reprint of the first edition to correct the errors.

The second edition has since published in January of 2003.

-Scott