step1:2 weeks out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theodore

Most kind beast around
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm taking step 1 in the end of March. I expect to have finished everything i want to about 2 weeks before my exam. So, i'd like your opinion on how to spend these 2 last weeks. My first alternative is to just go through 1st aid as many times as possible(that's one or two times) and the second to give a shot at qbank(at least as much of it as possible, anyway).
A little background info:I ve been through brs patholgy, Katzung's board review for Pharma, Micro ridiculously simple, brs physiology, High yield biochem.From tests i ve done(or will have done) pretest pathology, pathophysiology and clinical vignettes for step 1, Robbins review of Pathology,Appleton Lange's review for step 1 , nms review for step 1.
I know that it will be to my interest to go through 1st aid the last days to "put the pieces together", but on the other hand i'm afraid about losing my contact with q's.
Every opinion is highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I feel obliged to immensely thank everyone for the staggering response to my question.It's of great relief to know there are so many people so willing to help you, especially during the period just before your step1 exam. My exam is in 16 days from today, so I would like to ask you to stop posting for this thread, because(based on your valuable comments) I have already made my mind about what to do these last days.
Thanks again, everybody.

Originally posted by theodore
I feel obliged to immensely thank everyone for the staggering response to my question.It's of great relief to know there are so many people so willing to help you, especially during the period just before your step1 exam. My exam is in 16 days from today, so I would like to ask you to stop posting for this thread, because(based on your valuable comments) I have already made my mind about what to do these last days.
Thanks again, everybody.

Oh, now you're going to get ****loads of responses. And I was about to hit "reply" to your first msg.

mike

Sarcasm duly noted :)

No offense, theodore, but the reason why no one's responded to your questions is because your question has been asked a million times before. If you just look in the SEARCH function, you'll see that the choice of books for the STEP 1 has been answered by those SDNERs who have already taken the exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I was in elementary school, my teachers were telling me as a rule of thumb, that a certain fact that happens/occurs in less than 5-10% of the time, is an uncommon fact. Now, after having posted my question for one month, and out of 139 views there were 3 responses, out of which one was my own, one was explaining why there weren t more and one other saying that my sarcastic mood will bring some responses from now on, i can only can come to the conclusion that the response rate was, uhm, 0%?
And Al, although I don t spend every spare minute I have reading the USMLE forums, i haven't seen my question before. I ve seen a lot of threads asking about how the q-bank scores relate to the real stuff, or how good-bad q-bank is, but my question was much more specific. I asked if you think that it would be of more profit if i spend the last 2 weeks reviewing 1st aid, or if I should go for q bank.
Anyway, i'm entering these last 2 weeks on Thursday, and i've already been using q-bank for the last 10 days, not because someone told me it WOULD be better(hint, hint), but because i was desperately looking for something else than sitting over a book all day long(in my unconscious mind, computer has been linked to fun, although my eyes have a different opinion now).
I didn t mean to be sarcastic, but cmon!!!1 month???? 130 views with no response??What would you think off?? At least someone could tell me that i can look for a link for an answer without getting in the trouble to analyze something that, as you say Al, has been talked about countless times.
And just to prove my good intentions, i'll throw in another question: Do you guys think one should have sex the night before step 1? I think it will be really difficult to relax and have a peaceful sleep that night:p
Later...

Oops, you're right; I misread your question. One of the keys to eliciting responses if making your communication clear. I notice that you offer an either-or in your question but you use AND instead of OR.

One other possibility why no one's answered your question is because I don't think anyone can really answer that question. I mean there have not been any double blind studies as to whether 2 weeks before the USMLE 1 exam, one should either study QBANK or review FA. It's kind of like asking, "Well, what should I have for breakfast the day of Step 1? will it be Cocoa Nuts or Frosted flakes?:cool:

I like i'm sure many others viewed this thread, and since we couldn't help you with our experiences, did not post. (i'm a m1 for example)

With regard to your sarcasm, a simple 'bump' would have sufficed. If someone does not feel like helping you or others who may benefit from your thread, they do not have to. I.e., they don't have to be your bitch.

Ok, no need to be offended here. My comment was more about making a joke and less about insulting anyone. And, hero, I don't really need a bitch, 'cause I already have one:) I don't know if you saw me asking if it would be wise to do her the last night. Al, any double blinds in mind(wonder how you could make a double blind about that one);)
Later...

Wow. Lay off him. I got the sarcasm first time I read it. I don't think he was bitter at all. But I personally think you should do the Qbank, but that is just my opinion.

Thanx Jalby, I already did that.Just finished q bank today, and i'll go through it again until next Tuesday.
By the way, i m interested in internal medicine, ad i m not particularly fond of big cities, so do you guys think a score on the 80 range would suffice? Thanks in advance.