Step1 Failure

Discussion in 'Kaplan Medical USMLE Forum (Sponsored)' started by daktour, May 7, 2008.

1. daktour

Is there any suggestion for people who are in a US medical school but failed STEP 1? In other words got kicked out of med school? Are there any alternative plans that people can suggest. As you all know, by the time a person is in medical school you have likely accumulated alot of loans and so I need something that will bring in alot of money fast.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SamusLives

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Sorry to hear you failed Step 1, but failing Step 1 doesn't mean you get kicked out of med school. At least not usually, your school might be different. I've heard that many schools allow 3 tries per Step to pass, otherwise they kick you out. I don't know if failing Step 1, plus failing a bunch of classes could do it too? Even then, many schools let you redo failed classes/years too.
    As for making money quick...sorry, I can't help in that department. Even with an MD, you can't make money quick (gotta get through residency/fellowships first).

4. daktour

well im not sure if i passed or failed...but just want to keep my options open. so any thoughts on second career options?? I do want to be a somebody and make a difference some day....whether it be through being a doctor or whatever.

5. SamusLives

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Nothing wrong with keeping your options open, but you should wait for your score before abandoning medicine. Seriously, if you did okay during your first 2 years of med school, and you studied for at least a week or two before step 1 you probably passed. If not, study your a$$ off and take it again.

There would have to be some very serious compelling reason to kick you out for failing the Step 1 (like you insulted all your professors and ran around your school naked). If you're really worried, look at your student manual, it should tell you what your school's policy about failing step 1. Likely you get 3 attempts.

I don't know what job could pay off all your loans quickly. No matter what you decide to go into, you gotta start at the bottom and work your way up.

Just relax and wait for your score.