USMLE Step2ck Failed really need advise on 2019 match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JHyuNi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am US IMG from Ross university
No research publication
Step1 230 first attempt
Step2 cs pass first attempt
Step2ck 204 failed,
Preferred IM only

I have excuses (in case someone might wonder, I only slept 2 hrs and was taking advil through exams for severe HA, didnt get to finish 5 questions on each blocks total about 40 questions) Sim score has been 240s UsWa 1 was 238 2 days out.

I am planning to take step2 ck as soon as permit becomes available I signed up immediately

My question is as follows
1. Should I just go ahead and apply by sep 15th or wait until step2ck score which maybe late oct
2. Doubt any university programs will take me, but should I still apply?
3. Should I just wait one year?

hurt me torture me be rude
but just please be realistic! thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Apply after you get your CK score back (you don't want to apply with just Step 1, CS, and a CK attempt). Apply broadly (~250 programs, expensive but necessary imo). Have FM programs as backup.

I do think you can make this cycle, but I also think that it's an expensive endeavor if you don't end up matching and need to reapply next year anyway. So it may also be in your best interest to take a research year and try again next year after you've passed CK. You know your financial situation best. Maybe selectively apply to less competitive programs this year (~100) so you don't break the bank and see what happens? I'd honestly take the research year. In hindsight it's only a year. Take the time to build your CV and try for next year. I know it's not ideal, but in the grand scheme, it's a minor speed bump.

Reactions: 1 users
Apply after you get your CK score back (you don't want to apply with just Step 1, CS, and a CK attempt). Apply broadly (~250 programs, expensive but necessary imo). Have FM programs as backup.

I do think you can make this cycle, but I also think that it's an expensive endeavor if you don't end up matching and need to reapply next year anyway. So it may also be in your best interest to take a research year and try again next year after you've passed CK. You know your financial situation best. Maybe selectively apply to less competitive programs this year (~100) so you don't break the bank and see what happens? I'd honestly take the research year. In hindsight it's only a year. Take the time to build your CV and try for next year. I know it's not ideal, but in the grand scheme, it's a minor speed bump.

thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad :)
I talked to program director who told me to retake step2ck and apply with step2 score. same advise!!

Reactions: 2 users
You left 5 questions blank on each block? Why didn't you just guess on them?

I ran into the same situation during my CK exam, about 5 questons left BLANK on each block, luckily I still managed to slip by with a 229, thought I had failed for sure. Why didn't I guess? I kept thinking I would leave it till the end to guess if I needed to, but would underestimate the time remaining to do so, and be surprised when the block closed on me. Terrible excuse I know, and I truly regret it. I feel your pain OP, although I didn't fail, we both know we had the knowledge base to get much higher scores but failed in execution during the exam.

There was definitely some timing oddities with ck. I felt it and never had timing as an issue on any other test. Idk if the exam was always this way. I would do UW blocks until you finish with 5+ min to spare. That’s about where I was with UW second pass to be able to barely finished ck blocks in time