strongboy2005

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Does my stepfather's income need to be included on the FAFSA for the need-based scholarships? My mom makes a little more than my stepdad, but if I have to report both of their incomes it is about double what it would be if I didn't have to report my stepdad. Although I consider my stepdad to be my dad (never knew my biological father, mom remarried when I was very young), I was never technically adopted by him (and we have different last names).

TMP-SMX

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I'm pretty sure if he supports you financially he must be included for need-based aid. Though even if he doesn't actually support you if he is married to your mother it counts. Interestingly enough the FAFSA doesn't really target your future year. It targets your past year. Though whether or not you were dependent in the last year doesn't make any difference for need-based aid on the FAFSA. In the end, you will get all of your subsidized stafford loans and you will have a relatively small chance of getting perkins loans or scholarships.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.