Steps to Success: MD from Caribbean

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iololiol

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a freshman student starting this fall at Depaul University. I am confused on what steps I need to take.

From this point, what is the quickest way to become MD. I am willing to go through a caribbean school, take summer school, transfer-out..blah..blah..blah

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
taking the mcat doesn't delay your application

I am a freshman student starting this fall at Depaul University. I am confused on what steps I need to take.

From this point, what is the quickest way to become MD. I am willing to go through a caribbean school, take summer school, transfer-out..blah..blah..blah

Thanks

i'm a little confused by your question, but i'll try. the quickest way would have been to do a combined BA/MD or BS/MD program (there are some that are 6 or 7 years). alternatively, you could try to graduate college in 3 years and go straight to MD. BUT your best options is to work hard in school, rock the MCAT, apply in the summer before senior year, and go to med school straight out of college.

Members don't see this ad :)
getting your MD isn't a sprint its a marathon. There is no "quick way" there are only longer ways (aka taking a year off, MD/PhD).

The quickest way other than a 6 year program is to do well in school so you only have to apply during one cycle

Another option you could look at is a 6 year program in either the UK, Ireland or Australia. Not exactly sure what they need in terms of entrance requirements, but if you're not interested in getting a bachelor's, that would probably be the quickest road to an MD (MBBS actually = MD in most of the developed world).

Honestly though? What if you find that medicine isn't for you? You'll have NO qualifications to pursue ANYTHING else but some sort of unskilled labor.
Not to mention the fact that you'll be buried under a mountain of med. school debt with no other way to pay it off...

Having never really experienced the day-to-day of medicine, let alone its realities in the countries you might end up practicing in, that's a pretty big risk (/understatement).

Though it may not mean as much as it used to, getting your B.S in something useful will pretty much guarantee you a decent job and qualify you to pursue what's arguably the best medical education in the world. No college degree = no US med school. Like the previous poster mentioned, you could pursue a BS/MD program, but they're generally VERY selective and I'm not sure how receptive they'd be to someone in your situation (i.e already admitted to, and attending a university)

Worst case scenario, you take a little longer to get your MD, actually enjoying your life along the way.

Stay in school kid.

Like the previous poster mentioned, you could pursue a BS/MD program, but they're generally VERY selective and I'm not sure how receptive they'd be to someone in your situation (i.e already admitted to, and attending a university)

My state Med school just started their combined BS/MD program the year that I entered college. (such that if I was a year behind, I would have been able to apply, although I'll admit I probably would not have gotten in due to lack of EC's, volunteering, etc. in HS) I inquired about applying as a freshman college student and they said it had to be straight out of High School. It kinda bums me out that kids who were a year behind me will end up going to my state with me at the same time. Hopefully they will be real quality people, not the same sort of people I knew in HS who got into Stanford and UCLA...

My state Med school just started their combined BS/MD program the year that I entered college. (such that if I was a year behind, I would have been able to apply, although I'll admit I probably would not have gotten in due to lack of EC's, volunteering, etc. in HS) I inquired about applying as a freshman college student and they said it had to be straight out of High School. It kinda bums me out that kids who were a year behind me will end up going to my state with me at the same time. Hopefully they will be real quality people, not the same sort of people I knew in HS who got into Stanford and UCLA...

I know, this is not a great situation to be in since they have deadlines earlier in november that I missed aswell. Still I am interested in the caribbean route any details?

I know, this is not a great situation to be in since they have deadlines earlier in november that I missed aswell. Still I am interested in the caribbean route any details?
you can search the forums for this. I don't think they're any faster, but they do have a higher fail out rate and aren't looked at as being as quality as onshore schools

I'd strongly advise against the Caribbean schools because of the low residency acceptance rates. But, just for fun, I think it would be easier to get into a Caribbean school if you completed college in 3 years (or maybe even 2 if you're crazy). If you take ochem during the summer after your freshman year, you may be able to make it out in two, but I would not advise this strategy either.

Thanks

What's your hurry? Do this the right way. Take the full four years, do your shadowing, volunteering, etc., and get the best grades you can on your prereqs. Apply broadly to US schools. Save the Caribbean as a backup option, because specialty and residency options are much more limited.

This is by no means intended to insult Carib docs--I'm actually considering that path myself. As a 41-year-old career changer, my situation is different; time is more of a factor.

Also, you may not save much time in the carib anyway. Many (if not most) of the schools require 90 semester hours of undergraduate work. I believe states have this requirement for licensure, but I'm not sure.

Stop trying to do this fast and start trying to do this right.

Caribbean schools are pretty much a last resort for people who can't get into a school in the US (MD or DO). While theoretically you could get done a year or two early, there are a ton of problems with this proposition.

First of all, a TON more students are weeded out in the Carib than in the US. In the US, only about 4% of students don't complete med school, and the majority of those aren't even because they couldn't handle the courseload, it's because they decided medicine wasn't for them. I believe at most Carib schools, more than half of the students don't even make it to Step 1 before being weeded out.

Secondly, if you do manage to graduate, the match rates are terrible at most Carib schools. Because most of the Carrib schools are relatively unknown, the preclinical grades and most letters of recommendation have almost no meaning because residency directors have no basis of comparison to help them understand the rigor of the courses you've taken. That basically reduces you to just your Step 1 score for them to grade you on. Furthermore, it's going to get harder to match in coming years from the Carib; new US medical schools are opening and existing ones are increasing class sizes, yet the number of residency slots are remaining the same. Even more Carib students will have to scramble than before, and more and more are going to be left completely out in the cold.

Finally, even if you get through all that, a lot of doors will be closed to you. The vast majority of Carrib students that do match wind up in some of the least desirable residencies--basically, the stuff nobody else wanted. I don't think you'd want to close a ton of doors just so you can get your MD a year or two faster.

Best advice:

No Caribbean MD unless you do not get into an US MD.

For US MD, you can try the combined route or just take summer school and full semesters (20-21 semester hrs). If you have some AP credit, you might can get your BA/BS in 2 years.

6 years is the fasest I could see it happening. Life is short too so enjoy it as well!! You will get there soon enough....:luck:

Check out www.valuemd.com