Stereochemistry of the following

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rippinitez

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to figure out the stereochemistry of this molecule? If you can please explain how you came up with answer. I have the answer but don't understand how the book came up with it. I'll share after a few posts.

This will prevent ppl. from trying to justify the answer.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 79
Does anyone know how to figure out the stereochemistry of this molecule? If you can please explain how you came up with answer. I have the answer but don't understand how the book came up with it. I'll share after a few posts.

Is the top one 'R' and bottom one 'S'?

Members don't see this ad :)
I also thought this is a molecule with 2 chiral carbons, top R and bottom S.

But the answer actually doesn't give the R or S orientation but simply states that it's a meso compound. I don't see how it can be a meso compound since there doesn't appear to be a line of symmetry.

Last edited:

Top R
Bottom S

Meso, Maybe 180 degree rotation on Carbon#2?
Meso.jpg

Last edited:
So when and where are you supposed to do a 180 flip to check for meso compounds?

So when and where are you supposed to do a 180 flip to check for meso compounds?

It's a single bond between Carbon#1 and Carbon#2, there is always free rotation. Check for meso especially when you have similar substituent groups on both carbons. Substituents connected to Carbon#2 can rotate 180 degree.
Meso.jpg

Last edited:
It's a single bond between Carbon#1 and Carbon#2, there is always free rotation. Check for meso especially when you have similar substituent groups on both carbons. Substituents connected to Carbon#2 can rotate 180 degree.

Couldn't have said it better myself

Ok that makes sense. Just to make sure, the substituents on carbon 1 can also rotate 180 degrees right?

That's correct. Anytime there's a Carbon-Carbon single bond, there is free rotation about that bond. Now...It's easier to see it if you draw it in 3D...make sure when you rotate it you keep the substituents in the right order.

Attachments

• ROTATION.jpg
    ROTATION.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited: