Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

stereogenic centers?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by 134317, Apr 8, 2007.

1. 134317

134317 Guest

Jan 27, 2007
    [​IMG]
    Lovastatin

I have a Kaplan book that says the carbon at the double ring barrier with the hydrogen coming out of the page is a stereogenic center.

I think this is wrong, because since it has two hydrogens attached to it, it can't possibly be a chiral center (I learned that it has to have four different things attached). Can anyone confirm this or explain where I'm wrong?

Thanks.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. MSTPbound

MSTPbound student Moderator Emeritus 2+ Year Member

Oct 1, 2006
    It only has one hydrogen attached to it. The other three attachments are two sp3 carbons and one sp2 carbon. And yes, it is chiral.

4. 134317

134317 Guest

Jan 27, 2007
    Thanks. I'm an idiot. I imagined a second hydrogen there.

5. MSTPbound

MSTPbound student Moderator Emeritus 2+ Year Member

Oct 1, 2006
    No problem. And you're not an idiot. Half the time the hydrogens are invisible, right? So it can get tricky keeping track of when they're NOT there... especially as molecules get more complex.

Cheers,

-MSTPbound