Steroid usage and med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alaska21

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have taken steroids in the past in order to help my workouts along with a strict soy-diet for a steady protein source. I have not taken steroids in the last year but I wanted to know, what do you feel as future doctors of people who use steroids leisurely?

Facing the side effects of steroids sometimes steer me away though. My breasts increased (gyno) and I felt emotional for months. I also felt very weak with my bench press dropping down to 140lbs on the Bowflex.

Any of you guys have experience with this as future docs? I'm thinking about making a focus group for students on this at my school WUSTL.

Members don't see this ad.

My personal view of this matter is as follows: a hcp has the right to choose to do whatever he wants to his body as long as it doesn't directly affect his performance as a hcp.

But the moment it affects your performance in the hospital, you will need to do something about it. It's all about self control. If you have it, you can get away with doing whatever you want with your body.

Douglas, get off the juice. And as for the nocturnal emissions, why don't you take a swim, buy a shirt with no holes, find a beatiful girl and take her to dinner.

Members don't see this ad :)
As you are a psychology student I would think the emotional side effects alone of anabolic steroid abuse would be enough to discourage you from using them. They are serious medications and when used incorrectly can significant and potentially long term side effects.

How I feel about people? I generally don't really judge on those kind of behaviors but just make sure people understand the consequences of what they are doing.

If you are asking about a doctor doing it I think it is a bad idea as it can alter his emotions and could impair decision making ability.

Lol 140lbs on the Bowflex? Seeing as you're using a Bowflex as a workout tool - you really shouldn't be using steroids in the first place.

I'm calling troll. Anyone with enough knowledge and smarts to not only research steroid use but get into medical school would also know that soy products are estrogenic and can exacerbate the gynecomastia of roid use.

Sometimes on Ortho, when I'm holding my 3rd 100 lb leg of the day, I wish I had roids though. Feels sore, man. :(

troll. not cool to use that screen name and post that crap. misc person, whomever you may be, I am disappoint

My personal view of this matter is as follows: a hcp has the right to choose to do whatever he wants to his body as long as it doesn't directly affect his performance as a hcp.

But the moment it affects your performance in the hospital, you will need to do something about it. It's all about self control. If you have it, you can get away with doing whatever you want with your body.

so HCP can just do heroin when they are not working and be ok?

so HCP can just do heroin when they are not working and be ok?

Yes, as long as said HCP can still work as efficiently as he would without having done any heroin. But whether or not this could happen will depend on the HCP's own physiology and self control. Ie. shooting up 10 minutes before work starts is not a good idea.

The same applies to all things that could lead to addiction - video games (particularly WoW), Sudoku, checking ebay, finishing mixing music for a personal project. All these are examples of addictions that have led to friends of mine to some trouble with their superiors. Had they restricted these personal hobbies/projects to their own times (weekends/non-work days), they never would have gotten into trouble.

Anyone who smokes 1 or more packs per day will understand what I'm talking about.

Well. If they do recreational heroin and it didn't cause any other problems would there really be a problem?

In this fictional world where steroids are the same as recreational drugs, they wouldn't get caught unless it escalated into functional impairment.

Thx guys, looking good so far. Will bring up these points in our next S.G. meeting

steroids-why-u-have-no-balls-thumb.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Soy, steroids, and bowflex. There's a recipe for success if I ever heard one. Troll.

I call troll too. If not, it's just sad. Perhaps you should have realized that soy protein is incomplete (i.e. it's missing some essential amino acids) and will not make you grow

You might be the only person in this world who uses steroids and uses bowflex to work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.