stethoscope again

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by athena21, Dec 9, 2002.

1. athena21

athena21 Senior Member

hey guys...quick question...which is better? 22 inch littmann cardiology III or 27 inch littmann cardiology III?

thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    The longer the scope, the more extraneous noise problems you have. So, the shorter the better. Also keep in mind your willingness to lean over the bed. If you routinely examine patients from five feet away, then go for the longer one. If you're up close to the patient when you examine him/her, then the shorter should do you better.

4. KyGrlDr2B

I have heard that the 22" ones are too awkward to deal with when seeing patients. Do a search on it--there have been a ton of stethoscope threads in the past. That's what I did when I had to buy one a few months ago.

5. WSUreds

WSUreds Senior Member

Attending Physician
    According to the reps who sold the scopes to students at my school, the long scopes do not have this problem anymore. They say its a thing of the past and has been this way for quite some time. You can't go wrong with the long scope. Plus, the long and the short scopes are the same price.

6. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    Unless they have changed in the last 2 years, then I can honestly say that I speak from experience -- the longer scopes have more extraneous noise (but it is tolerable). I guess for someone at the bedside in a hospital it's ok. For someone in a moving ambulance, it's not ok.

7. me109cito

me109cito Banned
    Banned

ahh first years and their worries!