Stethoscopes....does it really matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scooby Doo

IEatShavedPussyCats
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok...I need a stethoscope. Can I just get the Littman Classic IIE or something that is about 60 bucks rather than the Cardiology III. My classmates seem to love the best of the best, so most have gotten that. I'm starting a clinical course this week where I will need one, so I'm wondering if it really matters?

Is there a difference between the stereo style headphones where it has dual projections to the earpieces (as in the Cardio III), as opposed to the single cord (in the "lesser" models)...???

One person seemed to suggest, only nurses use the ones that have a "single" cord....:confused: Damned if I know.....

Any help would be great!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen a lot of students and even residents with the classic II and the master classic II. unless you want to do cardiology, don't worry about getting the III. you'll hear everything you need to with one of the II's. Just don't get a nursing steth. One of my classmates was teased by an attending for having one.

Originally posted by Scooby Doo
Ok...I need a stethoscope. Can I just get the Littman Classic IIE or something that is about 60 bucks rather than the Cardiology III. My classmates seem to love the best of the best, so most have gotten that. I'm starting a clinical course this week where I will need one, so I'm wondering if it really matters?

Is there a difference between the stereo style headphones where it has dual projections to the earpieces (as in the Cardio III), as opposed to the single cord (in the "lesser" models)...???

One person seemed to suggest, only nurses use the ones that have a "single" cord....:confused: Damned if I know.....

Any help would be great!

Thanks!

you should spend the extra few $ to get a good stethescope. there IS a difference.

Members don't see this ad :)
I picked up the Cardiology III and I love it. It looks sharp and should last you a long time. It's a good purchase, even if you absolutely don't want to go Cardiology.

There are two real good things you need ( not just to be a doc, but for almost any medical profession), good shoes and a good stethoscope. I use a classic 2se now. Im a respiratory therpist, and it's been ok, but Im picking up a Master Cardiology in the next couple of weeks. You can find em or Card 3's online for about 125. dont forget the shoes, though.

Wow, Scooby Doo! Haven't seen you on SDN in forever. Welcome back! I'm sure the people in the lounge would love to hear from you...

Originally posted by Amy
Wow, Scooby Doo! Haven't seen you on SDN in forever. Welcome back! I'm sure the people in the lounge would love to hear from you...

Maybe I'll make a quick stop in the lounge....Nice pic btw.... ;)

Well, just from experience, and this is in the back of an ambulance hauling ass down the road with lights and sierns, the cardio II has the best acoustics. Even in the hospital setting, I feel it is superior to all others. The only bad thing about them is they tend to get up and walk away when you set them down.

I'd recommend the master cardiology ( i have it and love it) or the III. MOst of the students and attendings in our school have master/or III.

The II was adequate for EMS, but I'd spend a little more and get a nice one.

just my opinion!

Love my Master cardiology as a med student.

Originally posted by Scooby Doo
Maybe I'll make a quick stop in the lounge....Nice pic btw.... ;)
The groupies have been asking about you. I think we need out bi-annual where are all the old people threads.

I have an American Diagnostics steth that is comparible to the Littman II and I like it a lot. In my opinion, it sounds great and was cheaper than a Littman. I work in the ER and use it a lot and have never had any problems. A friend of mine let me use her Littman for one semester and when she needed it back I was going to buy my own. Then someone suggested this one with the idea of suckering someone into buying me a Littman for graduation! The only problem I've had with it is that it's a bit heavier than the Littman, but you get used to the added weight pretty quickly and I don't even notice it when it's around my neck any more.

Originally posted by 12R34Y
I'd recommend the master cardiology ( i have it and love it) or the III. MOst of the students and attendings in our school have master/or III.

The II was adequate for EMS, but I'd spend a little more and get a nice one.

just my opinion!

Love my Master cardiology as a med student.

I'm talking the cardio II, not the master classic II (it sux).

What is a really good one if you have a hard time hearing soft noises and distinguishing sounds?