stethoscopes...what people are using

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nofear

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI wanted to know what the residents or docs were using...I was thinking about getting the master cardio...any thoughts??thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I saw all those but I wanted to know what internal medicine residents or attendings are using...actually i just saw this Welch Allyn Harvey DLX Double Head Stethoscope --what do u guys think about that vs the master cardiology???thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
expensive and unnecessary. you can get by with just the cardiology III or a plain litmann.

I have a master and the only reason i have it is because my dad got it from a pharmaceutical rep and gave it to me.

expensive and unnecessary. you can get by with just the cardiology III or a plain litmann.

I have a master and the only reason i have it is because my dad got it from a pharmaceutical rep and gave it to me.

If I recall the WA DLX Harvey is no more expensive than the Littman Cardiology III.

So do u think that if money is not an issue the master cardiology or the WA DLX Harvey are still unnecessary??? a couple of residents at our hospital have the master cardiology and they love it, they say its the best one they have had, so I guess I am just trying to get your experience with the one you have now??thanks

The Harvey DLX is by far, much Better than the Littmann Cardio. Sounds are loud and crystal clear. With the Littmann, the sounds are loud, but not clear.

The Harvey DLX is by far, much Better than the Littmann Cardio. Sounds are loud and crystal clear. With the Littmann, the sounds are loud, but not clear.

I think this is of course going to be highly user dependent. I personally use my DRG puretone cardio and find that with the microbial seal as a diaphram I can hear far better than my puretone with the traditional diaphram as well as the Welch or Littmann products. But I honestly do not feel that the DRG is superior, just better suited to my ears.

There was a great thread posted about a year ago I believe by KentW who went into depth about the various differences. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Heres an interesting abstract...

Jonathan B. Waugh, PhD; Dale W. Callahan, PhD; Wesley M. Granger, PhD; George A. Mathew, MS. University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL.

BACKGROUND:
There are many brands of stethoscopes currently marketed. Little data exists to guide clinicians on the differences between models that often vary greatly in price. We tested eight high-quality stethoscopes to determine if there was a difference in average frequency response.

METHODS: Eight different models (Littmann Master Cardiology, Advanced Diagnostics Corp. Adscope 601, Heine Optotechnik Gamma20, Allen Medical Instruments Gemini 23”, Welch Allyn Harvey DLX and Elite, Philips Rappaport-Sprague, Doctor’s Research Group Puretone Cardiology) of adult “cardiology” stethoscopes (8 had diaphragm chest pieces, only 7 had bell chest pieces) were measured using a pure tone (sine wave) sweep input from 50-3000 Hertz. Four copies of each model were tested and the data averaged for comparison by ANOVA. The average relative change in decibels (dB) (difference of stethoscope output signal from reference input signal) for each model over the measured frequency range was compared.

RESULTS:
The ANOVA indicated a difference among models for the bell and diaphragm chest pieces (p<0.001). The stethoscope bell chest piece with the least negative average dB value (closer to zero dB the better) was the Welch Allyn DLX (post hoc analysis by Tukey-Kramer Test showed this model was significantly different [p<0.05] from all other models). The dB means for the bell measurements ranged from –7.80 to –14.20. The diaphragm chest piece with the least negative value was the Philips Rappaport-Sprague (post hoc analysis showed this model was significantly different from all other models except the Allen Medical Instruments Gemini 23”). The dB means for the diaphragm measurements ranged from –11.10 to –13.73.

DISCUSSION: The results show that the best bell and diaphragm values did not occur with the same model of stethoscope. There was a greater range of values for the bell chest pieces than with the diaphragms chest pieces.

CONCLUSION: Bench testing using computerized signal processing methods shows statistical differences between the models tested. These results need to be compared to testing done with experienced human auscultators to see if these statistical differences have clinical significance.