Stethoscopes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nuclearrabbit77

commercial sex worker
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
wat kind should i get? good place to buy one?

nuke

northwestern - 2006

Members don't see this ad.

yo i got a littman cardiology III (according to cmz this is a pretty good one cause it works for both adult and peds patients and you dont have to do anything fancy like change out the bell, you jsut flip it over). i bought mine at www.egeneralmedical.com cause they gave me a free student kit with it.

I had a Littmann Cardiology III until it "went missing". Now I have Classic II. Most people here at Duke have one or the other. I actually prefer the Classic (which is a less expensive model) because it's much lighter, more comfortable to wear, and fits in my pocket better. The Cardiology has more metal and stiffer tubes, and it was just too unwieldy for me. And I notice ZERO difference in quality.

Besides, the Classic comes in more colours!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by nuclearrabbit77
wat kind should i get? good place to buy one?

nuke

northwestern - 2006

Wait for the medical equipment reps to come to your school, and order one from them. They sell stuff to students at a substantial discount.

I agree w/ Amy, get that $hit free.

If you have 400$ laying around, Id suggest the Welch-Allyn Electronic Steth.

Ive used it, and the clarity is unbelievable. Within 5 yrs, every1 will have one. Its great for people w/ bad ears, or when u listen to an obese pt. Even for those w/ good ears, it helps a lot...

Before you buy....check out the stethoscopes made by Doctors Research Group. I bought the Cardiology model and I really liked the difference in sound between it and the Littman Cardio III.

my 3 cents....
WISC-ite

Man those electronic stethoscopes are sweet! I really like the Littman electronic... as a gadget freak, I would love to have one, but quite frankly as a student, I have no real need for one. As a physician I have no need for one either. When my hearing gets so bad that I need amplification, then I'll get one. They're just way too expensive right now.

The Littman is really cool... you can record on it. So if you hear a murmur that you want others to listen to, you can record it! Cool!

I have the Welch-Allyn Harvey Deluxe, and I like it a lot. The earpiece angles are adjustable, unlike the Littmanns, and that was one of the selling points to me. It cost similar to the Littmann C III, and has a seperate diaphragm and bell and comes with a ped diaphragm and bell which you have to switch with the adult to use. Having to switch may be a draw back, but I like having a seperate bell so I don't get confused on whether I'm listening to high or low sounds. (That may sound funny, considering sounds generally sound high or low, but when I'm trying to remember all my cardio exam stuff, the simple stuff can trip me up.) But bottom line is that they are all about the same within a certain price range. I'd be cautious of buying anything I couldn't afford to replace if I lost it in a year.

One of the Littman Cardio III's big marketing points is that you get adult and peds diaphragms on the same scope and don't have to switch. The fine print, however, is that the "peds diaphragm" is actually the adult bell with a diaphragm over it. So you have the option of using it EITHER as a peds scope OR an adult bell, but switching between the two configurations is a huge pain.

Which is not to say that it's not a fine, well-made scope, but just don't get it because of the "adult + peds in the same scope" ploy.