Steve Yzermann

Discussion in 'Surgery and Surgical Subspecialties' started by HumidifiedMoistureExchange, May 3, 2004.

1. Direct Laryngoscopy

Direct Laryngoscopy Account on Hold
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Detroit Red Winger Steve Yzermann underwent surgery to repair a scratched cornea and fractured eye socket. I know Ophthalmology would perform the surgery to repair the cornea, but who would perform the case to repair the eye socket, Gensurg, ENT or dental? What factors come into consideration when determining which department will handle such cases?

just curious. thanx

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. maxheadroom

maxheadroom Rhinestone Cowboy
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    ENT or Plastics would probably do the orbital fracture, if it required plating (not all do). In some places, Ophtho will do orbital fractures, also.

3. samsoccer7

samsoccer7 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

The best doctors at Henry Ford probably did it. Some places will have ENT, some plastics, some Optho, depending on who has the highest expertise. Oh yeah, and it probably depends on who was on call too.

By the way, that puck looked so frickin' painful. And even more painful is that I'm a diehard Red Wings fan.

4. NE_Cornhusker1

NE_Cornhusker1 12" Member
    7+ Year Member

on call? hah! this isn't some drunk who got rocked in a bar fight and dropped off by the emts, he's steve 'freaking' yzerman. i'd agree he got the best surgeons henry ford had.

that had to hurt. i had my teeth ko'd playing hockey a few years ago [me: dad i just got my teeth ko'd. dad: well, you should pry go out and pick them up.] but that didn't hurt but broken orbital just couldn't feel good.

calgary is playing some good hockey- i wouldn't surprised to see them take the cup. it looks like my sharks are going to wrap this one up aginst the avalanche.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Eyesore

Eyesore Member
    15+ Year Member

For orbital fractures, unless it involves the roof in which neurosurgery has to be involved, an oculoplastics doc would be involved. An oculoplastics doc is an ophthalmologist with subspecialty training in lids, orbital disease, etc. The reason I feel oculoplastics should handle this rather than ENT, or plastics, is that they will focus more on vision function. It is not only important to repair, or not repair, the orbit anatomically, but also focus on vision function. This involves thorough assessments and management of the degree of double vision in all areas of gaze.