Stewart Medical School!! You have to see this!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMCC

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I came across a couple of threads in the pre-med forums. This school is awesome!!! I sooo wish I had applied there before going to a "traditional" medical school. You also have to check out the faculty, the administration, and the staff...:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

www.stewartmed.org

I simply cannot believe that such a "school" is allowed to operate in the US... Anyone else hear of this "school" or any of their graduates/students???

:laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

I think their admin are even more hilarious!

admin

I like that they refer to the summer after first year as "empty." Even though I was doing research, I was glad I had that summer "off." My roomate is a PA and they go pretty much straight through for 27 months, pretty intense.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think their admin are even more hilarious!

admin

I especially appreciate the Chief Operating Officer... Why couldn't the COO of my school dress like that for pictures... bleh (how do I use that vomiting emoticon?)

I especially appreciate the Chief Operating Officer... Why couldn't the COO of my school dress like that for pictures... bleh (how do I use that vomiting emoticon?)

here you go :barf: (it's barf surrounded by colons)

They have access to PubMed!!!!!!! That settles it, I'm transferring.

As a M2, who is almost finished with the basic science portion of Traditional MD program, I've often thought that this portion of school could be completed successfully w/ only text books and review books. Haven't there been many times that the information the instructors are spending so much time on for our own tests will never appear on the boards and if they're not on the boards...

Additionally, I've heard that at the VA you normally get to do anything you feel comfortable with. For those of you that are residents, don't you think that a motivated student could be successful in this type of program and become a relatively good, community physician in what ever specialty they can get into?

I'll admit that for the less-motivated student or future academic/physican scientist this type of program will NOT be helpful.

I especially appreciate the Chief Operating Officer... Why couldn't the COO of my school dress like that for pictures...

She looks like the cocktail waitress that served us drinks last night. I bet she calls everyone "sugar" and "hun"

We should write a personal statement on this thread...Who wants to start the first paragraph?

Fine...I'll start:

"My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Some times he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy, the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical, summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds, pretty standard really. At the age of 12 I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum, it's breathtaking, I suggest you try."

Reactions: 2 users
Gotta love this excerpt from their FAQ:
Stewart University said:
Q: Where are the clinical rotations being done?
A: Clinical rotations are the least concern of a new applicant to medical school.

Oh really...well, I went about the whole thing the wrong way I guess. They expand on that but don't give any real answers.

Shady shady shady...(the school, not me)

Edit: Oh, and one thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is that you need no MCAT, no undergrad degree, no minimum undergrad credit hours to get in...it keeps getting better and better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Gotta love this excerpt from their FAQ:

Oh really...well, I went about the whole thing the wrong way I guess. They expand on that but don't give any real answers.

Shady shady shady...(the school, not me)

I feel like I've seen some of their director/admissions people on animal house

Has anyone seen the cost of tuition yet???

Is this thing for real, or is it a joke? I actually couldn't tell. If it's a joke, then "huzzah" for a job well done.

I wish it was a joke. Supposedly, someone on the pre-allopathic forum called and got a secretary who pretty much answered all questions by reading off of the FAQs...

I am so tempted to apply just for kicks--after all my MCAT is no longer relevant (doesn't matter, who needs the MCAT for medical school?), I don't even know who to contact to get my undergrad transcript (college? Please, college isn't needed). BUT, I was never in the military... :mad:

Also, I don't have the $75 to throw away... Perhaps we can set up a SDN account (as part of the yearly donation) and have one of the mods go there...

actually guys i'm kind of offended. i will be graduating from there soon.
i entered med school right out of high school (AP classes) and just bypassed "all that other crap". actually the clinical rotations were exceptional. why actually touch a patient and risk accidental needle sticks or the smell of poo/vomit (emesis in official medical terms) when you don't have to? virtual reality and Sim-man are incredibly realistic and I feel prepared to handle ANY situation that could come up.

ran into some problems with residency applications, grades, and LOR though. instead of honors, high pass, etc. we have green, blue, and red stars. many PD's asked about it. also because my "university" doesn't accept letters of recommendation I had a hard time getting those. most PD's hopefullly understood that we are pretty much ivy league so it goes without saying.

Would I have to go to class at this wonder school? At my allopathic school I've been able to avoid it for the first two years, but I've yet to come up with a way to stay at home and hang out with the dog for 3rd and 4th year. This could be a deal breaker. Plus, I feel like they'd have a spot open for M3s.

Also, does anyone know if this the real-life school that Dr. Nick refers to as "Hollywood Upstairs Medical College?" Upon doing a little wikipedia research (where I embarrassingly learn a lot of preclinical science stuff) I found that "In the episode "Bart Gets Hit by a Car", his degrees read "Mayo Clinic Correspondence School", "Club Med School", "Female Body Inspector" and "I went to medical school for four years and all I got was this lousy diploma".

I'm speechless...

wtf? even if this is real, who pays to go to a school from which a diploma is worthless?

it's not like my med school is at all prestigious but $hit, at least there's a hope i can pay off the loans after graduation.

actually guys i'm kind of offended. i will be graduating from there soon.
i entered med school right out of high school (AP classes) and just bypassed "all that other crap". actually the clinical rotations were exceptional. why actually touch a patient and risk accidental needle sticks or the smell of poo/vomit (emesis in official medical terms) when you don't have to? virtual reality and Sim-man are incredibly realistic and I feel prepared to handle ANY situation that could come up.

ran into some problems with residency applications, grades, and LOR though. instead of honors, high pass, etc. we have green, blue, and red stars. many PD's asked about it. also because my "university" doesn't accept letters of recommendation I had a hard time getting those. most PD's hopefullly understood that we are pretty much ivy league so it goes without saying.

Nice... you put the word university in quotes... entirely accurate I must say! :laugh:

Green, blue, and red stars? Sounds like kindergarten. I truly hope this post, and the whole "stewart university" site, are complete hoaxes.

I found $10,500 per 4 months listed but it says that they can change tuition at any time.

You are kidding me...

Every picture on the website is so creepy. They all look brainwashed, David Koresh style.

The trend in all education is towards shorter, non-formal training (like Phoenix University online, Devry, ITT Tech, etc.). Unfortunately it looks like this concept is coming to medicine as well.

At least Stewart has a great location, in San Jose. It'd be great to go to med school there. Even if your degree is meaningless, at least you'd have the beach.

For any of you guys looking for an academic job it looks like they have an opening or two. http://www.stewartmed.org/facultyjobs.html

All they need is to find a few more faculty who can teach Human Gross Anatomy, Embryology, Histology (microscopic anatomy), Pathology, Pharmacology, Biochemistry, Human Genetics, Neuroscience, Behavioral Science, Immunology, Microbiology, Physiology, Public Health (including biostatistics), Medical Ethics, and Physical Examination.

MMMMmmmm Ooooooo
I have been looking for a "webmistress".
http://www.stewartmed.org/staff.html

Yeah, everybody got an extra laugh out of the "webmistress" yesterday night. Check out some of their biographies (the ones that are clickable that is)--I never knew that moving to Cali and living near a park is something that I should be putting on my CV.

I called them actually, 'cause I was confused about their whole deal -- that they only have a PO Box, and the guy who answered went off on me for "StudentDoctor" and "ValueMD" harassing them. I asked where they are located and he said "We release that information when a person has been accepted." He then went into a whole diatribe about how they are private and don't accept any public money, so they have a right to be private. Skeeeetchy.

I blogged about the whole thing.

Still not sure why they need "DPM, DVM, DDS, DMD" at this school...

They must sit at their smoke-outs, err, I mean staff meetings and say to each other "Do you this will work. Hey, who brought the veterinarian?"

AubreeGuancione.jpg

The Chief Operations Officer, Ms. R Aubree Guancione.

Yikes.

For any of you guys looking for an academic job it looks like they have an opening or two. http://www.stewartmed.org/facultyjobs.html

All they need is to find a few more faculty who can teach Human Gross Anatomy, Embryology, Histology (microscopic anatomy), Pathology, Pharmacology, Biochemistry, Human Genetics, Neuroscience, Behavioral Science, Immunology, Microbiology, Physiology, Public Health (including biostatistics), Medical Ethics, and Physical Examination.

if it pays right ill put my morals aside..kidding of course

So they are not accredited either. Big surprise.

And they clearly have run into a few obstacles in securing rotation sites for their clinicals.

Good luck getting a residency or U.S. medical license despite what their website says.

This is a fraud.

At least Stewart has a great location, in San Jose. It'd be great to go to med school there. Even if your degree is meaningless, at least you'd have the beach.
Yeah, San Jose would rock were it anywhere near the coast...

I thought Stewart was in Springfield, boardered by Ohio, Maine, Nevada and Kentucky.

If it quacks like a duck and walks like a duck, then it's likely a duck.

How do you go about suggesting a good investigative story to dateline nbc or 20/20 or one of those shows?

I personally don't think it's a huge prank, I think it's bleeding obvious that it's a scheme to collect money either through the application to apply to their "school" and no one will get accepted but they'll claim to have a class. or maybe they'll have their three faculty teach for the first semesters prior to clinical rotations, collect the tuition money then run like bandits.

I personally don't think it's a huge prank, I think it's bleeding obvious that it's a scheme to collect money either through the application to apply to their "school" and no one will get accepted but they'll claim to have a class.

the website lists an AMSA chapter and AMSA officers. Maybe someone less lazy than myself could verify that this med school exists with AMSA?

Check out this email exchange I recently had with a school representative:

Is this a real medical school? Where do you hold basic science classes? Did you scrub for a c-sec as an M1? Is this a joke, or is this a real medical school? How do I apply? Is it worth it?

Mr.*****,

Hello sir how are you? I really do not understand the nature of your question so I will take it as face value. The school is very real. Its a brand new school that is still growing. Due to security issues I cannot reveal the location of the campus until you are accepted as a student. As for the photo of my mentor and I that was taken before I applied to medical school when I was a surgical intern. If there are anymore questions please feel free to write. With my exam schedule I will try to answer them as quick as possible.

Respectfully,

Why do you call yourselves 'The number 1 leader in US medical education', and why do you have veterinarians on your staff?

????

I do not understand your question

Why would a med school employ veterinarians?, it is pretty straighforward. How were you a surgical intern BEFORE med school? What kind of med school will not reveal their location because of 'security'??? Why would anyone go to a school like this when there are so many other offshore options?

As to why would a med school would employ vets, well I really do not know. I did not hire the staff so I cannot answer that question. I was a surgical intern by applying to an internship. Hopefully soon I will recieve the chance to do another one. Security is a very big concern, our students and staff and have been stalked and threatened by students that are related to medical schools offshore, so until these matters are settled, security is of top priority. Besides, the last thing a student needs to worry about is feeling safe while he or she is in the middle of studying for exams. We do know that some of these people have been arrested and more will follow.

Why would you want to go offshore when you can go to a medical school in California?
The answer seems pretty simple to me,

Your school is being discussed on studentdoctor.net
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=502254

This website has been discussing our school for over a year and this website is a fraud. You see, you have to pay to advertise on this site, those offshore schools that do not pay are then bombarded with negative press. This website caters to the caribbean school. WE ARE NOT LOCATED IN THE CARIBBEAN. We are located in California. These forums realize that a new school is being built in California that threatens the financial source for schools that are located in the Caribbean.

Here are some facts for you:

-This website has caused a school in the caribbean not to get its accreditation-
-This website is not non-profit as it claims to be and makes over $400,000 a year-

-One of the schools that is advertised by this website has been linked to Al-Qaeda and also has a soccer team named the terrorists.-

-The people that are continually talking negative press about Stewart University are hired by the forums and do not represent the public but are there to make sure that Stewart University does not grow-

-They have failed-

-We have reason to believe that since this school gives preference to military veterans and our entire administration is composed of naval officers, we have become a target by one of the schools that is reportedly linked to Al-Qaeda-
-The administration is composed of America's finest. People who served our country. They are here to help, not to take verbal abuse-

Hope this helps,

"The people that are continually talking negative press about Stewart University are hired by the forums and do not represent the public but are there to make sure that Stewart University does not grow"

Wait, so you've all been getting paid by student doctor to bash stewart? Dude, where's my check? I'm demanding reparations!