Stick it out or quit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

physcigirl27

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been researching off and on for the past year in a biochem lab. The people are really nice and everything but I really don't like it. I've tried it and it's done and it definitely isn't something I enjoy; I have to force myself to go and I'm miserable when I do. I have plenty of other ec: scribe, cpr/fa, shadowing, etc so i was wondering what I should do.
How important is research anyway? And how long should you do it? Until you get a publication (doesn't seem like that's going to happen anytime soon, it's been a year almost and I am still in the learning stages)? I'd rather use the time I spend in lab to study for classes/mcat, work more in the er or pursue other ecs...I dunno how that'd look for med school though. And in all honesty I'm not shooting for UCLA med or whatever. I'm fine with lower tier...
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

A year of research is plenty (pretty sure it's above the average by a fair bit). It's not a necessity anyway. If you don't enjoy it, finish the year out and quit :)

Agree. You don't have to do anything you dislike (with the possible exception of the MCAT) to get into medical school. You tried it, you're allowed to move on.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd give the same advice. I did a summer of it, and I hated it. However, I didn't cross it out of my possible careers (even if I'm starting med next fall). The experience of research, I suppose, is very different if you don't have your very own project, so leave some doors open...

But for now, close the research one and concentrate on premed life :)

If you don't like it, don't do it! Better yet, you can mention it as a "learning experience" in interviews/essays - you don't have to pretend to med schools that you like it. They like to see that you tried it out and learned something about yourself - ie in this case, that you prefer working with people and patient contact over academic research. No shame in that.

Sorry, I didn't read your whole thread, but this is what I have to say: If you are close to writing a paper to get published or something like that, then you should stick to it and finish your run like that.

I was in the same position as you are right now about 2 years ago. Worked in a biochem lab for a while and was miserable. After the research session was over I kindly told the professor I would not be interested in working with him anymore and I promptly changed my major to physics (I'm more of a math/thinking person). My advice to you is don't get caught up in something you'll likely be miserable with in the long run.

Sorry, I didn't read your whole thread, but this is what I have to say: If you are close to writing a paper to get published or something like that, then you should stick to it and finish your run like that.

Agree :thumbup:

Hi, I'll try to provide you with an insider's perspective. I love research and I want to go into research medicine BUT I know that research is not for everyone. I was in a biochemistry laboratory for some years and we always had students (mostly premeds) that came through and did a good job, but it was clear that their hearts weren't into it. We appreciated their service and weren't offended when they left.

With that said, maybe there's a different field of research that you like? :)

I'm not even close to getting published. The biochem stuff is really tedious so they don't have very many publication "opportunities" and to be honest, I go pretty sporadically because it's such a CHORE to go. I have to drag myself there and I want to turn around when I'm going there...I sound overly dramatic, but yes. I really don't like research and (I'm sad to say this) the reason I was doing it after the first few months was because I thought it was pretty much an "unspoken rule" that you had to do it to go to med school...I did go into it htinking I might want to go into research as a career. yeah...not gonna happen.

I'm not even close to getting published. The biochem stuff is really tedious so they don't have very many publication "opportunities" and to be honest, I go pretty sporadically because it's such a CHORE to go. I have to drag myself there and I want to turn around when I'm going there...I sound overly dramatic, but yes. I really don't like research and (I'm sad to say this) the reason I was doing it after the first few months was because I thought it was pretty much an "unspoken rule" that you had to do it to go to med school...I did go into it htinking I might want to go into research as a career. yeah...not gonna happen.

What exactly are you doing? What aspect of it do you hate?

If you don't like it, don't do it! Better yet, you can mention it as a "learning experience" in interviews/essays - you don't have to pretend to med schools that you like it. They like to see that you tried it out and learned something about yourself - ie in this case, that you prefer working with people and patient contact over academic research. No shame in that.

But don't give ANY hint that you Don't like it. Cus a lot of adcom members do research, and saying that you don't like research outright is dangerous. If you're asked anything along the line of "why not research", just say you like being a clinician more.

I knew I would HATE working in a bio lab so I tried Psychology research for a semester instead. I got to work with people instead of pipetting, but I still just didn't love it.
Instead of dragging yourself to a lab for the next year or more, find something else to get involved in. For me, I ended up getting a TA position and absolutely LOVED IT.
I'd much rather admit to admissions people that research was a learning experience but wasn't my calling (HELLO thats why I'm trying to get an MD not a PhD) and that I found that I love teaching than to be half heartedly explaining 2 years of research that I didn't really care about.

I did research during undergrad...and I absolutely hated it. Honestly, I don't see how anyone can do that kind of thing for a living or for years on end. Personally, if I were you, unless you're getting published (1st, 2nd author, othererwise it doesn't matter), I'd quit. I honestly don't think it makes too big of a difference in terms of the application process to med school unless you want a MD/PhD.

I dabbled in some lab research before med school, and didn't really like it.

Now I am between my first and second years of med school, and I am doing clinical research, and I love it. In fact, it has changed my outlook, somewhat, on the kinds of programs I want to look for when applying to residency, because I now want the opportunity to work on cool projects like these while I am training.

How much time do you have available, and are you near a big academic medical school? If you are willing to work hard, you can find someone who is willing to put you to work. Clinical research might be a little more up your alley.

Another benefit of the research I am doing... I am doing it in one of the nation's busiest Level I trauma centers. I am getting lots of exposure to ultrasound exams, which I wouldn't have otherwise seen much of until rotations, and I am getting lots of practice talking to legitimately very sick patients. I worked in a busy ER before med school too, but this is a little different, in terms of my role. It is good practice.

Go ahead and quit. Don't subject yourself to misery. I personally would rather clean a sewer than do research.