Stick with Pharmacy school debt free or drop out and be homeless

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopelessStudentD

Ex P1
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the title states is my current situation.

Current P1, my circumstances are typical Asian parents want a "doctorate" degree. They are footing the bill for tuition so I would graduate completely debt free. Even though I don't completely hate pharmacy, been working as a tech at a big three letter company for over a year now and like most of the patient interaction; however, I am not passionate about the retail setting at all. With the market saturation of graduating pharm students, most of the jobs are going to be in retail. I've brought up the idea to my parents about going back to do a post-bacc to get a CS degree (Took a few CS classes during undergrad and really enjoyed them), but they won't entertain it and have clearly stated they will kick me out of the house and cut me off financially. So either stick with pharmacy debt free or be homeless and pursue something I'm passionate about.

Has anyone been in this situation before? What did you do? If you were in my shoes which option would you pick?

Members don't see this ad.

Current P1, my circumstances are typical Asian parents want a "doctorate" degree. They are footing the bill for tuition so I would graduate completely debt free. Even though I don't completely hate pharmacy, been working as a tech at a big three letter company for over a year now and like most of the patient interaction; however, I am not passionate about the retail setting at all. With the market saturation of graduating pharm students, most of the jobs are going to be in retail. I've brought up the idea to my parents about going back to do a post-bacc to get a CS degree (Took a few CS classes during undergrad and really enjoyed them), but they won't entertain it and have clearly stated they will kick me out of the house and cut me off financially. So either stick with pharmacy debt free or be homeless and pursue something I'm passionate about.

Has anyone been in this situation before? What did you do? If you were in my shoes which option would you pick?
Did you explain the current job market to them?

Reactions: 1 user
Did you explain the current job market to them?
Yep. Gave them the BLS statistics and explained the every increasing amount of unemployed students graduating every year. But as long as they can brag to relatives about a "doctorate" degree they don't really care.

Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't CS full of Asians?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Are they going to support you financially after you graduate, trust fund baby style?

Have you showed that your alternative route is cheaper than staying in pharmacy. It is cheaper for your parents too. I would suggest to find a cheap CS program that has its graduates getting a job and show them the stats. And you may not need a Post bacc for CS. There are programs out their without CS pre reqs and way cheaper than pharmacy

Post Bacc has always been geared to towards people who want to switch to becoming physicians.

Yep. Gave them the BLS statistics and explained the every increasing amount of unemployed students graduating every year. But as long as they can brag to relatives about a "doctorate" degree they don't really care.

With 80% applicants being accepted your fancy doctorate is going to look really embarassing really fast.

Reactions: 2 users

So if you change your mind, they kick you out and you'll be homeless. What will they brag about then?

With the market saturation of graduating pharm students, most of the jobs are going to be in retail.
Not true -- the outlook is much worse than you make it out to be. Historically it's true that 70-80% of jobs are in retail, but that sector is getting decimated by automation, poor reimbursements etc and jobs are getting slashed by the thousands each year in this sector. So at some point there will be more hospital pharmacists than retail pharmacists because retail pharmacists are getting displaced from their jobs en masse and new grads aren't taking their jobs (because they're gone forever). Unless you're making the argument that 5 retail pharmacists each with 8 hrs/week x $30/hr counts as 5 jobs and 1 hospital pharmacist x 40hrs/week counts as 1 job (and therefore 5 out of 6 jobs, or 83%, is retail), there is simply no way most jobs are in retail anymore so retail is not a "backup" plan to any student anymore.

Realistically, it's residency or bust but residency just gives you an opportunity to compete in the tournament (you passed the qualifiers) for the 500 or so prizes for placement (jobs) against the 5,000 other participants (those in your residency class) plus the participants who had an automatic bid to the tournament pool and have a non-traditional route of entry(current hospital pharmacists, displaced retail pharmacists etc). So the question is why would anyone train their entire life and go through the Hunger Games just to have a CHANCE at a job afterwards?

The answer is pretty simple - just drop out and do ANYTHING except pharmacy.

What will they brag about when you don’t get a job after four years of being debt free. CS tuition is not expensive even if you take loans for tuition and living expenses. Don’t be scared to leave Mommy and Daddy.

Drop out of pharmacy school. Do the post bacc and get into CS program. And again, look into many programs. You may not need a post bacc. Start interning with a CS job in the summer while in the program. You will still be better off financially than your colleagues who don’t have parents paying for their tuition and rent and are stuck in 200k in loans working for $45/hr at CVS. And you will be graduating earlier than your colleagues. While your colleagues in pharmacy will take years to find a job, you will find a CS job in a month or two but not more than 6 months.

If you are still hesitant and want to be debt free, i would pursue pharmacy industry in Big Pharma. I would apply for pharmacy fellowships.

To get accepted by these industry fellowships, I would intern at a Pharmaceutical company or Biotech company during the P1 summer or P2 summer. I would try to get a rotation in Pharmaceutical company P4 year. Network is key to getting a fellowship as well as grades. And if you can do a project with Big Pharma, that would look great.

Avoid direct patient care pharmacy:retail and hospital.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you showed that your alternative route is cheaper than staying in pharmacy. It is cheaper for your parents too. I would suggest to find a cheap CS program that has its graduates getting a job and show them the stats. And you may not need a Post bacc for CS. There are programs out their without CS pre reqs and way cheaper than pharmacy

Post Bacc has always been geared to towards people who want to switch to becoming physicians.

i don't think you are understanding the situation lol

the parents are willing and have the mean to pay for a 300k degree, so money is clearly not a factor for them, what they want is prestige

so if OP want to do CS, he better get a CS degree from stanford or some IVY league school to appease the parents lol

the parents are willing and have the mean to pay for a 300k degree, so money is clearly not a factor for them, what they want is prestige

so if OP want to do CS, he better get a CS degree from stanford or some IVY league school to appease the parents lol
Irrespectively, Ivy CS or MIT CS is better and still cheaper than sticking with pharmacy school.

If his parents are willing to pay for it, it comes to 128,000k in tuition if he is in a private pharmacy school or public 80,000k. Not 300k, that is for someone taking out loans.

A pharmD is not prestigious in 2020. It's the parents that don't understand the situation. They are living in the past, it's not 1999 anymore.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, I would finish your Pharm. D. After that, you can always go back to CS, like other pharmacists here have done. Education will never hurt you (it just probably won't help that much here....but then again, maybe you will be a fortunate one who gets a job straight out of school.)

Don’t fall for the “doctorate” trap. The same thing has happened with DPT’s: nothing more than a way to drag out the training process and extract money from unsuspecting students.

Money, lifestyle, location come first.

Honestly, I would finish your Pharm. D. After that, you can always go back to CS, like other pharmacists here have done. Education will never hurt you (it just probably won't help that much here....but then again, maybe you will be a fortunate one who gets a job straight out of school.)
Which pharmacists on this sub have actually done that successfully? I can't think of anyone. If you're referring to HedgeHog32 then his pharmacy degree helped him not one bit AND he doesn't even have a CS job yet. If you're referring to pharmacy_sucks / harvoni_rituxan / pkpd_modeler / DIPEA then the dude isn't even in CS and as far as I remember he is only starting coursework now (i.e. a CS degree didn't help him get a job because he doesn't have one). A switch to CS might be the worst type of career change for someone who spends 4 years or more in pharmacy school/as a pharmacist because there is extreme ageism in this field -- as in why would companies hire someone who is 30 for an entry level position when they can get the same production out of an 18-22 year old who has a much longer shelf life? Not to mention that the grind of coding 16-18 hr days is something that a young professional can deal with, but is unsustainable for someone much older. I'd drop out now and study CS if that is OP's passion - you'd be 3 years "ahead" compared to finishing up a worthless PharmD that has no application to CS.

Can you get a doctorate in plumbing? Or HVAC?

Mario was a plumber and a Dr.
Pipetechs+Mario.png

220px-Dr._Mario_box_art.jpg

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
Which pharmacists on this sub have actually done that successfully? I can't think of anyone. If you're referring to HedgeHog32 then his pharmacy degree helped him not one bit AND he doesn't even have a CS job yet. If you're referring to pharmacy_sucks / harvoni_rituxan / pkpd_modeler / DIPEA then the dude isn't even in CS and as far as I remember he is only starting coursework now (i.e. a CS degree didn't help him get a job because he doesn't have one). A switch to CS might be the worst type of career change for someone who spends 4 years or more in pharmacy school/as a pharmacist because there is extreme ageism in this field -- as in why would companies hire someone who is 30 for an entry level position when they can get the same production out of an 18-22 year old who has a much longer shelf life? Not to mention that the grind of coding 16-18 hr days is something that a young professional can deal with, but is unsustainable for someone much older. I'd drop out now and study CS if that is OP's passion - you'd be 3 years "ahead" compared to finishing up a worthless PharmD that has no application to CS.

OK, I wasn't clear. I don't recommend that this guy switch to CS. I'm just saying *if* his/her heart is set on this, s/he can always do it after getting their pharmacy degree. I didn't mean to imply there was anything in the Pharm D degree that would be directly helpful if switching to CS. My point was, that knowledge is always helpful and good for ones soul, even if not used in a career (that is why people get liberal arts degrees!) My understandingof the ageism in CS, is that places want fresh grads, not that they want to hire someone for longevity.

Family situations are difficult. I think the OP will regret getting disowned by his/her parents more than s/he would regret getting a pharmacy degree they never use. It is real easy for outsiders to say "go for your passion", if the OP were emotionally strong enough to do that, then the OP wouldn't be asking for advice on an anonymous board. I think the OP needs reassurance that it is OK to acquiescence to their parents at this point in their life, it doesn't mean they can't pursue a dream later. (if CS is indeed a dream.....it sounds more like it just something the OP thinks might be a viable alternative to pharmacy.)

Reactions: 3 users
A Nintendo character got prescriptive authority before we did.

His malpractice must be through the roof. How he even keeps his license is beyond me. He is literally just throwing random pills at bugs hoping they die.

Then again, maybe not that unrealistic.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
A pharmD is not prestigious in 2020. It's the parents that don't understand the situation. They are living in the past, it's not 1999 anymore.
OK, I wasn't clear. I don't recommend that this guy switch to CS. I'm just saying *if* his/her heart is set on this, s/he can always do it after getting their pharmacy degree. I didn't mean to imply there was anything in the Pharm D degree that would be directly helpful if switching to CS. My point was, that knowledge is always helpful and good for ones soul, even if not used in a career (that is why people get liberal arts degrees!) My understandingof the ageism in CS, is that places want fresh grads, not that they want to hire someone for longevity.

Family situations are difficult. I think the OP will regret getting disowned by his/her parents more than s/he would regret getting a pharmacy degree they never use. It is real easy for outsiders to say "go for your passion", if the OP were emotionally strong enough to do that, then the OP wouldn't be asking for advice on an anonymous board. I think the OP needs reassurance that it is OK to acquiescence to their parents at this point in their life, it doesn't mean they can't pursue a dream later. (if CS is indeed a dream.....it sounds more like it just something the OP thinks might be a viable alternative to pharmacy.)
He has a long career ahead of him.The job market sucks now but no one knows what it will be like in 10 to 15 years.Just look how the market changed from 2005 to 2020. Finish the Pharm D.

I think the solution is for OP to come up with tactics and keep trying different approaches to convince his parents that pharmacy is a dead field and let him switch to something else. Asians are generally very passive aggressive and non-confrontational, so it's very likely that OP never had a serious career discussion with his parents until late into college (in the meantime, his parents were just assuming things). So up to OP to change their minds about it.

He has a long career ahead of him.The job market sucks now but no one knows what it will be like in 10 to 15 years.Just look how the market changed from 2005 to 2020. Finish the Pharm D.
What the field looks like 10-15 years from now is irrelevant to OP. What the field looks like 3-4 years from now is what counts, and it's all doom and gloom for the forseeable future. Even in the best case scenario of the profession somehow "fixing" itself and jobs start springing out of nowhere in 10 years, OP would have been helplessly unemployed for 6-7 years and has no chance at competing for these "new jobs" against the class of 2030 or the residency class of 2030.

How can you tell someone to finish a pharmD after seeing how the market changed from 2005 to 2020?

What the field looks like 10-15 years from now is irrelevant to OP. What the field looks like 3-4 years from now is what counts, and it's all doom and gloom for the forseeable future. Even in the best case scenario of the profession somehow "fixing" itself and jobs start springing out of nowhere in 10 years, OP would have been helplessly unemployed for 6-7 years and has no chance at competing for these "new jobs" against the class of 2030 or the residency class of 2030.
[/QUOTE
If he is
How can you tell someone to finish a pharmD after seeing how the market changed from 2005 to 2020?
Markets always reach equilibrium.The correction has already started.

The correction has not started because supply hasn't dropped yet (numerator isn't decreasing since there are still 15,000 new grads per year) and the denominator of total pharmacist jobs is decreasing every day due to automation, so that number has not flattened out yet. This is very different from law schools where the number of lawyer jobs have stayed consistent despite oversaturation of students (change in numerator only). Do you think Blockbusters jobs reached "equilibrium?" Nope. They were eliminated altogether.

The correction has not started because supply hasn't dropped yet (numerator isn't decreasing since there are still 15,000 new grads per year) and the denominator of total pharmacist jobs is decreasing every day due to automation, so that number has not flattened out yet. This is very different from law schools where the number of lawyer jobs have stayed consistent despite oversaturation of students (change in numerator only). Do you think Blockbusters jobs reached "equilibrium?" Nope. They were eliminated altogether.

If pharmacy is going the way of blockbusters then why does it matter if more people are going into pharmacy? Your job will be gone regardless.

If pharmacy is going the way of blockbusters then why does it matter if more people are going into pharmacy? Your job will be gone regardless.
I don't understand your question. It doesn't matter if people are going into pharmacy or not because your job will be gone regardless. Even if there were a 90% reduction in demand and pharmacy schools graduated 1,500 students a year that's 1,500 too many pharmacists for a negative job growth market. So it just proves the point that regardless of the situation/how much competition there is, you shouldn't go into pharmacy.

I don't understand your question. It doesn't matter if people are going into pharmacy or not because your job will be gone regardless. Even if there were a 90% reduction in demand and pharmacy schools graduated 1,500 students a year that's 1,500 too many pharmacists for a negative job growth market. So it just proves the point that regardless of the situation/how much competition there is, you shouldn't go into pharmacy.

Are you also telling people to avoid history, drama, and a billion other useless degrees?

If you believe in what you are saying and pharmacist job will be gone regardless there is 1,500 or 15,000 graduates, then what are you trying to achieve? Everyone already knows there is a saturation.

Are you also telling people to avoid history, drama, and a billion other useless degrees?

That is a weird bit of whataboutism. This isn't a history, drama, or a billion other useless degree forum.

The fact that there are other useless degrees doesn't make pharmacy a good major.

I think the solution is for OP to come up with tactics and keep trying different approaches to convince his parents that pharmacy is a dead field and let him switch to something else. Asians are generally very passive aggressive and non-confrontational, so it's very likely that OP never had a serious career discussion with his parents until late into college (in the meantime, his parents were just assuming things). So up to OP to change their minds about it.

OP needs to ask some pharmacists in retail and to see how the job market is like. And get a intern job in a hospital or retail to see how the job market is like. OP should write notes during then conversation. And that method should convince his parents.

If parents still not convinced, he should have his father and mother face to face with busy retail pharmacist, and OP should ask the pharmacist to put some sense into his parents.

If you believe in what you are saying and pharmacist job will be gone regardless there is 1,500 or 15,000 graduates, then what are you trying to achieve? Everyone already knows there is a saturation.
Have to compare apples to apples. There aren't 15,000 doctorate-level history or art majors graduating each year so there is crowd control in those disciplines. Undergrads? Maybe. But jobs in those industries still exist despite saturation. For pharmacy it's the exact opposite.

That is a weird bit of whataboutism. This isn't a history, drama, or a billion other useless degree forum.

The fact that there are other useless degrees doesn't make pharmacy a good major.

You are picking from the bottom of the barrel. You think these people have the opportunity to med school or even nursing? It is pharmacy school or being a tech for the next 20 years. The former is still much better than the latter.

If you can get into medical school I'm sure the parents won't mind the switch. If that's not feasible then finish the pharmd unless you're prepared to go solo and a hard life pursuing your passion.

Finding and keeping a job after graduation is another matter altogether, but at least you'll be debt free with an opportunity to find a pharmacist job, however temporary, to pay the bills while planning your next move.

If you're feeling gutsy then prepare to move out, take loans and join a coding bootcamp or go back to school for a BS CS degree. You'll be on your own though, too much pressure and risk for me personally. Mad respect if you can manage to pull off such a feat.

Have to compare apples to apples. There aren't 15,000 doctorate-level history or art majors graduating each year so there is crowd control in those disciplines. Undergrads? Maybe. But jobs in those industries still exist despite saturation. For pharmacy it's the exact opposite.

You kidding right? There are plenty of useless graduate degrees. Some graduate schools are even easier to get accepted than undergraduate. Obviously also plenty of useless degrees in undergraduate. You know how many people graduate with a useless bio degree each year? It is grad school or clean rodent cages.

Last edited:
You are picking from the bottom of the barrel. You think these people have the opportunity to med school or even nursing? It is pharmacy school or being a tech for the next 20 years. The former is much better than the latter.

And this is what’s known as a false dichotomy. There are undoubtably hundreds if not thousands of other jobs besides technician or pharmacist.

In fact the number of technicians I know who have made the leap to pharmacist can be counted on one hand.

Pharmacy is health care job, responsible for patient care. Last time I checked history and drama are not involved with patient care.

There are also plenty of smart liberal arts degree majors that went on to do medicine

You are picking from the bottom of the barrel. You think these people have the opportunity to med school or even nursing? It is pharmacy school or being a tech for the next 20 years. The former is still much better than the latter.
That is a very close-minded perspective. If you want to work in the field of pharmaceuticals and not do a PharmD or other advanced degree then there are plenty of careers that don't involve becoming a pharmacy technician, such as working as a research assistant for a drug company, being a drug courier and becoming a lab technician for a hospital, to name a few -- all of which are better paying jobs than a pharmacy tech. So the thinking that "I will be stuck as a tech if I don't do a PharmD" is a loser's mentality.

Pharmacy is health care job, responsible for patient care. Last time I checked history and drama are not involved with patient care

There is why there is board exam (hopefully no one will cheat).

That is a very close-minded perspective. If you want to work in the field of pharmaceuticals and not do a PharmD or other advanced degree then there are plenty of careers that don't involve becoming a pharmacy technician, such as working as a research assistant for a drug company, being a drug courier and becoming a lab technician for a hospital, to name a few -- all of which are better paying jobs than a pharmacy tech. So the thinking that "I will be stuck as a tech if I don't do a PharmD" is a loser's mentality.

It is a nature progression. You think a dental assistant doesnt think about becoming a dentist?

You kidding right? There are plenty of useless graduate degrees. Some graduate schools are even easier to get accepted than undergraduate. Obviously also plenty of useless degrees in undergraduate. You know how many people graduate with a useless bio degree each year? It is grad school or clean rodent cages.
Comparing PharmD job opportunities to undergrad bio or undergrad art/history opportunities is comparing apples to oranges because you need to compare job opportunities for a PharmD with job opportunities for a PhD in bio, history or art, otherwise you are effectively saying that a PharmD is an undergrad degree if you are comparing PharmD to undergrad.

At this point, you have a better chance at getting a job as a PhD in Art or History than getting a PharmD, because at the very MINIMUM with the PhD degrees you can simply be a permanent post-doc researcher making $30-50k/year, whereas for a PharmD it's job or no job and no in-between.

I am not passionate about the retail setting at all. With the market saturation of graduating pharm students, most of the jobs are going to be in retail.

There are so many jobless graduates right now, you don't even know. Grads begging for hours. If you are in the market, you should have access to plenty of Dr Pill Counters your parents can talk to. You don't want to be a Dr that counts pills all day and asks if customers 'want a flu shot' with their order. Retail is is like fast food, there is no glory or honor or patient care. Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise, they are flat out lying to save face that they are just a pill counter.

If you are going into health care, be a REAL Dr, not a pill counter.

That is right! So lets all sit back, watch the fat cats profit off students and wages fall to $30!

It is a nature progression. You think a dental assistant doesnt think about becoming a dentist?
Funny you use that example because I was a dental assistant in high school/college and I was doing it because I was "pre-health" at the time and just exploring different options. So yes, I think that not all dental assistants think about becoming dentists. And the majority of them who do it for several years are career assistants who don't want to go through that extra schooling to become dentists.

This guy is almighty now. Let me ask you something..if you are so smart why did you choose pharmacy? You didn’t see the saturation coming?
I got in when the going was good and graduated long ago. New grads are playing by a new set of standards now. The field has changed dramatically and new grads have an extremely limited perspective on this.

What year did you enter pharmacy school? Let’s see how smart you really are.
I'm not going to entertain a troll who can't make coherent arguments. But I haven't needed to look for a job for years now so I have no incentive to promote or disparage the profession for personal gain because I'm not actively looking. And obviously I don't work retail.

Why are you so vague? I can sense the desperation in your posts.

Probably graduated in 2015. He is now so worried about putting food on the table. I bet he is also deep in student loan debt. You didn’t see the saturation then or maybe you didn’t have any other good option?
Someone ban this troll already. I'm not the one complaining about lack of jobs, so stop putting words in my mouth. Where did I raise a personal complaint about saturation/not getting a job? I'll be waiting for your response (which you won't find). *Yawn* these foreign grads are terrible, but such is to be expected when you only need to have a pulse and $200k loan eligibility to become a "pharmacist" these days.

Why are you so vague? I can sense the desperation in your posts.

Probably graduated in 2015. He is now so worried about putting food on the table. I bet he is also deep in student loan debt. You didn’t see the saturation then or maybe you didn’t have any other good option?
You can go to school, get a good job and be fully convinced that nobody should go into pharmacy. You don't seem to understand this. You're the one with the desperate, baseless attacks. None of what you said in this entire thread makes sense. Are you arguing that I'm a hypocrite because I went to pharmacy school 10+ years ago and am now telling pre-pharms not to go to school? There is no hypocrisy there. Like I said, I am not a new grad nor am I looking for a job so I can freely post anything on this sub.