• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

LoLCareerGoals

5+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Would you say those are intended for someone already familiar with the premed carriculum?
I am a non-trad EE so I am missing 2 bios, 2nd gen chem and 2 organics. I also haven't opened a physics or chemistry book in 10 years.
Can I start this as a self study before completing the coursework or would I be better off going through relevant textbooks first? I don't really have an opportunity to start pre-reqs now.

Thanks.

EnginrTheFuture

Nov 22, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
By "missing 2 bios, etc." do you mean you haven't taken all those pre-reqs? If so, there is really no reason to start studying for the MCAT or even take the MCAT with that much left to start/finish.

The best way to study for the mcat is to rock the classes first. Honestly, you could teach yourself everything you need through the materials in SDN2ed schedule but you would need a LOT of time (easily 7 months full time). We are talking learning for the first time 2-3 semesters of biology/biochem/genetics, 1-2 semesters of general chem, 2 semesters of orgo and 2 semesters of physics. That schedule is for content review, not content learning and mastering. That's what the classroom is for. The material could be used for that purpose and they assume you know nothing. They would make pretty damn great books for a college course in my opinion, but you would need the time of a college course to learn it despite the book you teach with.

As a fellow engineer (nuclear engineer), I can say this test material is prettttttyyy surface and is really basic science. It isn't hard stuff by any means. There is no calc, no stats, no deep analysis... But getting to the level where you can apply these simple concepts, decipher convoluted passages, look through strangely worded questions and pick "best answers" whilst doing it at an abnormal pace...it takes quite a bit of work on top of the first time learning it.

I would take one step at a time and get your courses done with. The MCAT and applications should be kept in mind, but as you know you have a long road ahead of you. Baby steps my man, baby steps.

LoLCareerGoals

5+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Thanks, that's sort of what I expected.

I am out of the country and will be for another year, so I can't start the pre-reqs but would like to do something useful during this period.

I plan to go through these on my own over maybe 6-8 month period, then start the 4 month version of the sticky in this forum:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
University Physics with Modern Physics (12th Edition)
Biochemistry (Biochemistry (Berg))
Organic Chemistry (7th Edition) Leroy G. Wade
Chemistry: The Central Science 10th Edition
Biology, 7th Edition (Book & CD-ROM) Neil A. Campbell, Jane B. Reece
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Should these cover all the relevant material and prep for SN2's plan?

Thanks for the responses.

About the Ads

SH3

Oct 4, 2011
Nashville, TN
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Thanks, that's sort of what I expected.

I am out of the country and will be for another year, so I can't start the pre-reqs but would like to do something useful during this period.

I plan to go through these on my own over maybe 6-8 month period, then start the 4 month version of the sticky in this forum:
University Physics with Modern Physics (12th Edition)
Biochemistry (Biochemistry (Berg))
Organic Chemistry (7th Edition) Leroy G. Wade
Chemistry: The Central Science 10th Edition
Biology, 7th Edition (Book & CD-ROM) Neil A. Campbell, Jane B. Reece
Should these cover all the relevant material and prep for SN2's plan?

Thanks for the responses.

You're taking on a monumental task. Be weary of your decision; make sure you are taking this seriously. I've studied from that Organic Book and it dives much deeper into content than you'll need for the MCAT (as most textbooks do). Realize teaching yourself this material will not be easy and that you would be better off taking a prep course or having someone you could consult on concepts you may not fully grasp when you decide to prepare for the MCAT.

LoLCareerGoals

5+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Thanks SH3!
Now that's a post that's actually useful. If you are saying going through textbooks is an overkill for MCAT, would you then advice that I simply dive into the 3/4 month plans and simply turn them into 6/8 month versions given that I would be learning the material and not reviewing?
Prep courses are not an option where I am currently at.

Myro

Removed
Apr 28, 2012
Status (Visible)
I don't get it. What is so hard about taking your prereqs first, and then taking the MCAT after your prereqs? Why would you take the mcat without taking them first?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.