Dec 26, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Has anyone gotten into med school from being suspended due to drinking violations? I have a personal specific story which you can PM for more insight

Jun 21, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If you go to the forum list, there is a confidential consult section -- not as highly frequented, but when people do post, they tend to be quite thorough and take the issue more seriously. You and the respondents can post through the moderator so everybody can remain anonymous while still putting the discussion out there for others to benefit from and to add responses to if they feel you're being ill advised.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reckoner
Oct 24, 2011
Philadelphia
Status
Medical Student
If you bring up the violation somewhere in your application and show how you matured from the situation, then you should be fine (especially if you have done well in academics and EC's since).

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
If you have been suspended from school this constitutes an "institutional action" and you must disclose it in the section of the application for "institutional action". Now, either you were doing something really serious (like operating a still in your dorm room and selling your product) or you go to a really strict religious school that forbids drinking, dancing and card playing (and no sex, it could lead to dancing) to get SUSPENDED rather than just written up and given a slap on the wrist. Anyway, I've not seen alcohol infractions lead to an application being scrapped so you should be ok .

rkmauria

5+ Year Member
May 13, 2012
Status
I was charged with underage drinking and fake id, which resulted in an institutional action from the university and I still got accepted.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
100% concur with my learned colleague.

But if it happens again, your medical career is over.

If you have been suspended from school this constitutes an "institutional action" and you must disclose it in the section of the application for "institutional action". Now, either you were doing something really serious (like operating a still in your dorm room and selling your product) or you go to a really strict religious school that forbids drinking, dancing and card playing (and no sex, it could lead to dancing) to get SUSPENDED rather than just written up and given a slap on the wrist. Anyway, I've not seen alcohol infractions lead to an application being scrapped so you should be ok .

Oct 28, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Status
Pre-Medical
I'd guess that an isolated incident should be fine, assuming it was like what was mentioned above (fake id, etc.)... hard to tell how "severe" this was without more details, which you may not want to divulge on here.

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
My concern is with the term "suspended". To me that suggests being separated from the university for a finite period of time for serious issues with behavior or academic performance. From what I've seen, most alcohol violations result in a note in one's file and a requirement to attend an education session or otherwise learn from the mistake. Getting suspended seems to suggest something far more serious was going on than booze in one's room or a fake ID.

Oct 28, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Status
Pre-Medical
My concern is with the term "suspended". To me that suggests being separated from the university for a finite period of time for serious issues with behavior or academic performance. From what I've seen, most alcohol violations result in a note in one's file and a requirement to attend an education session or otherwise learn from the mistake. Getting suspended seems to suggest something far more serious was going on than booze in one's room or a fake ID.
Yeah agreed, people I heard about being suspended for something were usually doing something pretty serious.

Dec 4, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I have an IA that resulted in a suspension. I've had a few interviews, it came up in one of them, haven't gotten in anywhere yet though.

BlueLabel

5+ Year Member
May 6, 2012
Texas
Status
Medical Student
What about brunch? Is that forbidden too?

V

5+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2013
Would a letter of recommendation from the person who suspended you be of any merit when this sort of thing is brought up? The LOR could talk about rehab and/or your effort to become a better person and maintain sobriety. How would this be viewed from adcoms?

xffan624

5+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
What about a DUI? Do you have to disclose those on apps and will it affect things?
If convicted, yes. and yes it will certainly be a major red flag on your application, but it is not impossible to overcome. I know a friend with one who is currently in medical school. PM if you want more information.