still able to take MCAT on paper???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

simbalimba

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I wanted to know if anyone else has the same problem as me, when I concentrate hard on reading something on the computer I start to get a headache and the words start getting blurry. I wanted to know if there was a way to still ask for permission to take the test on paper??

Disinence2

Emergency Medicine
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
havent done much research, but im fairly certian u could have to have more of a reason than the computer gives you headaches. Maybe if it gives you siezures they would consider and exception...

kerplunk112

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
im sure they make exceptions...i would def get a doctor on my side before pursuing anything

phospho

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hmm, what if we just prefer taking the paper one? I hate this computer-based crap... I'd rather write on the questions themselves, cross out the wrong answers, etc...

I'm trying to look for anything that talks about the requirements/options, but I can't find anything...:rolleyes:

Funky

This space is for sale
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to know if anyone else has the same problem as me, when I concentrate hard on reading something on the computer I start to get a headache and the words start getting blurry. I wanted to know if there was a way to still ask for permission to take the test on paper??
to my knowledge they don't administer paper exams for the MCAT. I dont even think GREs which are all computerized allows paper exams. Does anybody know anything about this?

phospho

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
to my knowledge they don't administer paper exams for the MCAT. I dont even think GREs which are all computerized allows paper exams. Does anybody know anything about this?

At the transitional FAQS on their website, they're saying:

Will the paper format of the MCAT be available in 2007?
No. With full implementation of the computerized MCAT in 2007, paper MCAT administrations will be discontinued.
http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/transitionfaq.htm#7

Although it does seem like a straight forward response from them, I can't help but wonder what they have as backup options for potential test takers with major disabilities pertaining to the computerized version.

HippocratesX

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What kind of major disabilities can you have that would not allow you to take a test on computer? ANd would this major disability even allow you to function as a competent physician, if you could not use computers? I am asking because I am curious, I just want to know, so don't flame me please...

noshie

Don't judge!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What kind of major disabilities can you have that would not allow you to take a test on computer? ANd would this major disability even allow you to function as a competent physician, if you could not use computers? I am asking because I am curious, I just want to know, so don't flame me please...

I know it sucks taking the MCAT on the computer. There are many advantages though, like shorter test time, going at your own pace etc. I agree with Hippocrates, How can you not be comfortable in front of the computer? I mean, most of us taking the MCAT are in our 20's, we have worked with them our whole lives! I have not taken the CBT MCAT, but I have taken the GRE on the computer, and it was about 3 hours. I actually enjoyed working at my own pace, and it was not as bad as I thought with the passages. The writing section was definatly better. Anyways, It all depends on the amount of scrolling involved in the questions and passage. I think that eventually, after the shock of change has worn off, people will enjoy taking the MCAT on the computer. Trust me, I HATE change. I am one of those people that likes to be set in my ways. So if I can accept it, anyone can.