EmanUT

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2006
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I do not understand the connection between the score and the percentile on the DAT. Let's look at what someone posted recently. On the PAT, they got a 19 (78.6%). When I took the DAT in June, I got a 19 PAT and it said 91%. How is this possible? Will the dental schools see the percentiles along with the score? I have been told they DO NOT, so how is this fair? We both have the same score (19), but our percentiles are VERY different. Any explanations?

tinman831

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2004
Texas
Status
Dentist
EmanUT said:
I do not understand the connection between the score and the percentile on the DAT. Let's look at what someone posted recently. On the PAT, they got a 19 (78.6%). When I took the DAT in June, I got a 19 PAT and it said 91%. How is this possible? Will the dental schools see the percentiles along with the score? I have been told they DO NOT, so how is this fair? We both have the same score (19), but our percentiles are VERY different. Any explanations?
Dental schools don't look at percentiles. Percentiles are based on how well you do relative to other test takers that day.

whiskeysour

up'n the competition
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2006
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
tinman831 said:
Dental schools don't look at percentiles. Percentiles are based on how well you do relative to other test takers that day.
where do you get this information froM?? TRUE dental schools don't look at the percentiles.... FALSE they are relative to other test takers that day. if you were the first person to finish the DAT for that day, then whose scores are they relative to?

OP, i think that the percentile is based on how well you did compared to others that got the same type of questions. the question bank is massive...some questions are obviously easier than others. to combat this, a percentile is based on how you did relative to how others have done on the same questions in the past. then a score is assessed based on that. for example, if you miss 5 questions on bio and your question set was relatively difficult then your score will be higher than someone who missed 5 questions from a relatively easy question set. the difficulty of the question set is based on how others have done in the past on the same type of questions.

i hope that made sense. bottom line, DAT scores are fair & don't feel cheated if your got a higher percentile with a lower score--there is nothing you can do about it.

WS :)

DMDorDDS

10+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
I dont think they have a massive vault of questions....
then my friend and I would have never taken the same test...

one of my friend and I took the DAT on the same day... and we had the identical test... a person who posted some questions couple days prior... I think he had the same test as us as well... because the questions were the same...

my friend and I had the exactly the same test... in every section was identical... order and everything...

so I think they just have set number of exams and thats it...

SgtSadhu

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
whatever it is, we'll probably not know. I got a 21 and my percentil was a 92

and my buddy got a 21 and his was a 96 go figure

they dont look at percentiles so its all good