Still curious :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which program would you choose if you were me?

• Rens Polytechnic Inst/Albany Medical College (NY)

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Union College/Albany Medical College (NY)

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Virginia Commonwealth University/VCU School of Medicine

Votes: 23 30.3%
  • University of Cincinnati/University of Cin College of Medicine

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • Miami of OH/U of Cin COM

Votes: 16 21.1%
  • U of Southern Indiana/Indiana University SOM

Votes: 7 9.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

waterplove

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks to those who responded to my other thread. I'm curious to hear from everyone who reads this one. Please vote. Thanks!

7yr NO MCAT BS/MD, 2 summers for research: Rens Polytechnic Inst/Albany Medical College
8yr NO MCAT BS/MD/MBA, 3 summers: Union College/Albany Medical College
8yr NO MCAT BS/MD/option to apply out without loosing spot: Virginia Commonwealth University/VCU School of Medicine
8yr YES MCAT (27) BS/MD/option to apply out without loosing spot: University of Cincinnati/University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
8yr YES MCAT (27) BS/MD/option to apply out without loosing spot: Miami University (OH)/University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
8yr YES MCAT (~31) BS/MD: University of Southern Indiana/Indiana University School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Go 4 year BS/BA ... have fun in college...

Members don't see this ad :)
none of the above

None of the med schools are particularly great; if you're smart enough to get into a BS/MD program, you'll be smart enough to get into a top 20 program. Go with one that allows you to apply to other medical schools, and one that isn't so difficult that you won't be able to have a social and extra-curricular life.

I'd do VCU with the caveat that I'd strive to treat my undergrad like I'm still considering trying to be the best I could be and have fun at the same time so if I choose to apply out the option is still there.

VCU is good because it is one of the better schools on your list of schools, there is no required MCAT cutoff yet if you do extremely well and maintain great ECs you'll still have the shot to apply out. So it a win win situation either way.

Furthermore, since it is an 8 year program, you still have 4 years of college to live the college life and do great things as far as ECs go as well have time to have a life and go out and have fun and make friends.

either virginia, cincinatti, or miami.

I'd do VCU with the caveat that I'd strive to treat my undergrad like I'm still considering trying to be the best I could be and have fun at the same time so if I choose to apply out the option is still there.

VCU is good because it is one of the better schools on your list of schools, there is no required MCAT cutoff yet if you do extremely well and maintain great ECs you'll still have the shot to apply out. So it a win win situation either way.

Furthermore, since it is an 8 year program, you still have 4 years of college to live the college life and do great things as far as ECs go as well have time to have a life and go out and have fun and make friends.

that was exactly my reasoning when I made the decision to attend the program, and so far I've been happy with it.

one more to add:

(this is the last program I can possibly hear back from)

YES MCAT (28) 7/8yrs U of Miami HPM/ U of Miami Miller SOM

Does anyone have any thoughts about U of Miami Miller?

have you been accepted to all of these, or what? if not, what's the point in asking?

one more to add:

(this is the last program I can possibly hear back from)

YES MCAT (28) 7/8yrs U of Miami HPM/ U of Miami Miller SOM

I still say do the whole VCU program. Again, my reasoning is as follows:

1. You are not required to achieve any particular score.
2. If you do achieve a great score which I'd still strive for, you still can opt out of the program.
3. Since its 4 years undergrad, you still get to experience the undergrad experience of making friends, having good times, going out and doing the typical college things. you also have the opportunity to finish what you need and take some fun classes like dance or sports or art or something that interests you.

Again, win win situation either way with VCU.

A friend of mine did 4+4 at USF and I'm willing to bet the best class she'd consider from undergrad was not the science stuff but the swing dance class she took in senior year because she was given the opportunity to take some fun classes. That has turned into both a passion and form of stress relief for her in med school. She goes religiously on every sunday evening to the swing club except preexam weekends. You do a 4+4 program and you'll have a chance to use senior year for more fun and entertaining classes and making college last so that you don't look back and wonder if you gave up your one chance to take classes besides med school stuff.

Miami in Oxford Ohio is a great college experience :thumbup:

have you been accepted to all of these, or what? if not, what's the point in asking?

I have been accepted to all of these. I went through the interview process, et all. I just need to choose one...sooon....

I like the Univ. of Miami (FL) option a lot, but the MCAT requirement makes me want to say go VCU.

I like the Univ. of Miami (FL) option a lot, but the MCAT requirement makes me want to say go VCU.

Yah if they were still less strict on the MCAT requirement like they used to be then Miami Miller for sure. however, since that's not the case I'd go with VCU. that sounds like the best in my opinion.

I have been accepted to all of these. I went through the interview process, et all. I just need to choose one...sooon....

in that case, i vote VCU... i especially like the opportunity to apply out. i have a HS friend who went to the USC/Keck program and is applying out.