Still doing secondary's...am I too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lll505

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it is just way too late in the cycle? I am trying to finish up 6 this week. I had no idea about the timing of everything b/c I had no premed advisor and chose to go to Costa Rica at the wrong time.

:(

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Anyone else still doing secondaries or am I just the biggest lagger ever??

Members don't see this ad.

It is definitely not too late. I'm in the same boat with you, receiving and returning secondaries. I had to wait to get an LOR from a much needed EC. We may have to compete with a larger applicant pool at schools with rolling admissions, but that's not too bad.

What I've found is that most people that post on this forum are on top of things and have gotten their applications in very early. However, it is not necessarily a true representation of the overall applicant pool.

Good Luck!

not too late because i haven't finished all my secondaries either....

Members don't see this ad :)
You all can do what I did--I sent in the applications even though I was still waiting on one letter. In SOME cases the review of your secondary may begin and decisions will wait until the letters come in ;)

So glad someone posted one of these threads, 'cause it's good motivation for me to finish the last 4 for the schools @ the bottom of my list, which ironically are the biggest pain in the butt w/ silly repetitive essay questions--i.e. UConn, USC, Loma Linda (can anyone commiserate?)

After doing 18, it's hard to get psyched to do these . . . but who knows, I could end up @ one of these schools, so I better get busy. Also, I made up my mind to send back 2ndaries for all my schools, since I already gave aamc my hard-earned $30.

you should focus on getting them ALL in, as quickly as possible. It's actually better to do a decent job and get them out QUICK than to do a GREAT job and wait until say December. The committees just won't look at stuff until it's all compiled, and sometimes they don't look at it until after the interview (they just check AMCAS first, personal statements, recs, and EC) ... but the point remains if you get it in late, then you are risking someone just tossing the app because they look at about 5000 and why should they give you the same treatment when you are late? Get S@#t in is my point! I'm looking out for you all, my boyz and girlz.

Gumshoe

Just what I needed, Gumshoe. Time for me to get off my rear and get these done! Look out Keck (among others:), here I come!!!!!!

Dude, I did the same thing. I chose to go to Asia at the beginning of May, and I got back about a month ago. So I bet we are in the same boat. I am still doing secondairies, too, and I just got invited to my first interview! I often feel ridiculously behid the game, and I wish I already had multiple acceptances like some people on this site, but what can you do? I had an amazig time in Asia, and I bet you had a great experience in Costa Rica. I would say that is worth a little stress now, especially if it does not take us out of the game. Just keep going, it feels great to press the submit button on those secondaries.

So glad someone posted one of these threads, 'cause it's good motivation for me to finish the last 4 for the schools @ the bottom of my list, which ironically are the biggest pain in the butt w/ silly repetitive essay questions--i.e. UConn, USC, Loma Linda (can anyone commiserate?)

Yeah! I totally blame UConn for the delay in completing all my other secondaries. It was the first secondary I got and it took me forever to finish it....

I, too, have saved the worst for last. Makes it a little tricky to get fired up to finish em, huh?

Alrighty, back to work!

Originally posted by Nefertari
...the schools @ the bottom of my list, which ironically are the biggest pain in the butt w/ silly repetitive essay questions--i.e. UConn...

If you don't want it don't apply.

Christ almighty, think about us in-staters who applied there last year early decision, got deferred, waitlisted, rejected, then applied again becuase they want it so bad. If you don't want it for Christ's sake don't apply...God forbid, who knows, you might "end up @ one of these schools".

i still have ucla, temple, pitts, usc secondaries to do ....

Originally posted by wallie
Yeah! I totally blame UConn for the delay in completing all my other secondaries. It was the first secondary I got and it took me forever to finish it....

I, too, have saved the worst for last. Makes it a little tricky to get fired up to finish em, huh?

Alrighty, back to work!
Thanks, wallie! I feel validated! I'm working on UConn right now & just gave myself a time limit of the next 2 1/2 hours to finish so that I can run to the PO before closing & be rid of it! Back to work for me too . . .

Christ almighty, think about us in-staters who applied there last year early decision, got deferred, waitlisted, rejected, then applied again becuase they want it so bad. If you don't want it for Christ's sake don't apply...God forbid, who knows, you might "end up @ one of these schools".

Sham, no need to get hostile. I had no intention of stepping on anyone's toes. Each of us has reasons for app to certain schools. I'm sure there are schools @ the bottom of your list also--are you not going to apply to them so that others can have a chance? It's just all part of this crazy process. The purpose of this thread is to release some stress, not to cause more!

Btw, i sincerely wish you the best w/ your reapplication this year. Congrats on your interviews so far. Please, no ugly feelings. ;)

Nefertari,

There are no schools at the bottom of my list, only schools on top. As a reapplicant, I have a newfound respect for medical school admissions. You have no idea how elated I will be if and when I am accepted to any I repeat any US allopathic medical school..be it this year, be it next.

And I cannot conceive not truly wanting to go to any medical school. There is no bottom to my med school wish-list.

:D that's a contrived smile. I'm not really happy.

Thanks for attempting to keep the peace anyway.

Originally posted by shamthis
Nefertari,

There are no schools at the bottom of my list, only schools on top. As a reapplicant, I have a newfound respect for medical school admissions. You have no idea how elated I will be if and when I am accepted to any I repeat any US allopathic medical school..be it this year, be it next.

And I cannot conceive not truly wanting to go to any medical school. There is no bottom to my med school wish-list.

:D that's a contrived smile. I'm not really happy.

Thanks for attempting to keep the peace anyway.

I totally acknowledge your frustration & I would be ecstatic for even 1 acceptance anywhere. I have some friends who have had to reapply.

However, as a non-trad, the ranking of my list is based more on potential family considerations. I'm also trying to prepare myself for the possibility of reapplying next year. Hopefully, you'll feel more like this :) once the acceptances come in! Believe me, it'll feel great to let go of the resentment & frustrations.

You're not too late with your secondaries, but it IS getting late! I agree with the above poster about sending in good essays ASAP rather than sending in an excellent essay later. At this stage in the application process, many secondary deadlines are quickly approaching or have already passed. You'd be surprised to learn that many schools are currently scheduling interviews now for late winter/early spring. And with fewer slots left for interviews as the season progress, schools can definitely be more selective in who they invite to interview. I applied pretty late in the application process (August MCAT, AMCAS submission last week of September, all secondaries completed by the middle of November). I know that put me out of the running for a few schools with rolling admissions. But then again, you'll probably be fine. Even with my late application, I had my first acceptance before Christmas :D.

Just do the best you can, set time limits for each secondary, and get them out pronto!

Good Luck!

Thanks for the encouragement - I really needed a kick in the a**!
I only have one more left -UCSD. I just can't seem to motivate to write my autobiography, esp. since I feel like I already did that in my personal statement.

yay, just mailed in all my final batch of secondaries this afternoon!
feel so light and happy . ..
except for this nasty biochem test tommorrow :rolleyes:
good luck to everyone else! :)

Originally posted by care bear
yay, just mailed in all my final batch of secondaries this afternoon!
feel so light and happy . ..
except for this nasty biochem test tommorrow :rolleyes:
good luck to everyone else! :)
Congrats, care bear! I've got 2 more to finish--can't wait for that light & happy feeling myself. G'luck on biochem!

Originally posted by wallie

Amen to that!!! It was the worst! But I love UConn, so I can forgive them...

Yeah, I'm trying to send out five this week. That will leave me three more to do. Yay!

I am "supposedly" sending out 7 this week....it's on the list at least!;)

Hey ubiquitous,
I'm in the same boat. Just out of curiosity how were your numbers? Where did you get in?
Don't fret everybody else - there are tons of us out there who are still working on secondaries (blah!)