Still have a chance for Pre-med or did I mess up too much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Akiran

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN,

So I'm completely torn after this semester. I'm a sophomore taking 16 credits, but I will probably only have an A for 6 of them. Definite B for one 3 cred class, might get a A in 4 credit bio depending on the curve, and either a D or a C in Orgo 2 (3 creds) :(

Freshmen Year GPA: 3.66 (4.0 spring semester)
Last Semester GPA: 3.68
This Semester:....prob 3.0

Im planning on taking a 3 cred bio and retaking Orgo 2 over summer. I know I can get A's because this year's faults weren't about the concepts being difficult. Everything I managed to do I completely understood and nailed on exams. Unfortunately, I had to deal with a serious stomach flu, torn meniscus, and serious family problems (deaths, divorces, etc) with my parents. I'm also a commuter so that kinda sucks since I'm pretty much directly involved with everything :(

In terms of how hard I've applied myself so far, Im at like 60%. I KNOW I can do better but idk if I still even have a chance. According to my GPA calculations, if I 4.0 the next 2 years, I can finish with ~3.8 overall gpa and a ~3.65 science GPA. Am I pretty much screwed for MD? No particular issues with DO, but I live in Maryland I have none instate =/

I'm probably going to take the new 2015 MCATs at the beginning of senior year fall (taking a gap year). My extracurriculars aren't the best but I'm already looking to improve that asap. Got a new volunteering position at a local hospital and am looking around for research.

Are my hopes of getting accepted to an MD school over? I just don't know what to do because I'm so disappointed in myself and its so difficult to focus at home. I think I just need to go to the library and shut myself out from everything whenever I study so I can truly focus.

:(

Members don't see this ad.

Hey SDN,

So I'm completely torn after this semester. I'm a sophomore taking 16 credits, but I will probably only have an A for 6 of them. Definite B for one 3 cred class, might get a A in 4 credit bio depending on the curve, and either a D or a C in Orgo 2 (3 creds) :(

Freshmen Year GPA: 3.66 (4.0 spring semester)
Last Semester GPA: 3.68
This Semester:....prob 3.0

Im planning on taking a 3 cred bio and retaking Orgo 2 over summer. I know I can get A's because this year's faults weren't about the concepts being difficult. Everything I managed to do I completely understood and nailed on exams. Unfortunately, I had to deal with a serious stomach flu, torn meniscus, and serious family problems (deaths, divorces, etc) with my parents. I'm also a commuter so that kinda sucks since I'm pretty much directly involved with everything :(

In terms of how hard I've applied myself so far, Im at like 60%. I KNOW I can do better but idk if I still even have a chance. According to my GPA calculations, if I 4.0 the next 2 years, I can finish with ~3.8 overall gpa and a ~3.65 science GPA. Am I pretty much screwed for MD? No particular issues with DO, but I live in Maryland I have none instate =/

I'm probably going to take the new 2015 MCATs at the beginning of senior year fall (taking a gap year). My extracurriculars aren't the best but I'm already looking to improve that asap. Got a new volunteering position at a local hospital and am looking around for research.

Are my hopes of getting accepted to an MD school over? I just don't know what to do because I'm so disappointed in myself and its so difficult to focus at home. I think I just need to go to the library and shut myself out from everything whenever I study so I can truly focus.

:(

Not over by a long shot. If anything, your DO chances are still very alive and well. Think of it this way: if you get a 3.0 semester and a 4.0 semester, that's a 3.5 year; very respectable for DO schools.

That said, most people don't change that drastically. I see a downward trend in your GPA, and I think something is causing this. I don't know what, but I suggest you figure that out.

Your last sentence speaks worlds to me. I had a lot of problems studying at home as well and was a star student overnight when I switched to studying outside of my home.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not over by a long shot. If anything, your DO chances are still very alive and well. Think of it this way: if you get a 3.0 semester and a 4.0 semester, that's a 3.5 year; very respectable for DO schools.

That said, most people don't change that drastically. I see a downward trend in your GPA, and I think something is causing this. I don't know what, but I suggest you figure that out.

Your last sentence speaks worlds to me. I had a lot of problems studying at home as well and was a star student overnight when I switched to studying outside of my home.

Honestly, I never feel like I dealt with anything that was really out of my capabilities. I haven't really come across any concepts I don't understand, I just haven't been able to put forth effort because of everything going on. Did going to the library instead of home really make that much of a difference for you?? I'm definitely going to do that this summer and see how everything turns out

No
Am I pretty much screwed for MD?

Next door are PCOM, VCOM, and WVCOM
No particular issues with DO, but I live in Maryland I have none instate

No, but you're going to need to develop good coping and time mgt skills, which are crucial for success in medical school.
Get help with your deficits.
And remember, if you want to be a doctor, you're going to have to earn it. So drop this "I applied myself 60%" crap.

Reactions: 2 users
You have plenty of time to bring your GPA up. Just really buckle down and have a laser-focused goal to earn mostly A's. Do well on your MCAT, build strong relationships with mentors for LORs, work on your ECs (might consider taking a gap year to pursue interesting EC work). All is not lost!