Still have a couple years but what are my chances as of now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bumbel10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently about to enter my 4th year of undergrad (i will end up going 5 years because of transferring). I have about a 3.42 cGPA and 3.35sGPA with an upward trend thus far. My GPA took a hit my 2nd year at Ohio State University thanks to a couple C-'s in Calc 2 and Gen Chem 3, but other than that i have done well. I expect to do well this next year so hopefully i could bump my cGPA up and over 3.5. From this past summer, i have a little over 160 hours of volunteering with a DO (I took BPs, vitals, temps, and aided in minor procedures). Also, i was able to shadow the same family physician throughout the summer and gain around 150 hours of shadowing. Last summer i shadowed a physician assistant -- to really learn what differentiates them from physicians -- as well as volunteered at a nursing home for probably around 20 hours....also, i am an Ohio resident.

I am a member of a few clubs at school as well as a captain on the varsity basketball team. During the summer, or when i can get home for a weekend, i work full time at a butcher shop.

I plan on taking the MCAT next summer and applying to schools before my "senior" year. If that does not work out, i will improve my stats and for sure apply early the following summer.

I know my GPA needs to improve along with increasing my volunteer hours and scoring high on the MCAT. But as of now, what are my chances for MD or DO? And what areas must i really stress to improve?

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently about to enter my 4th year of undergrad (i will end up going 5 years because of transferring). I have about a 3.42 cGPA and 3.35sGPA with an upward trend thus far. My GPA took a hit my 2nd year at Ohio State University thanks to a couple C-'s in Calc 2 and Gen Chem 3, but other than that i have done well. I expect to do well this next year so hopefully i could bump my cGPA up and over 3.5. From this past summer, i have a little over 160 hours of volunteering with a DO (I took BPs, vitals, temps, and aided in minor procedures). Also, i was able to shadow the same family physician throughout the summer and gain around 150 hours of shadowing. Last summer i shadowed a physician assistant -- to really learn what differentiates them from physicians -- as well as volunteered at a nursing home for probably around 20 hours....also, i am an Ohio resident.

I am a member of a few clubs at school as well as a captain on the varsity basketball team. During the summer, or when i can get home for a weekend, i work full time at a butcher shop.

I plan on taking the MCAT next summer and applying to schools before my "senior" year. If that does not work out, i will improve my stats and for sure apply early the following summer.

I know my GPA needs to improve along with increasing my volunteer hours and scoring high on the MCAT. But as of now, what are my chances for MD or DO? And what areas must i really stress to improve?
Average entering DO students in 2010 had a cGPA 3.47 and sGPA of 3.36. Average MD acceptee had 3.67cGPA/3.61 BCPM. A strong enough MCAT score can compensate for a lower cGPA at many schools.

If you retake those C-s, AACOMAS will replace them with the new grade (if credit hours are the same or greater). AMCAS averages in retakes with all other grades.

The clinical volunteering and shadowing look good. Be sure to get a DO letter.

The leadership and intercollegiate sport are both beneficial to your application.

You might also consider some nonmedical community service for a cause you care about (eg, coaching b-ball in a poor school system?). Research and teaching also strengthen an application.

Strategize to get at least two LORs from science faculty who taught you and one nonscience. For optimal application timing, plan the MCAT for May or June, if possible.

Thank you for your honesty. Yes, i also planned on putting in some hours at the local animal shelter. Would volunteering my time to run basketball camps at my old high school the past few summers count for anything?

And unfortunately i do not think i could schedule any sooner than the end of june for the MCAT, just because my spring semester will be a tough one and i would not want to jeopardize my GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Yes, i also planned on putting in some hours at the local animal shelter. Would volunteering my time to run basketball camps at my old high school the past few summers count for anything?

2) And unfortunately i do not think i could schedule any sooner than the end of june for the MCAT, just because my spring semester will be a tough one and i would not want to jeopardize my GPA.
1) Either or both would be of value.

2) You have your priorities straight.

Do you think I should apply for sure next summer (assuming I do well enough on the MCAT) , or should I apply the following summer (having a better GPA) and sit out a year before matriculation in order to increase my chances with a more broad range of schools?

Running basketball camps also adds leadership, but you're already a team captain.

I think you need more non-medical volunteering, which the basketball camps fits as well.

Do you think I should apply for sure next summer (assuming I do well enough on the MCAT) , or should I apply the following summer (having a better GPA) and sit out a year before matriculation in order to increase my chances with a more broad range of schools?
It depends on whether you'll apply MD or DO and how strong a test taker you are.

For example, if you earn straight As for the next year your GPA will rise to ~3.56 and after two years to 3.65.

If you earn a 3.7 for the next two years, you'll be at ~3.53.

Since your MCAT score will be part of the equation that determines your competitiveness, it's hard to make the call this far ahead, but I think could be ready to apply to DO schools in June 2012.