soapall16

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hi, I’m new to SDN, but I heard this would be a great place to get some honest advice/ input.

So here goes:
I took the January MCAT- overall 28 p-11,b-10, v-7
I applied with the 28 and decided that I should take the September MCAT because I figured that my verbal would hurt me. Turns out this might not have been the greatest option. I ended up with a 9-9-9. I’m sure this looks bad to schools.
- My overall GPA is 3.74, science 3.59 (never got a C or withdrew from a class).
- I’ve done lots of volunteering (ER, oncology, classroom volunteer, mentor, internship, working with foreign exchange students, etc). I also got to go in the operating room and watch plastic surgeries, and orthopedic surgeries. I’ve also shadowed pediatricians and oncologists.

-Involved in lots of organizations and a secretary for one of them.

-I just got involved in two research projects last semester, which I plan to continue working on: 1.) Spatial cognition 2.) Diversity Initiative

I’m a Florida resident, and plan to stay in state, therefore I applied to all Florida schools and some out of state (GWU, NY Medical College, Wisconsin Medical College, Temple). I did apply early because I already had my 28, but I have yet to hear anything from schools except that my application is complete and under review. I applied to only MD schools, but I am thinking about applying to Nova (DO) because of all the great things I hear. I do realize that in order to do this, I need to find an osteopathic physician ASAP. I’m kind of in panic mode right now since I have friends who are getting interviews and accepted. But I do have friends who applied last year, and got interviews in March at UF and USF… but they weren’t accepted.

Anyone get interviews late in process? How did it go? Any advice on what to do now? I’ve already sent updates to schools. Thanks in advance.

nontrdgsbuiucmd

10+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2008
my own little world
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Couple thoughts --

First, 2 of the schools mentioned (GW, Med College Wisconsin) consider your "synthetic" mcat score, i.e. they'll show your highest sections scores; for them, you've got a 11/10/9 which should be fine.

I had a similar problem to your 1st mcat, except mine was even more lopsided - found out my "6" kept me out of interview pool last year; redid the MCAT & that's no longer an issue, I would not think it would be for you either for mid-level schools (excepting those crazy washu type "our average section score is 13" schools)

On the down side, MCW heavily weights when an app is complete; I was complete there in mid-September w/similar mcat/grades that you've got and this may be too late; got the "small pool" e-mail which indicates around 1/3 chance of an interview here.

Review of apps after the secondary is rec'd seem to take a lot of time; think 6-8 weeks for many schools although I heard back really fast from my instate school. Not sure if FL is similar, but my impression is that they favor instate.

I believe all schools interview through at least January, many schools interview through March or so; in my experience, interviews are scheduled just a few weeks out so it may be another month until you hear anything. Schools in my experience are way to busy to interview a candidate to be nice; they're interviewing with the intent of finding great candidates to accept. Hang in there!

ps I'm in the same boat with a handful of schools, 2+ months after they rec'd secondaries..just wait until you get that nice e-mail inviting you for an interview.

pps make sure all schools know about your recent test score, a 7 verbal will knock you out at most schools per my experience last year & many discussions with many adcomms about my low section score.

soapall16

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Oh, and I did get that "smaller pool" e-mail, but that was over a month ago.

If your MCAT improved, what did you do different studywise? Also, what did you do on your year off?

I've been thinking about ANOTHER re-take but I really don't want to open another MCAT book!! I was also looking into one year master programs in anatomy or biochemistry.

I appreciate the advice, I am trying to hang in there though. The holidays aren't helping because since I've walked through the front door of my house my family has been breathing down my neck!

About the Ads

pride4jc727

10+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I haven't had any luck except a call from a DO school, UMDNJ-SOM with an interview invite for Dec 11. Take a look at my MDApps. Tell me where I stand.

amentruethat

10+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
So, i'm kind of in the same boat. I've heard back both (+) and (-) from a number of schools, but there are some that just haven't responded in anyway. I've checked my application status on their website and everything is complete.

I sent my applications out in late August...is safe to start assuming that I won't be hearing back from these schools, or that if I do, the response will be negative? ...or should I keep my hopes up?

Mobius1985

10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2007
My first interview offer was for January, and my last for June during my application season. (Yeah, I know the season is over in May, but UIC decided to set a new precedent.) Be patient and keep your hopes up. I got accepted, even though it wasn't in the first eight months, and you might too. Always have a backup plan though, and continue to improve your application in case you do need to apply again.

I still haven't heard from Loyola, and I applied two years ago. I guess I could make a reasonable supposition at this point, that they don't want me. But it's too soon for you to jump to that conclusion.

mp1106

10+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Yeah Apply to the Do schools to increase your odds. Some people get interviews in April so you are still in the game.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.