Still haven't heard back from any schools.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swimdude600

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sure that similar posts exists about the same topic, but I am getting to the point where I may need to start making separate plans besides medical school. Here's the story: I had my AMCAS, applications and MCAT set to go early in the summer, but I decided that I need to retake the MCAT to improve my chances. Therefore, I didn't end up submitting my apps until late Sept through Oct. My general stats are listed below. I ended up applying to 20 schools, but I haven't heard back from any of them yet (I double and triple checked that I was complete). I was hoping someone would have some insight into the necessity of me having to plan for alternate activities for the next year.
1. Bio Major from Very Well Known Institution
2. cGPA: 3.7, sGPA: 3.85
3. MCAT: 33
4. 1 Research Publication as 2nd Author.
5. Worked as Paramedic for 3 years during college

Thank you all for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

I am sure that similar posts exists about the same topic, but I am getting to the point where I may need to start making separate plans besides medical school. Here's the story: I had my AMCAS, applications and MCAT set to go early in the summer, but I decided that I need to retake the MCAT to improve my chances. Therefore, I didn't end up submitting my apps until late Sept through Oct. My general stats are listed below. I ended up applying to 20 schools, but I haven't heard back from any of them yet (I double and triple checked that I was complete). I was hoping someone would have some insight into the necessity of me having to plan for alternate activities for the next year.
1. Bio Major from Very Well Known Institution
2. cGPA: 3.7, sGPA: 3.85
3. MCAT: 33
4. 1 Research Publication as 2nd Author.
5. Worked as Paramedic for 3 years during college

Thank you all for your help.

The first time I applied I didn't have people read over my statement. This time around I had EVERYONE read it including an awesome, really blunt teacher I had who told me it blew and to re-write it.

I've gotten interviews at everyschool except 1 this time around and accepted to all i've heard back from.

I really thought my statement last year was good, but obviously not.

Just a thought...

If you submitted in September/October, you were definitely very late; you probably weren't verifed until mid-late October, and then even if you turned your secondaries around very quickly, you were stuck at the bottom of a pile behind everyone who submitted before you. It wouldn't surprise me if you're still not reviewed at those schools for another few weeks.

Applying early can't be stressed enough in this process; it's nearly as essential to a successful application as stats. If you have trouble getting in this year, you should definitely get in somewhere next year even if the only thing you do differently is submit on June 1.

Moving to what are my chances.

Members don't see this ad :)
The first time I applied I didn't have people read over my statement. This time around I had EVERYONE read it including an awesome, really blunt teacher I had who told me it blew and to re-write it.

I've gotten interviews at everyschool except 1 this time around and accepted to all i've heard back from.

I really thought my statement last year was good, but obviously not.

Just a thought...

Interesting, that certainly could be a weakness in my application, though I had my pre-med advising office read and edit it for me.

planning is always good. we cant tell without the list of the schools you applied to and your other ECs

planning is always good. we cant tell without the list of the schools you applied to and your other ECs

I'm from Florida, so I applied to all of the Florida schools. I also applied to a wide variety of others: Johns Hopkins, Mayo, Wake, Vandy, Rosalind Franklin, Georgetown, GWU, Brown, NYMC, Baylor, Yale, Emory and Drexel. In terms of EC's, I am an EMS Lieutenant at my firestation as well as a EMS Staging Officer (as you can tell this is where I spend most of my free time). I am an EMS instructor for undergraduates hoping to enter EMS. I have done research with two different doctors, one of which I am still assisting (1 publication). Let's see... That's about it, aside from that I'm just the usual pre-med nerd.

Thanks again for your help.

So, your numbers are good with a 3.7/33, you have decent research and a publication, above average clinical experience, and teaching. You don't mention shadowing, leadership. And what is your community service, since EMT was a job? I hope you also had some hobbies listed so you look interesting. Your school list is mostly top-heavy, and the exceptions get a huge number of applications, except for the state schools.

And you applied late, which typically means you'll be accepted by a school less selective that the niche you should be in for your stats. Right now your application is one third of the way up from the bottom of a very thick pile, so it might be awhile before it's looked at.

Did you get any feedback on your LORs to be sure no one gave you a luke-warm recommendation?

Are you working on plugging any holes in your application in case you need to reapply next year? If you have no community service or shadowing, those are big holes. Leadership is very desirable to have.

whooops..sorry i knew that

well u def applied broadly, which is good. I think you should re-bump this thread if you still havn't heard in 1 mo.

agreed. but you neeeeever know.

URM?

When were you marked complete? Has it only been about a month or less? If so, then you need to be patient and wait a bit longer because a month is nothing in this process. I would think you will at least get responses from your state schools. Your numbers are good.

So, your numbers are good with a 3.7/33, you have decent research and a publication, above average clinical experience, and teaching. You don't mention shadowing, leadership. And what is your community service, since EMT was a job? I hope you also had some hobbies listed so you look interesting. Your school list is mostly top-heavy, and the exceptions get a huge number of applications, except for the state schools.

And you applied late, which typically means you'll be accepted by a school less selective that the niche you should be in for your stats. Right now your application is one third of the way up from the bottom of a very thick pile, so it might be awhile before it's looked at.

Did you get any feedback on your LORs to be sure no one gave you a luke-warm recommendation?

Are you working on plugging any holes in your application in case you need to reapply next year? If you have no community service or shadowing, those are big holes. Leadership is very desirable to have.

You bring up some very interesting points. I think what is most important in my application is that all of my EMS work is actually volunteer (I kinda get paid, but only for gas and other travel expenses). I believe my LOR's are pretty solid, I am extremely close to the two professors who wrote my LOR's. I have shadowed a number of doctors, but mostly just during one or two rounds, nothing over a long period of time.

Since you seem to have substantial insight into this process, what would you consider doing in your time off? I love to work hard, so I am considering a master's, but I would love to advance my skills as a fire/rescue/ems volunteer. Your thoughts?

u might be a tad late for the top 10 schools.

Good call... I got a rejection from Mayo as I was replying to this thread. ****ty. I really like the idea of a small class size and large emphasis on clinicals.

1) Some formal shadowing, spending 25-40 hours with each of two doctors, one of whom is in primary care. I'd also list the informal shadowing you've done. If you didn't mention is, thinking it was not sufficiently substantive, this alone could be a reason you're ignored. (I saw a reccent post to this effect.)

2) Clinical experience in a completely different venue: free clinic, family-planning clinic, hospice, nursing home, post-op ward, etc. Yours may be wider than I can tell if you did clinical research. Did yours involve direct interaction with patients?

3) Some non-medical community service; consider soup kitchen, crisis hotline, homeless shelter, Habitat for Humanity, Human Society, etc.

4) Some form of leadership. You could probably think of something related to paramedic stuff. Maybe spearhead a fund raiser to buy new equipment. Be the organizer of the EMTs going out to schools to talk to kids about 911, or first aid, or giving tours of the rig, etc.

5) Don't do a masters unless it's something your want to learn for its own sake, as it won't help you get into med school. Further, it would need to be a one-year program, as med schools expect you to complete your obligation to your program. You will need a letter saying so, as well as a LOR from your masters advisor at most schools.

6) Find a way to get paid for being a paramedic.

Last edited:
You bring up some very interesting points. I think what is most important in my application is that all of my EMS work is actually volunteer (I kinda get paid, but only for gas and other travel expenses). I believe my LOR's are pretty solid, I am extremely close to the two professors who wrote my LOR's. I have shadowed a number of doctors, but mostly just during one or two rounds, nothing over a long period of time.

Since you seem to have substantial insight into this process, what would you consider doing in your time off? I love to work hard, so I am considering a master's, but I would love to advance my skills as a fire/rescue/ems volunteer. Your thoughts?

One or two rounds of shadowing a number of doctors isn't a bad thing. It's good that you're thinking backup plans, but you seem to have a really solid application. I don't think you are a long shot to get in this year, with your numbers and seeing that you applied broadly. I hope you had a quick turnaround on the secondaries however. Good luck.

If you don't get in however, I would say hold down a job for the year, unless you're really interested in getting a masters. A one year masters program is probably rather expensive though. Honestly, if you don't get in this cycle, just make sure you have everything together by the second week of June next year and you're probably a shoe-in.

Good call... I got a rejection from Mayo as I was replying to this thread. ****ty. I really like the idea of a small class size and large emphasis on clinicals.

Dont worry, Mayo rejects loads because of their specificity and small class size requirements.

Did they request for LORs?

Because if they didnt, its time to take more precautionary measures because it means your AMCAS was not interesting enough for them to go to step2.

Your situation was very similar to mine. Florida resident, good numbers, late app, good ECs with weak volunteering.

That said, your numbers and ECs alone make you a strong candidate for all the Florida schools (except, maybe, UF). The late application will hurt you, to be sure, but it won't sink you. Overall, it's still a little early to become too concerned, but I wouldn't set your heart on anything out of state.

I think you need to sit back and relax over the holidays. The adcoms that I have talked to have just started the second look at apps to see what interests them. There is still plenty of time left good luck.:xf: