Jan 24, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi everyone!

So I finished all my secondaries for MD/PhD programs by mid-September. I know it usually takes the admissions committees a while to tell you whether you got an interview invite or not, but I was wondering whether y'all think that if a school hasn't sent out an invite at this point, they aren't going to send you one. I'm a bit frustrated just because I haven't heard back from over half of the schools I applied to, and I only received a couple of interview invites so far.

What really frustrated me was when I just looked at the interview calendar for one of the schools I applied to (Pitt), and their last two interview dates are within the next two weeks. Do you think this lack of response probably means I didn't get an invite? Also wondering if anyone else is in the same situation as I am...

Thanks guys!

Maebea

15+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2003
East of Eden
Visit site
Status
I would say Pitt is almost certainly a no-go. Given the logistics involved in scheduling an interview, two weeks is the minimal amount of time needed in most cases. That being said, they might keep you on a wait list to plug a hole if someone cancels their interview. This might be the case at other schools that have not notified you of a decision on your application.

OP
J
Jan 24, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Yeah I agree with you on Pitt, it would just be courteous of them to actually tell me that they don't want me haha (I also got a PM from someone, who said that they have heard about other people getting "silent-rejections" from Pitt). I've gotten a couple of PMs from other people who seem to be in a similar situation, so hopefully we'll hear back from more schools this coming month...

OP
J
Jan 24, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
So I've gotten a lot of PM's from people regarding this topic, so I thought I would summarize them here:

General:
- There seems to be a lot of us in this situation. Not sure if this happens most years, but the large AMCAS delay and higher number of applicants this year may have something to do with it.
- Some in this situation recently received a surge of invites, so there's still hope!
- Many schools still appear to have interviews in February and March, so many schools are probably still filling in those slots and are still looking through applications.

For specific schools:
- The Pitt adcom is apparently lazy and likes to give "silent-rejections" (this is just what I've heard, definitely not verified)
- For those applying to Penn, their interview dates appear to be tailored for specific prospective PhD departments (on my interview invite, they said my interview date was just for prospective Bioengineering PhDs). So a lack of response may just mean that they haven't gotten around to the applications for the departments that you said you were interested in.

I hope this is helpful for others. I'm not trying to justify every single lack of response or rejection from every single school, because I honestly don't expect to get invites from most schools just due to the sheer competitiveness of these programs and how many amazing applicants there are. If anyone has any additional comments/questions to add, please feel free. Best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: Reckoner

Reckoner

Lacks theology and geometry
7+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2011
Status
MD/PhD Student
For those applying to Penn, their interview dates appear to be tailored for specific prospective PhD departments (on my interview invite, they said my interview date was just for prospective Bioengineering PhDs). So a lack of response may just mean that they haven't gotten around to the applications for the departments that you said you were interested in.
Has anyone interested in neuro research gotten an II from Penn? I'm not really expecting one, but you never know.

Jun 15, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
How about physiology/biophysics? I'm almost certain I won't get one, but I'd be interested to know if anyone interviews with Clay Armstrong and/or Toshinori Hoshi.

OCDOCDOCD

5+ Year Member
May 26, 2012
Status
Non-Student
I interviewed with Pitt back in early Sept and they had already extended most of their IIs by that point apparently.

FWIW, I was complete at all my schools by the end of August and all my IIs came between August and Sept. After that all I've been getting are rejections after long periods of silence. At this point I'm assuming all schools I haven't heard back from by now are rejections. Looking at the II thread, very few schools appear to be revisiting complete dates they already passed when handing out IIs. People will say they got IIs as late as February, but usually these people were also complete extremely late.

Also, from what a top 10 adcom member told me at an interview, despite the AMCAS delay they haven't noticed fewer applications, and apparently there was a very noticeable uptick in applicant competitiveness this year, so I wouldn't hold out any hope that the AMCAS delay is going to result in later IIs than usual this year. In addition, programs are accepting fewer applicants this year thanks to the sequestration. So basically, yeah, expect a lot of rejections.

Sep 25, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
apparently there was a very noticeable uptick in applicant competitiveness this year, so I wouldn't hold out any hope that the AMCAS delay is going to result in later IIs than usual this year. In addition, programs are accepting fewer applicants this year thanks to the sequestration.
Thanks for the encouragement. :uhno:
I realize it's a tough process but no one REALLY want to hear that it's even worse this year.

Here's to hoping for an acceptance before May! :xf: