Still hope for interviews? Or should I start preparing for next cycle? WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalStudent8991

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So its almost the end of January and still have not heard back from any of the schools I applied to for an interview. I submitted my application at the beginning of October 2020 and was verified a few days after. Here are my stats again.

At this point should I still have hope for receiving interviews, considering the major delays from COVID? Or is it time to accept the inevitable and prepare for the next cycle?

GPA: 3.78

DAT:
AA: 19
TS: 19
Bio: 22
RC: 24
OC: 17
GC: 19
PAT: 16
QR:16

Schools:
UNC
ECU
TUFTS
UMD
Upenn
VCU
Buffalo
BU
UF
Temple
UAB
PItt

Shadowing: 85 hours (couldnt break 100 due to COVID, still trying to get some more)
Research: 400+ (all most of my extra time in school went into this)
Volunteering: 20 hours

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

So its almost the end of January and still have not heard back from any of the schools I applied to for an interview. I submitted my application at the beginning of October 2020 and was verified a few days after. Here are my stats again.

At this point should I still have hope for receiving interviews, considering the major delays from COVID? Or is it time to accept the inevitable and prepare for the next cycle?

DAT:

Schools:
UNC
ECU
TUFTS
UMD
Upenn
VCU
Buffalo
BU
UF
Temple
UAB
PItt

Shadowing: 85 hours (couldnt break 100 due to COVID, still trying to get some more)
Research: 400+ (all most of my extra time in school went into this)
Volunteering: 20 hours
what are your GPAs?

Members don't see this ad :)
sGPA?
it is helpful if you complete the whole WAMC template...
Sure thing,

Date of submission: 10/4/2020
Overall GPA: 3.78
Science GPA: 3.73
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.77
DAT score (include AA and all sections):

State of Residence: NC

Undergrad Attended:
NC State
Major: Biology (Molec. conc)
Minor: Philosophy
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience:
85 hours, mostly between general and orthodontist
Volunteering Experience: 20 hours; NC missions of Mercy
Employment: Research Assistant
Research: 400+
Other Extracurriculars: .
Relevant Honors or Awards: Research based award
LOR type and strength: 3 profs one dentist (all presumably strong)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere:
School list:

UNC
ECU
TUFTS
UMD
Upenn
VCU
Buffalo
BU
UF
Temple
UAB
PItt

I think what may be hurting your app is the lack of volunteering, especially for ECU as it is a very service focused institution. Your GPA is great, which may put into question your DAT score, especially the sub-17 sections. Most of my EC hours were also research, and you have a decent amount so that's solid. The other thing that definitely hurt you was the late submission, I can tell you that ECU and UNC are already done with interviews, and by early October had already sent out a couple rounds of interviews. Not sure about your OOS schools and whether they are still sending out interviews, but hopefully you'll get some good news soon! Definitely start looking to get some more volunteering hours and possibly retaking the DAT as well, at least to get those sections above a 17.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm going to be brutally honest here. Your GPA is high but your DAT isn't. You might get into a private school (which you didn't really apply to...) but it would be hard to get into a public school. I'm not sure what UNC looks for in an IS student but I know they are very stat heavy for OOS students. You should also aim for min 100 volunteering hours.

If you were to apply next cycle w/o retaking your DAT, I would highly advise you to rethink your school list. If you do get 21+ on the DAT and better volunteering hours, you'll for sure have a better shot.

EDIT: get the ADEA dental school explorer and see which schools favor OOS students. Check their stats and see where you fall. For example, it's extremely hard to get into UF as an OOS applicant.

Reactions: 3 users
What undergrad did you go to? Was that also in NC?

I'm going to be brutally honest here. Your GPA is high but your DAT isn't. You might get into a private school (which you didn't really apply to...) but it would be hard to get into a public school. I'm not sure what UNC looks for in an IS student but I know they are very stat heavy for OOS students. You should also aim for min 100 volunteering hours.

If you were to apply next cycle w/o retaking your DAT, I would highly advise you to rethink your school list. If you do get 21+ on the DAT and better volunteering hours, you'll for sure have a better shot.

EDIT: get the ADEA dental school explorer and see which schools favor OOS students. Check their stats and see where you fall. For example, it's extremely hard to get into UF as an OOS applicant.
Agreed. You can hope for the best for this cycle, but start prepping yourself for app next cycle.

definitely retake your DAT if you don't hear anything by February.