MD & DO Still in the game? (Low GPA, downward trend)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paramagnetic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the first half of my college career, my GPA was in the 3.7 range. For the second half, 3.0 range. Lots of family issues (immediate family member w/ substance abuse issues), personal problems (relationships), work (~10hrs/wk) and dedication to my research project contributed to the large downshift in my GPA. The aforementioned aren't meant to excuse my weak academic performance, but they are truthful contributors.

School: Ranked ~75 USNWR
Major: Neuroscience
cGPA: 3.34
sGPA: 3.19
MCAT: Not taken
Clinical: 6 Years as an EMT (For pay and volunteer, in non-emergency and emergent).
Research: 1 Year in Neuroscience lab doing data analysis, literature review and running experiments. Middle author on poster presentation at an international conference. Possible middle author on publication. Reputable lab and great relationship with my mentor.
Shadowing: 1 Day shadowing a plastic surgeon / dermatologist

Any point in trying to take the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

For MD schools you would need a 514 MCAT to have a 50% chance for a MD acceptance. Your NJ schools are where your best chances would be with that MCAT.