Still match even if no residency program for desired specialty during rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StudentDoc91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm an M3 (cant figure out how to update my profile)

I've heard that if I want to match into a residency for a specific specialty, the hospital I rotate through should offer a residency program in that specialty so I can get an LOR from the program director to look good during interviews.

If the hospital I rotate through doesnt have a residency program for my desired specialty, are there other ways to go about still matching into my desired specialty (Pediatrics)? Such as sub-internships or elective rotations?

Also, Im from Texas, so I know it can get pretty competitive there (is this true for Peds though?).
Still waiting on Step scores, but dont want to rotate at a hospital where matching into my dream career isnt even possible

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard that if I want to match into a residency for a specific specialty, the hospital I rotate through should offer a residency program in that specialty so I can get an LOR from the program director to look good during interviews.

This is a common misconception. While rotating at a hospital that offers a residency program you're interested in is very convenient, it can be a double-edge sword (what if the rotation was rough, what if the LOR you would have gotten is too cookie-cutter, etc.). So while it might not be ideal to rotate at a facility that doesn't offer a residency, it's not doom and gloom. Several of my IMG friends matched in Texas for Peds, and I know for a fact that we can't rotate in that state -- so if they did it you certainly can too :thumbup:

Also try to schedule your 4th year ped rotations from Aug - Dec. This is prime audition time. If you can go through VSAS for scheduling, try to schedule places that have residencies and have matched students from your school in the past first, then branch out to other places that you would like. Right now is the perfect time for this ground work as the 2017 match data was just released, so find the match list from you school and start from there. Make sure to include matches from 2017 and prior (I'd say as far back as 2014, if not more). If you are able to reach out to those people who matched, do it -- possibly even ask them to mentor you through the process, it never hurts to have some extra insider help.

The most important thing for you now is to get a good LOR, next would be to make a good impression. So if you have to choose between a solid rotation at a reputable hospital vs. one that is in your ideal location, I would suggest getting experience from the better institution which would give more weight to your LOR, and hence increase your match probability down the road.

Lastly, start now :) Some places have a 3 or 4 month window before they will accept applications for 4th year while other places will have a schedule ready at the beginning of the year. Learn which places are which and set your course accordingly. Good luck :luck:

This is a common misconception. While rotating at a hospital that offers a residency program you're interested in is very convenient, it can be a double-edge sword (what if the rotation was rough, what if the LOR you would have gotten is too cookie-cutter, etc.)

Thank you sooooooo much, this gives me a lot of hope, I will definitely start now.

Last edited: