Still no covid vaccine for retail pharmacists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sozetone

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i've been testing the system here in Florida to see how i can get a covid vaccine. The asnwer is i CANNOT. as a retail pharmacist that is. MY chain does not have them yet, but as we are expected to immunize the world for this we are not top priority? I have been in touch with the health department who advised the shots are for 65 and up ONLY and i would be turned away at my appointment. ( i weas lucky to get one)..even after advising I was in group 1A and ACIP and CDC guidelines were to vaccinate us first, they could not and would not. Governors orders.....they said. awesome job guys. where are you retail pharms going to get a shot if your company has not given it to you yet? any advice? this is more about principle and not fear of coronavirus i promise. What resources do retail pharms have to get a shot that works? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

So i've been testing the system here in Florida to see how i can get a covid vaccine. The asnwer is i CANNOT. as a retail pharmacist that is. MY chain does not have them yet, but as we are expected to immunize the world for this we are not top priority? I have been in touch with the health department who advised the shots are for 65 and up ONLY and i would be turned away at my appointment. ( i weas lucky to get one)..even after advising I was in group 1A and ACIP and CDC guidelines were to vaccinate us first, they could not and would not. Governors orders.....they said. awesome job guys. where are you retail pharms going to get a shot if your company has not given it to you yet? any advice? this is more about principle and not fear of coronavirus i promise. What resources do retail pharms have to get a shot that works? thanks.
You can sign up with Orlando Health who is giving them to all healthcare workers or you can do what I did and signup to be in a trial.

In New York and getting my first dose on Thursday. We'll be giving them at the store starting Wednesday.

Members don't see this ad :)
Health systems seem to be expanding access to these now and pharmacists are part of the first phase so it's only a matter of time if you want one in the next 4 weeks

My area is doing COVID vaccine clinics for people in long-term care facilities right now. But they are also giving left over shots to the employees. I actually got my first COVID shot 4 days ago.

That is Florida for you! Should have stayed in CO!

On a serious note, I spoke to someone on retail side and they went to county's health care dept and got their shot.

Anyone know of any regional pharmacy chains that are helping to distribute this vaccine for phase 1a?

Looks like Safeway/Albertson's is ready to go as you can actually sign up online for a 15-minute block (for those in WA/OR/ID/CA/AZ I guess). I'm guessing they're doing the Moderna one

Example: LIST: Pharmacies in Maricopa County administering the COVID-19 vaccine

Reactions: 1 user
CA Gov Gavin Newsom said geezers 65 and older can get shot now without regard to what phase counties are currently on.

Way to muddy the waters.

CA Gov Gavin Newsom said geezers 65 and older can get shot now without regard to what phase counties are currently on.

Way to muddy the waters.
Cuomo did the same in New York, I believe the CDC recommended them adding 65+ immediately.

One county in my area is already moving forward into 1B whereas the others either haven't updated their websites and/or are just sticking to 1A for now

At least now that county's Safeway locations prob won't have wasted vaccine now.

Way to muddy the waters.

Same here in FLorida, so i'll die on a ventilator, alone in some hospital ward. so some older person can sit at home and watch murder she wrote. Thanks Gov!

I just checked Safeway's vaccine appointment schedule for a few stores and all slots are wiped out for Jan and Feb (TBF a lot of people in Feb would be getting the 2nd dose), including a location in Kings Beach (near Lake Tahoe). JFL

I just checked Safeway's vaccine appointment schedule for a few stores and all slots are wiped out for Jan and Feb (TBF a lot of people in Feb would be getting the 2nd dose), including a location in Kings Beach (near Lake Tahoe). JFL

Kroger here will start being able to administer the vaccine, though I'm not sure which one. Of course no store has been granted additional RPh or tech hours and they have no additional manpower. Depending on which state, some of the RPhs haven't got their vaccine yet either. Pretty silly.

From what I observed, Safeway is doing 1 pharmacist intake and 1 pharmacy tech administration. Seen only 4 people max (1 pharmacist taking forms and screening, 1 tech giving the shots, the other pharmacist and tech handling regular pharmacy operations). This is presumably the setup at the other 6-7 Safeway locations in this county (I counted 12 total Safeway locations in this county)

I don't see this happening at Walmart

This is really an indicator of just how important and vital our "roles" are as pharmacists...... this says it all man.......We vaccinate right? Save lives ? all the propaganda they tell us? but were not first in line to be protected ? The government AND big companies all know retail pharms will be out there giving these shots, saving lives.....Its been set up for months.... bought and paid for...but they just FORGOT TO PROTECT US? i cant get a shot here in Florida until my company has them. And then im still not 100% sure the first doses will go into the staff arms.....Florida health dept will ONLY do 65 and up... locked us out completely....This is the biggest health crisis on a global scale we have seen in a long time, and guess what? pharmacists dont matter enough to protect.

i cant get a shot here in Florida until my company has them.
Wrong. Any healthcare worker can sign up at Orlando Health. I image there are other hospitals in other parts of the state doing the same although I can’t promise it.

I already gave you this info so why keep spreading misinformation?

Wrong. Any healthcare worker can sign up at Orlando Health. I image there are other hospitals in other parts of the state doing the same although I can’t promise it.

I already gave you this info so why keep spreading misinformation?

sure ANY worker can sign up. But not EVERY worker can up and drive there, and since they have like 5 shots in the whole building, best of luck. It's not misinformation , go out there and see for yourself....

sure ANY worker can sign up. But not EVERY worker can up and drive there, and since they have like 5 shots in the whole building, best of luck. It's not misinformation , go out there and see for yourself....
I mean availability is an issue for sure but you are making it sound like it’s impossible to get a shot. It’s not impossible. We are literally in group 1a. It’s just that there aren’t enough shots for everyone in 1a yet. What exactly do you want, for pharmacists to have priority over literally every other group? We are already in the highest priority group.