still nothing!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed2002

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else in the same position? -- I took the August MCAT, and still have not heard a thing (besides my application is complete). I have a 3.51 from an ivy, and 31Q MCAT. Is this a bad sign? Might schools wait and send rejections after other interviews have been completed? Any insight greatly appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

I would not be too worried just yet. I took the MCAT for the first time in Aug. and have still not heard from 15 schools (only U Mich, UPenn, UCLA and UCSF have gotten back to me about interviews.) A lot of schools are probably swamped with apps right now, and they most likely won't be looking at them until the new year, so relax and enjoy the holidays with the people you love, and then get ready for an explosion of mailbox activity in the new year.

I took the April MCAT, submitted my primary in early July, secondaries in August and September and it was only last week that I heard from my first school about an interview.

You are not alone. Remember, schools interview until March (perhaps April this year). They don't interview out of the kindness of their heart but rather to find good candidates for their program. That is to say, even late interviewees get spots. I don't think it is time to worry just yet. Good luck...the schools are just probably saving the best people for last anyway...

Members don't see this ad :)
I am an August MCAT'ter, and I only sent in my AMCAS in October. I have heard nothing yet. But I have pretty good stats, so I'm not too worried yet. Just a little anxious... :D

Well, I would think the processing of your applications would be effected by the dates on which your apps were complete relative to other August MCATers. When was your AMCAS verified? When did you submit your secondaries? For example, I submitted my AMCAS at the end of July and was verified on 10/12 (only after threatening legal action). I started submitting secondaries in early August and had all but the 1 school I was applying to that screened completed by mid October so that my file would be complete when the schools received my scores. I have similar stats and undergrad to you and have had 2 interviews, 1 phone interview, 5 interviews scheduled, 1 rejection, 0 acceptances, and no word at all from 15 schools. My feeling is this whole thing is kind of a crapshoot, so best to apply to lots of schools to increase one's chances. I think you're going to start hearing from schools soon, probably after the holidays. Hang in there, and have a Merry Christmas! :D

Originally posted by brandonite:
•I am an August MCAT'ter, and I only sent in my AMCAS in October. I have heard nothing yet. But I have pretty good stats, so I'm not too worried yet. Just a little anxious... :D •••

brandonite, I predict you're going to get into some of your dream schools! :D

I feel your pain. My secondaries have been finished for months and I have heard zip (besides the cute postcards that inform me of complete app status). I have a 3.55 gpa from a small liberal arts college and a 30S on the MCAT. It's frustrating...I want to know where I stand in this crapshoot! Even if its a rejection, bring it on!! One of the 21 schools I have applied to must be ready to make some type of decision. The wait is driving me batty :)

Originally posted by SMW:
•Well, I would think the processing of your applications would be effected by the dates on which your apps were complete relative to other August MCATers. When was your AMCAS verified? When did you submit your secondaries? For example, I submitted my AMCAS at the end of July and was verified on 10/12 (only after threatening legal action). I started submitting secondaries in early August and had all but the 1 school I was applying to that screened completed by mid October so that my file would be complete when the schools received my scores. I have similar stats and undergrad to you and have had 2 interviews, 1 phone interview, 5 interviews scheduled, 1 rejection, 0 acceptances, and no word at all from 15 schools. My feeling is this whole thing is kind of a crapshoot, so best to apply to lots of schools to increase one's chances. I think you're going to start hearing from schools soon, probably after the holidays. Hang in there, and have a Merry Christmas! :D •••

My AMCAS was verified November 3rd. I didn't send my first secondary in until the middle of November. So, y'see, it's all my fault. :) I fully accept responsibility for my own stupidity.

Anyway, right now I'm just hoping for interviews! All of my secondaries are now complete, so I'm hoping to hear in January (fingers crossed).

Anyway, I completely agree, SMW. This whole process is completely random. I wish I'd applied to more schools, going back. I didn't know a single thing about AMCAS when I put my application in, and there are a pile of things I would do differently...

But I don't anticipate hearing anything until after Christmas. I don't think much is going on right now with the admissions committees!

Hang in there, everybody! And I'm sure you'll get an acceptance well before I get an interview, SMW. ;)

hey guys,

Im in the same boat. no word from 17 schools - except that my apps are complete. 3.85 gpa and an april and august MCAter.Im getting frustrated - but im going to try to forget about it until after the holidays - even though everyone will be asking me questions about it over christmas dinner :) :rolleyes:

Don't lose hope quite yet. I wasn't expecting to hear anything until the new year, but I got an interview request from U of Maryland this past weekend. Have faith.

Originally posted by andi11:
•even though everyone will be asking me questions about it over christmas dinner•••

I'm not looking forward to that either. The waiting to hear from schools is not half as bad as telling people time and time again, "No, I still haven't heard anything yet..."

•And I'm sure you'll get an acceptance well before I get an interview, SMW. ;) •••

Looks like she did, Albany Medical College. Congratulations again SMW!

I submitted all my secondaries in either August or September. My AMCAS was verified in October. I applied to 14 schools with 3.6gpa, 30 MCAT. I've interviewed at two schools (put on a hold list at one of them subsequently), and I've heard nothing from the other 12 schools.

I know that 14 schools is sort of on the low side for someone with borderline stats like me. But I figured that I've hit virtually all of the second-tier schools and that there was no point in applying to anywhere else with higher admissions standards. Am I right on this, or should I still have applied to more schools nonetheless?

Members don't see this ad :)
otter - did you take the April or August MCAT? Because things are really only starting to roll for the August MCATers lately. Were your apps really all complete in September? i.e. you took the April MCAT, had no problems with its release, and your LOR's were all accounted for? If so, then I think maybe you did yourself a disservice by not applying to more schools. My stats are similar to yours, and I applied to 23 schools - a full range of reach, realistic and safety schools. I have been pleasantly surprised with the results, especially considering I took the August MCAT, but there are still 13 schools I've yet to hear from (other than app complete). The fact that you've received 2 interviews bodes well for your other applications. Many schools are really slow this year, bogged down as they are with the mountains of excess paper the AMCAS debacle generated. I expect you'll be hearing from some more schools after the holidays, if not before! :)

P.S. btw, I don't think our stats are "borderline" at all! ;)

Hi SMW - yes I did take the August MCAT. So some of my apps didn't become complete until early Nov, even though I had finished my secondaries way back when. Although my stats are nothing to be ashamed of, I'm a little pessimistic because things went very bad in last year's app cycle and because I don't think I interview particularly well. Having said this, I appreciate your encouragement and I'm still hopeful that I'll get more interview invitations, more likely places like Jefferson, MCPH, NYMC and Chicago Med.

Btw, I went to your home state of Alaska this past summer and loved it. It'd be great to do a rotation up there, especially down in the Kenai peninsula. I loved the "No Puffin" stickers!

there are so many of us who are in this boat! it sucks. i took the april mcat and got all my secondaries (all 21 of them) in early and STILL NOTHING. of course, i made sure everything is complete everywhere, but i am apparently just under review everywhere. so i know how you feel! i am constantly fielding questions from all the doctors i work with ("heard anything yet?") and all my friends who have absolutely no clue about how intense and frustrating this whole process is. AND I PAID 3 GRAND FOR THIS??? it's crazy, but i have faith that it will all work out, but the agony will probably continue until march or april. but i must say, reading all of your posts is the highlight of my day, every day. of course, if i would freakin get some mail from a med school, that would be even more of a highlight! ;) don't lose hope....

I have faith that things will eventually sort themselves out, EMTgirl. Things are behind this year. And, there are a lot fewer applications than before (or so others have suggested...). So, I think it's just a matter of being patient. I'm sorta waiting until January. I only applied to 7 schools, and got my applications in late at all of them, so I'm not shocked yet to hear I haven't heard anything, but. Perhaps with your 21, you should be hearing some things soon!

We can all look to SMW for inspiration. :) Are you the first August MCATter to get an acceptance? Maybe we need a thread for that...

•We can all look to SMW for inspiration. :) Are you the first August MCATter to get an acceptance? Maybe we need a thread for that...•••

I believe Logan was first with his acceptance to UAB.

Hey guys... just wanted to let you know that there is an April MCATer here that has only heard from one school (Einstein), and it was a rejection. My AMCAS was verified in mid-Sept and all my secondaries were out by the end of Oct. I have a great GPA (3.92), but my MCAT score is only 25P. Let me know what you guys think about my odds... seeing as I haven't heard anything yet. I probably over-estimated myself with the caliber of schools that I applied to, but the thing is, I applied only to schools I would really want to go to (13 total). I figured if I didn't get in anywhere I would try for the rest next year. Best of luck guys... this part of the long hall is driving me crazy though! I just want an interview somewhere!!!

you have not overestimated yourself. there is no point in applying to schools you do not want to attend. a 25 is a respectable score, and should be buffered by your outstanding gpa. but you know, this whole process, as everyone has affirmed, is a complete CRAPSHOOT. and also a true test of our patience. my advice is: don't pull out plan B just yet. i have told myself that i will not start stressing until february. i have talked to MANY people who are in med school and many of them did not interview at their school until march. it sucks to think we may feel like this until march, but at least that is a glimmer of hope. by the way, i took the april mcat too.

Thanks EMTgirl. Btw, I'm an EMT also and absolutely LOVE it. What state are you in? Do you ride with your college EMS? Just wondering. Anyways, I'm trying my best to be patient, but I've found that this website is actually making me more anxious. I'm so happy for everyone, but it makes me wonder why I haven't heard anything. I'm sure many of you out there know how I feel... it's just the way of the game. Lets play on! Good luck!!!

Oops! Excuse me, SwampMan!! :oops: How could I have forgotten your USA acceptance after you were cut out of and restored to the Acceptances, Waitlists, Rejections thread! :D

For the record, SwampMan was first by 2 weeks!! :D

SMW,

It's cool! I'm trying to keep the new withdrawl list under control. What a pain!!! How do you do it?! ;) :confused: ;)

Meg9480...i'm an EMT in CA. my college doesn't have EMS, i don't really know what that is. i just work 911 and we run with the fire dept. i love it too, but i am ready to be OFF the ambi and in med school! another day, and still nothing! maybe i should start looking on the bright side and saying...another day, no rejections! and i agree with you about SDN making me more anxious, but there is something encouraging about reading posts from people who understand what i am going through. i am addicted to this website!

wattup people. I'm pretty upset with the way things are going as well. here's my situation. maybe someone can give me words of ...something.

i applied last year with 29 mcat(april 2000) and 3.6 gpa. senior year average gpa was 3.0 (nice right). but i took the august mcat (2001) and got a 34. my gpa is now 3.45 overall with that silly ass senior average, which i'm sure makes me look horrible.

at this point i'm only receiving application complete postcards. things should be moving more quickly though. shouldn't they??

Welcome to SDN, Caveman!! :D It really depends on when your applications were complete as to what you should be receiving right now. When did you submit AMCAS? When were you verified? When did you submit secondaries and LOR's? A problem with any of these things could be the reason you haven't heard much yet. Also, taking the August MCAT put you at the end of the line as far as getting your app reviewed, as I'm sure you know. Only a few August MCATers have received interview invitations as yet (see the <a href="http://www.studentdoctor.net/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=005742" target="_blank">August MCATers w/ Interviews? List them!</a> thread). Finally, how many schools did you apply to? The people posting here who've already heard from schools tend to have applied to lots (at least 15 - 20+) of schools. And look on the bright side, at least you're not getting rejections -- some of us have received those already!! Try not to worry too much, and enjoy the holidays. With your awesome MCAT score, I'm sure you'll be getting some good news any day now!! Best of luck to you. :)

EMTgirl- Just for the record, I ride with my college volunteer emergency medical service (EMS, i.e. ambulance corp). I definitely know how you feel though... I want to know what happens after we transport to the hospital! I am also addicted to this site... I merely found it two days ago, but I come on constantly to check for updates on the forum :) I love hearing everyone's news. Good thing I found it after finals were over!

Welcome, Meg!! :D Glad you found us!!! :)

Hi. thanks for the welcome! well, i don't keep exact dates of when my amcas was verified or, but i did keep an informal log of when i sent secondaries and some LOR's. since i applied to about 32 schools, the dates are spread out, but basically i guess most of the stuff was in by october and early november. right now my apps are beginning to be completed since i'm getting those obnoxious (but i cherish them, because at least they're some form of information) post cards.
still, i think my senior grades (3.0 average) and freshman grades (3.0 average) are making me look really weird to committees.
since i finished my undergrad, i'm doing a one-year master's degree in science. what do you think?

Originally posted by A. Caveman:
•i guess most of the stuff was in by october and early november. •••

Well, that explains it! A lot of people on this board (and they tend to be the ones who are getting responses from schools) had a lot of secondaries completed in August or earlier (and, of course, didn't take the August MCAT). Some schools may not have opened stuff sent to them in November yet!!! I'd say you're doing very well to be getting those app complete postcards. I think you're what's considered a "late submitter" on these boards. Check out <a href="http://www.studentdoctor.net/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=006821" target="_blank">this thread "For those who submitted late"</a> to find some kindred spirits.

I think you should have a very good explanation about why your GPA is so erratic, because I think you'll likely be getting some opprtunities to explain it!! :D