Still thinking of being a doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ArkansasRanger

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok. I'll be 27 next month. I don't know if that's exactly what one would refer to as non-traditional, but by the time I went to medical school I'd be 29 or 30 IF I got accepted the first time I applied.

I got my B.S. when I was 21, and while in college I considered myself to be "premed," however, I didn't go thru the hoops that most other premeds did. I wasn't involved in any premed organization, and I had no advisor. I took numerous biology courses with my degree, and I completed the general chemistry component. I was also going to school at night at a nearby community college studying to be a paramedic. At the time I foolishly thought that was my way to beat the system. I figured once I became a paramedic and had that knowledge and experience as well as the exposure to numerous areas of healthcare (ER, OR, ICU, CCU, RT, etc) that perhaps I could get a leg up. Sadly, all of that tired me from going to school so I took the option of graduating a little early without finishing the physics and organic chemistry.

I went on to teach earth science, a semester of chemistry, biology, and anatomy/physiology for two years which I didn't really like, and I worked part-time as a paramedic. While teaching I kept thinking that I wanted to go on to medical school. I got out of that and joked I'd become an accountant, and I thought that'd be a good way to secure a new career without the sacrafices of going back to finish the premed work and going on to medical school. I started working at the sheriff's office at night and going to accounting during the day. I hated those classes and pretty much quit going with subsequent B's and C's on top of my original 3.45 with the B.S. and 4.0 with the paramedic stuff. I was offered a job with the city P.D. for 11k more a year, and I took it and stayed there for 13 months. Then I got a job as a law enforcement park ranger. It's what I have now, and I am totally enthralled with it. I've been doing it for 15 months, and I can actually see myself retiring from this one or promoting on thru the department. Nonetheless, I like it.

Now, on to the meat of the matter. I really would still like to go to medical school, and I would like being a physician as I've never stopped thinking about it. I'm willing to take the necessary premed courses online, and I'm willing to apply to UAMS here in Arkansas. At this point I have no interest in quitting my job to go back to school to take the necessary prereqs on a gamble, nor do I have the desire to move out of state. I like it here. If I got accepted I'd go, but I'm not willing to throw away what I've got. I finally found a job that I like, and it suits my personality. I don't know how I'd finance med school, but I do know that I'm really not willing to make the savings and IRA (financial planning is a hobby) that I've worked for disappear.

I guess two questions are here. 1) My background is really different. How's that work for me in terms of the applicant process? 2) Do you think I'm committed enough, or is it just a daydream? I question that because unlike some on this board I'm not willing to take such a risk.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok. I'll be 27 next month. I don't know if that's exactly what one would refer to as non-traditional, but by the time I went to medical school I'd be 29 or 30 IF I got accepted the first time I applied.

I got my B.S. when I was 21, and while in college I considered myself to be "premed," however, I didn't go thru the hoops that most other premeds did. I wasn't involved in any premed organization, and I had no advisor. I took numerous biology courses with my degree, and I completed the general chemistry component. I was also going to school at night at a nearby community college studying to be a paramedic. At the time I foolishly thought that was my way to beat the system. I figured once I became a paramedic and had that knowledge and experience as well as the exposure to numerous areas of healthcare (ER, OR, ICU, CCU, RT, etc) that perhaps I could get a leg up. Sadly, all of that tired me from going to school so I took the option of graduating a little early without finishing the physics and organic chemistry.

I went on to teach earth science, a semester of chemistry, biology, and anatomy/physiology for two years which I didn't really like, and I worked part-time as a paramedic. While teaching I kept thinking that I wanted to go on to medical school. I got out of that and joked I'd become an accountant, and I thought that'd be a good way to secure a new career without the sacrafices of going back to finish the premed work and going on to medical school. I started working at the sheriff's office at night and going to accounting during the day. I hated those classes and pretty much quit going with subsequent B's and C's on top of my original 3.45 with the B.S. and 4.0 with the paramedic stuff. I was offered a job with the city P.D. for 11k more a year, and I took it and stayed there for 13 months. Then I got a job as a law enforcement park ranger. It's what I have now, and I am totally enthralled with it. I've been doing it for 15 months, and I can actually see myself retiring from this one or promoting on thru the department. Nonetheless, I like it.

Now, on to the meat of the matter. I really would still like to go to medical school, and I would like being a physician as I've never stopped thinking about it. I'm willing to take the necessary premed courses online, and I'm willing to apply to UAMS here in Arkansas. At this point I have no interest in quitting my job to go back to school to take the necessary prereqs on a gamble, nor do I have the desire to move out of state. I like it here. If I got accepted I'd go, but I'm not willing to throw away what I've got. I finally found a job that I like, and it suits my personality. I don't know how I'd finance med school, but I do know that I'm really not willing to make the savings and IRA (financial planning is a hobby) that I've worked for disappear.

I guess two questions are here. 1) My background is really different. How's that work for me in terms of the applicant process? 2) Do you think I'm committed enough, or is it just a daydream? I question that because unlike some on this board I'm not willing to take such a risk.

First of all it sounds like you are questioning yourself. I guess this is normal. I do it every day, but I know what I want. Especially in this economy, it is tough to walk away from a really nice paying job, especially when I have a wife and family, to go to med school. But, I took all my pre reqs at night, so the risk wasn't quitting to do all that. I am accepted, etc, but I still what if myself......what if I can't do it? What if I fail? Wat if I don't like it? What is we go to universal healthcare, etc.....What if????

In the end, I would take a calculated risk. Take the rets of your pre reqs in the evning or whenever you can,then apply. You really still do have time on your side. I am 38 and am not concerned about it.

That takes care of the logistical stuff, but it is important to ask yourself why do you want ot be a physician? Is it something that you are holding on to or is it something you are passionate about and can't stop thinking about? It sounds as if you have a really good gig in your current position and that really is half the battle, IMHO.

Good luck.

The fact that you live in Arkansas is to your advantage. You have a higher probability of getting accepted compared to many other states. Hope you're able to sort through things and make the decision that's right for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with above.
However, if you decide to go for it, then take REAL classes at an actual university. Don't try to take physics and organic chem online. Take them at a real university. If you aren't willing to do that, you really aren't willing to make the sacrifices you'll need to make to be successful in med school and residency.

Get all your transcripts. Figure out your overall and BCPM gpa. Make sure you know where you stand before moving on.

Don't take the remaining prereqs online. Some schools may not count them, and many will look down on them. If you can't find yourself willing to do that, I wouldn't bother with anything else. It won't get any easier.

One big problem with taking the prereqs at a school is that I'm about an hour from two state universities - both small. Since they're small I know (because I've looked) that their o-chem and physics are generally offered late morning / mid-day. I can't quit my job to go take those. That said, I don't know of any other way than to do it online from some public university somewhere in the U.S.

Also, why do I stand a better chance of getting accepted to medical school here at UAMS?

Thanks for the insight.

If you can take the lecture online and the labs in person, I've heard that at least is looked on as fine (this is my experience). I have been driving an hour to school for 2.5 years. It is not fun, but I suck it up and do it, because I wanted to earn a second bachelor's from a four-year REALLY respected university. I think it helped, bc I got accepted this cycle. I would do your best to try to flex your hours so you can take a class midday, or at least take the lab in person at the school, and the lecture online from somewhere else.

That's just my two cents.

Also, I would think you would have a better chance, because a place like UAMS is very in-state centered, and the application pool from in-state is much smaller than say, California. You are lucky compared to some states. There are some states that are seriously SOL, and yours is not one of them.

Good luck!

Hi there,

I know how you feel. You want to be a doctor, but there are things in your life that you can't just give up... my husband has been unemployed since Oct. and as much as I would love to just quit and go to school... the mortgage has to be paid.

Since you are sure you want to stay in state, have you thought about consulting the schools to find out what their specific requirements are? I did an Anatomy and Phy class (with lab) online and it's been ok'ed. I also plan on taking Gen Chem II over the summer (lec online and lab in person). Although many people will look down on the courses, ultimately it's the Adcom's decision. If the schools you are interested in says they'll be fine, I would go for it.

fwiw, I called my community college's Admission and Rec office about it. To their knowledge, they have not received a phone call from a medical school regarding how a person took a course. But it's better to be safe then sorry, so just ask them:)

I also work at a CC, so if you have any questions regarding distance ed, pls ask.

Thanks, people. I'm still considering. My next step is really to find a state (or private if it's real) university to take the remaining prerequisites online. I'm not at all in a position to flex my work hours, and I know these courses are never available at night or at least within any distance available to me. The risk of not getting into medical school is too great for me to quit what I've got because I really like it. The only job I'm sure I'd like more is being a physician.....or perhaps Dr. Ranger ;) LOL

I feel I just need to find a credible university that offers the organic chemistry and physics with labs online. Once I find those programs (and I've been googling) I'll contact UAMS and ask admissions what their take on it is. I guess I could apply to surrounding states, but I really want to go to UAMS. I used to take interhospital transfers up there, and I feel comfortable with the place. Plus, it's my state's school so it's cheaper, and really it's where I've wanted to go since I first considered medicine. I think if given the option of attending UAMS gratis or whatever the number one ranked medical school is gratis that I'd pick UAMS. :p

About the two parts of your question:

1. How will your background look? Hard to say without a solid GPA and MCAT. 3.45 isn't incredibly competitive but it could most likely be brought up to a competitive GPA. Being from Arkansas will definitely help, as others have said. I don't think your age will hurt, either, actually. It seems a lot of the applicants who get burned for age are 20 or younger. 27-30 is a pretty good age because you will have had college experiences, job experiences unrelated to medicine, and job experiences related to medicine -- so you can truly claim that you are making an informed decision and have looked at the other options in your life. So it's a mixed bag, I guess.

2. Are you committed enough? As others have said, only you know the answer to that. Look very closely at the curriculum of a four year medical school. Look at the financial risks you might or might not be taking. Ask yourself if you have other plans you want to fulfill in the next four years -- like children, a family, a house, a car, etc.? (<-- some of these plans might make medical school a little more difficult). Ask yourself how you feel about going back to school.

Good luck :luck::luck::luck:.

About the two parts of your question:

1. How will your background look? Hard to say without a solid GPA and MCAT. 3.45 isn't incredibly competitive but it could most likely be brought up to a competitive GPA. Being from Arkansas will definitely help, as others have said. I don't think your age will hurt, either, actually. It seems a lot of the applicants who get burned for age are 20 or younger. 27-30 is a pretty good age because you will have had college experiences, job experiences unrelated to medicine, and job experiences related to medicine -- so you can truly claim that you are making an informed decision and have looked at the other options in your life. So it's a mixed bag, I guess.

2. Are you committed enough? As others have said, only you know the answer to that. Look very closely at the curriculum of a four year medical school. Look at the financial risks you might or might not be taking. Ask yourself if you have other plans you want to fulfill in the next four years -- like children, a family, a house, a car, etc.? (<-- some of these plans might make medical school a little more difficult). Ask yourself how you feel about going back to school.

Good luck :luck::luck::luck:.

Thanks you!

My 3.45 original UGPA isn't stellar, but it was my "I'm having fun in college GPA." lol. I'm not really concerned about the MCAT especially at this point, but I've never been a bad test taker. In fact, when I was teaching I took the tests designed for physics and chemistry majors to get my license to teach those fields. I passed it having never taken physics in my life and general chemistry. I know that's not the MCAT, but it's an example of past "multiple guess" tests, lol.

I'm excited about the curriculum of a four year medical school. That's one of the most appealing parts I think. Maybe I'm a masochist. At this point in my life I can go to medical school. I'm single with no family, my new truck will be paid off by the time I go, and my house is provided free to me by the park service so I have no obligation there either. :D Medical schools is THE ONLY school I would ever care to go back for. I don't mind the idea of a residency either since I'll be practicing medicine to some degree and earning a smidgen of a living. It's what I want to do. Getting into medical school is really my only barrier.

Thanks again!

:xf:

If you cannot/don't want to quit your job, you'll be at a huge disadvantage. The adcoms will almost certainly interpret this as lack of commitment to medicine. They will not care why you didn't quit your job, even if you have a perfectly valid reason.

If you cannot/don't want to quit your job, you'll be at a huge disadvantage. The adcoms will almost certainly interpret this as lack of commitment to medicine. They will not care why you didn't quit your job, even if you have a perfectly valid reason.

I doubt that. Some people have families to support. Lots of people do the prereqs while working full time (1-2 classes at a time)

Members don't see this ad :)
I doubt that. Some people have families to support. Lots of people do the prereqs while working full time (1-2 classes at a time)

you won't get in taking 1-2 classes at a time. They want to see if you can handle a full science course load (15-18 credits). If you can't surrfice not making money for ten years, medicine is not the right career for you.

Since you'll focused on going to one specific school, just call them up and tell them what you've written here. The adcom officer will probably be more than happy to sit and chat with you. Ask about where to take the remaining courses and how it will be looked upon. If the person gives you a go on online courses (or whatever course of your choosing), then go for it. Be sure to ask about your current GPA (both overall and sci) to see if you have any deficiencies. The adcom officer may recommend taking more science classes to compensate for lower GPAs.

Take whatever you need to finish the premed stuff, and any other extra courses to pump up your GPA, then study hard for the MCAT and see what you get.

Plenty of nontrads work fulltime and do the premed stuff. It's hard, and there's a bit of lucky involved in getting everything done right, but definitely doable. You are also lucky that you live in a state that is nice to it's instaters. Not every state is like that.

I did my prereqs while working full time: took 9 post-bacc courses on a part time basis at a competitive university and got a ~4.0 post-bacc GPA and a 36 MCAT. My undergrad record didn't need rehabilitation. I have plenty of volunteering and strong letters of rec. I also have 0 acceptances. One of my interviewers spent the entire hour attacking me and telling me that I am strong academically but since I didn't quit my job and pursue medicine-related activities on a full-time basis he's concerned about my commitment to medicine. I was wait-listed a week later.

If you can work full time in a health-care related field, more power to you.
But working in a non health care field will be interpreted as a huge negative by the adcoms.

I did my prereqs while working full time: took 9 post-bacc courses on a part time basis at a competitive university and got a ~4.0 post-bacc GPA and a 36 MCAT. My undergrad record didn't need rehabilitation. I have plenty of volunteering and strong letters of rec. I also have 0 acceptances. One of my interviewers spent the entire hour attacking me and telling me that I am strong academically but since I didn't quit my job and pursue medicine-related activities on a full-time basis he's concerned about my commitment to medicine. I was wait-listed a week later.

But working in a non health care field will be interpreted as a huge negative by the adcoms.

I'm sorry, that has to be the worst advice I've ever heard.

I know plenty of people who finished up their pre-reqs while working and got into med school, including me.

Don't quit your job unless there is somone to support you financially.

I'd keep looking around for schools that offer the classes you need in the evenings. I took bio and organic chem at a CC in the evenings.

Asks the admissions offices if it matters online vs. CC vs. state university.

Frankly, if the admissions committees are so out of touch with reality then their medical school wouldn't be one I would want to attend anyway. I can't see how anyone could expect someone to sacrafice their life on a desparate chance of getting accepted to medical school. If you're not accepted then what? You've thrown away everything you've spent your life working for. I work to earning a living. I don't know about everyone else.

I'm sorry, that has to be the worst advice I've ever heard.

I know plenty of people who finished up their pre-reqs while working and got into med school, including me.

Don't quit your job unless there is somone to support you financially.

I'd keep looking around for schools that offer the classes you need in the evenings. I took bio and organic chem at a CC in the evenings.

Asks the admissions offices if it matters online vs. CC vs. state university.

Yeah, the advice of those here that suggested that I (and others) quit my job went unheard, lol. Thanks.

arkansas,
You should go for U of Arkansas. It's pretty easy to get in there as an in-state applicant.
Do not underestimate the difficulty of the MCAT, however. It seems that you are. Remember that the group you are competing with in taking this test is a group of high achieving A and B students...it will not be so easy to be on the good side of the bell curve as you are thinking, regardless of your being a good test taker. You need to trust me on this.

If you want to go to med school you need to get yourself some good health care related volunteer work, and start working on studying for the MCAT.

You should set up a meeting with an admissions counselor at U of Arkansas also. Find out what they want...from the horse's mouth.

Quitting your job right now I don't think you need to do, but you need to think about whether you actually want to give up a job you like for 7-10 years of not really having any money and not having control over your work/life balance and schedule. Is being a physician worth it to you? It requires serious introspection, which from your post I'm not sure you have finished doing yet.

arkansas,
You should go for U of Arkansas. It's pretty easy to get in there as an in-state applicant.
Do not underestimate the difficulty of the MCAT, however. It seems that you are. Remember that the group you are competing with in taking this test is a group of high achieving A and B students...it will not be so easy to be on the good side of the bell curve as you are thinking, regardless of your being a good test taker. You need to trust me on this.

If you want to go to med school you need to get yourself some good health care related volunteer work, and start working on studying for the MCAT.

You should set up a meeting with an admissions counselor at U of Arkansas also. Find out what they want...from the horse's mouth.

Quitting your job right now I don't think you need to do, but you need to think about whether you actually want to give up a job you like for 7-10 years of not really having any money and not having control over your work/life balance and schedule. Is being a physician worth it to you? It requires serious introspection, which from your post I'm not sure you have finished doing yet.

Oh, I'm not discounting the MCAT. I apologize for coming across like that. However, that's in the distant future for me so at this point it isn't a great concern of mine at this point in time. I've never even had physics in my life much less organic chemistry so it's not like I'll be taking it any time soon. My first task at getting thru this process is locating a source of those courses and then taking them.

As a matter of fact, I have an upcoming telephone discussion lined up with UAMS admissions to address such matters.

With regards to your last statement; I really like my job, and I could stick with it and probably retire happily. However, what I want to do more than this is in fact be a doctor. Since the day I graduated college I've wanted to go to medical school, yet nearly six years have passed with the idea being in my mind's eye so to speak. I'm still on the instrospection process as you say. I'm all too aware of the curve balls that life throws as I've done and enjoyed many things I never planned on doing. Fortunately, I still have over a year before being applying becomes a possibility, and two years is probably a better reality.

I do appreciate the replies and insight.

I am sorry this interviewer was so focused on a sliver of your application...but I have to respectfully disagree here... I worked full-time (2 jobs, 60-80 hours/week) while doing pre-reqs (9 credits/semester). I am a social worker- are there some parallels, yes. But not considered to be in the medical field when you work with juvenile delinquents.

I had a GPA that needed repair prior to my second undergrad degree, and my MCAT was good, not stellar, but solid. I had the volunteering, etc.

Of 10 schools, I was accepted to 7 and withdrew my app from the other three when I got accepted by my dream school. Working in a non-medical profession does not hurt when you show your commitment in other areas. Ad comms generally recognize that nontrads have to put food on the table somehow. It is just important to make sure you show your commitment in other areas.

You have some health care experience- you should build on that as you move forward. Also- the MCAT can be a killer, even if you are a good test taker (believe me, I learned this the hard way :rolleyes:). Master the MCAT, talk to you desired school, and get the prereqs you need.

As you move forward, it is normal to have doubts- Ad comms will ask you about why it took you so long to decide on medicine, how you know this is what you want to do, and how you will survive being poor after having a real income. Just be prepared for it. :)

I am sorry this interviewer was so focused on a sliver of your application...but I have to respectfully disagree here... I worked full-time (2 jobs, 60-80 hours/week) while doing pre-reqs (9 credits/semester). I am a social worker- are there some parallels, yes. But not considered to be in the medical field when you work with juvenile delinquents.

I had a GPA that needed repair prior to my second undergrad degree, and my MCAT was good, not stellar, but solid. I had the volunteering, etc.

Of 10 schools, I was accepted to 7 and withdrew my app from the other three when I got accepted by my dream school. Working in a non-medical profession does not hurt when you show your commitment in other areas. Ad comms generally recognize that nontrads have to put food on the table somehow. It is just important to make sure you show your commitment in other areas.

You have some health care experience- you should build on that as you move forward. Also- the MCAT can be a killer, even if you are a good test taker (believe me, I learned this the hard way :rolleyes:). Master the MCAT, talk to you desired school, and get the prereqs you need.

As you move forward, it is normal to have doubts- Ad comms will ask you about why it took you so long to decide on medicine, how you know this is what you want to do, and how you will survive being poor after having a real income. Just be prepared for it. :)

Social worker is a lot close to medicine than my job. Also, I am in California and it's likely I would have had better luck if this wasn't the case. My experiences and opinions are more applicable to the UCs.

I guess two questions are here. 1) My background is really different. How's that work for me in terms of the applicant process?

Yes, your background is non-traditional, however, many students find their own unique paths to medicine. There isn't one way to become a physician. I've had paramedics and professional musicians, nurses, etc. in my medical school class. It is OK if medicine is your second or third career. Having said this, it does seem that your history is full of short term careers, which could be a warning sign to a reviewer. There is really nothing that says you are able to stick with one thing for too long. Even so, you're still pretty young, and the interviewers will most likely forgive you for your apparent "inability to settle on a career," especially if you give them a good reason for why you kept switching careers.

In terms of your application process, the medical aspects of your careers can only help you. The nonmedical aspects can only help you if you tie them in to how those experiences will make you a better doctor. If you can't, then refrain from focusing on them during the application process.

2) Do you think I'm committed enough, or is it just a daydream? I question that because unlike some on this board I'm not willing to take such a risk.

I think your committment needs some adjustment. Becoming a doctor is a difficult and occasionally painful process, although extremely rewarding. People make serious sacrifices to become a physician. If you are not willing to make the sacrifices necessary now, you might want to rethink your plan. Re-evaluate what your priorities are, and base your decisions based on that. It's really up to you. There is only one right answer, and that answer is what works best for you, your priorities, and your values.

Good luck. :)

I guess two questions are here. 1) My background is really different. How's that work for me in terms of the applicant process?

Yes, your background is non-traditional, however, many students find their own unique paths to medicine. There isn't one way to become a physician. I've had paramedics and professional musicians, nurses, etc. in my medical school class. It is OK if medicine is your second or third career. Having said this, it does seem that your history is full of short term careers, which could be a warning sign to a reviewer. There is really nothing that says you are able to stick with one thing for too long. Even so, you're still pretty young, and the interviewers will most likely forgive you for your apparent "inability to settle on a career," especially if you give them a good reason for why you kept switching careers.

In terms of your application process, the medical aspects of your careers can only help you. The nonmedical aspects can only help you if you tie them in to how those experiences will make you a better doctor. If you can't, then refrain from focusing on them during the application process.

2) Do you think I'm committed enough, or is it just a daydream? I question that because unlike some on this board I'm not willing to take such a risk.

I think your committment needs some adjustment. Becoming a doctor is a difficult and occasionally painful process, although extremely rewarding. People make serious sacrifices to become a physician. If you are not willing to make the sacrifices necessary now, you might want to rethink your plan. Re-evaluate what your priorities are, and base your decisions based on that. It's really up to you. There is only one right answer, and that answer is what works best for you, your priorities, and your values.

Good luck. :)

Good wisdom there, and that's why I'm here. Thanks.

I do understand that my background is both lengthy and...shall we say unique, but I've only moved around because better chances were given to me. Throughout all that time I knew what I would liked to have been doing, but I was too much of a self-defeatist to be successful in medical school endeavors. I like what I'm doing now, and I would only turn my back on it if given the opportunity to study medicine. Right now I've got the second best job out there, and I'll most assuredly stick with it if medical school won't take me. :cool: I'd probably still work as a paramedic from time to time, but I once wasn't allowed to have the time off (six Saturdays) to undergo the recert so my option was to do that or stick with the primary income. Sometimes you just have to survive. I was able to keep the basic EMT though so that was ok.